mtbr member

650B geometry versus wheel size

I realize that this post should probably go elsewhere, but......

I am reading stuff about the 650B. Everyone is discussing the wheel size. However, I have noticed that most of the new geometries of the 650B by the various companies are effectively 1 size bigger (longer wheelbase, top tube, and reach) than their 26 inch models. As I said before, this is one of the unique characteristics of Knolly frames -its geometry (i.e. effectively a bigger frame, with right size seattube length).

Geometry is the first thing I look for in a bike than suspension.

I doubt most of the folks riding the 650B recognize this geometric change and its influence versus the actual wheel size.

For example, Santa Cruz is notorious for having frames on the shorter side of the spectrum. However, the Bronson is completely different and more in line with Knolly geometry. The same goes for the Pivot Mach 6, Burner, etc. There are some 650B frames that remain short.

Not trying to start a debate, more noticing the new geometry and its potential oversight.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Interesting, it could be that designers learned something from 29ers as there seemed to be a bit of a change in thought as to how those lines ought to be picked as time progressed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have heard of and read a few articles around the internet and magazines, everyone has been saying that many manufactures are making longer top tubes but using shorter stems to counter-act that reach. Theoretically it helps with handling making your steering a little slower for better DH handling. Keeping in mind this is just what I have heard and now experienced with a SC Bronson. I rides better than any other bike I have ridden on the downs but feels the same on the ups.
    "These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I realize that this post should probably go elsewhere, but......

I am reading stuff about the 650B. Everyone is discussing the wheel size. However, I have noticed that most of the new geometries of the 650B by the various companies are effectively 1 size bigger (longer wheelbase, top tube, and reach) than their 26 inch models. As I said before, this is one of the unique characteristics of Knolly frames -its geometry (i.e. effectively a bigger frame, with right size seattube length).

Geometry is the first thing I look for in a bike than suspension.

I doubt most of the folks riding the 650B recognize this geometric change and its influence versus the actual wheel size.

For example, Santa Cruz is notorious for having frames on the shorter side of the spectrum. However, the Bronson is completely different and more in line with Knolly geometry. The same goes for the Pivot Mach 6, Burner, etc. There are some 650B frames that remain short.

Not trying to start a debate, more noticing the new geometry and its potential oversight.
    I think this is happening for making enough room for the slightly bigger diameter wheel so there is a feeling of riding within the bike with good balance/weight distribution from fore to aft. This allows for better traction and control and the longer reaches/top tubes help to achieve this. Also to be most compatible with shorter stems of course for better handling and steering when used with wider bars to make the descents better. Trail bikes these days are gradually becoming smaller/lighter DH machines that can rip up the hill to repeat as desired. No need for shuttlling anymore!
    Ride On!