mtbr member
    Sep 2007

66 vs 67 head Angle on the chil

well after riding almost 5 mounths on the 67 mode ive change it to 66 now ive rode on downhill bikes with 63.5 head angel so that should feel familiar (didn't change anything on the cockpit) however i felt that the bike lost its balance and i needed to add more weight on the front..even on a steep track!!
    so what do think?
    when you move from 67 to 66 do you lower the handelbar ?
    somehow the chil felt more at home on the 67 Angle mode ....

Biking Like Crazy!
    Changing the HA via the bottom shock bolt will also change the seat tube angle slacker thus moving your weight back and lower.
    Try moving your seat forward a bit to counteract this. Are you running a 170mm fork with an external headset also?
    I'm using a 160mm fork with a ZS headset so I don't notice the difference that much.
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    im on a 160mm with a normal headset....im riding with a 40 mm stem and 765 low rise handelbar keeping the front lean and low....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I switched to the angry mode too and found it to be much better. Keep riding with the weight in the front and you'll get used to it. It's a little more intimidating at the beginning but it gives you more control. That's what I found in my experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    I switched to the angry mode too and found it to be much better. Keep riding with the weight in the front and you'll get used to it. It's a little more intimidating at the beginning but it gives you more control. That's what I found in my experience.
    yup, chin over the stem
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    http://tweedlove.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    Changing the HA via the bottom shock bolt will also change the seat tube angle slacker thus moving your weight back and lower.
    Try moving your seat forward a bit to counteract this.

This.
    I kinda felt the same way as you with the slacker HA until I did as bionicman suggests. The tranformation was amazing. I moved the seat maybe 1/2" forward and dropped the nose maybe a cm. All of the sudden I had all the things I loved about the slacker HA for descending without the funny, off-the-back, too slack feeling while pedaling. It even seems to raise my sagged bb height a bit giving me fewer pedal strikes because my weight isn't so far back over the rear wheel.

I haven't touched it since. I haven't ridden anything that makes me want to put it back in the 67 mode yet. (We'll see about techy, ledgy climbs like at SoMo and Moab)

mtbr member
    I am hoping more people chime in on this. I am running mine in slack mode as that is closest to what I am used to. I have been dialing in the settings on the CCDBA so I haven't yet played with the other shock mount option. So, for those running in the steeper setting, why? Is it because of pedal clearance or another reason? I have noticed all the bikes on the Knolly web site are in steep mode. Is that considered the default position?
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    im on the 67 due to the tracks ....they are not that steep and i need the pedal clearance for the climes...but ive got used to it even on a dh style tracks...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    im a 170 mm fork with external cup so im thinking my steep position is 66.5 and i prefer this for pedal clearance and switch back type corners. I rarely find myself in terrain that requires the slack (65.5) position and if i do it is only part of a trail. In my mind, the slack position is for high speed dh with few sharp turns... so if you're running in the slack all the time I'd love to hear about your terrain

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post
    So, for those running in the steeper setting, why? Is it because of pedal clearance or another reason?
    Yes, and I tend to climb mostly techy singletrack and do a fair bit of true xc riding on this bike (with burly descents). On sections where you have to keep turning the cranks, I was having a bunch of pedal strikes. Initially, that was really bad because the air can wasn't the right size on the first group of frames - which I alleviated with the Fox spacers - but even after, I wasn't stoked on how much my pedals were hitting stuff and changed it then.

In the "steep" mode, I've been riding a fair bit of steep and/or flowy-bermy stuff (much of which our crew has built) and the bike has been slaying it. I might drop it into slack mode for some extended downhills this summer, but I've just not messed with it after I put it into the steeper setting. I'm probably due just for another side by side comparison.

EB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
    so if you're running in the slack all the time I'd love to hear about your terrain
    The bike is fairly new so I am still under 10 rides. It has been a fairly wide range of conditions, some local super D courses, some flow trail, some pure XC and one trail where we normally ride the big bikes. I haven't really had a problem with pedal strikes but I haven't done much in the way real rocky tech climbing yet. I like the way it corners and handles at speed in the slack setting.

The bike is set up with a 160mm fork and external cup headset. I live in Oregon, BTW.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Initially, that was really bad because the air can wasn't the right size on the first group of frames - which I alleviated with the Fox spacers
    I am assuming those are in a Fox shock. One thing I will say about the CCDBA, the mid stroke support is really good.
    - Albert Einstein

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post
    The bike is set up with a 160mm fork and external cup headset.
    DJ Giggity, that is something I should mention. I'm running a 36 with an 1 1/8" steerer tube and a zero stack headset, so that drops my front end about 10mm and my BB a bit as well vs. how most poeple have their bike setup. I think that's another reason why my pedal strikes on my up routes were so frequent.

Because of this and many other, threads, about the Head angle, I'm gonna drop into slack mode (all things remaining equal) to see if I like it again. Since I build/ride many of the same trails during the week, it's really easy for me to compare differences. The other thing I could do is move to an external bottom cup before moving it to slack mode, but I think I'll try one variable at a time.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    One thing that I learned here is that I have to change the cockpit when Im changeing the angle...its not on the fly you deffently need to set the bike corectly...
    any how im going to use your tips and set it on the 66 from the start