Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

650b on a Chilcotin - with Pics!

Pacenti TL28 w/ 2.1 Neo-Moto....plenty of clearance!

Seat Stays

Chain Stays

Rear End

Granted the Neo-Moto is pretty small for AM/Light FR but there looks to be enough clearance to go a little bigger. More testing to come....

bikeboatbrewski
    You are my hero!

RideDirt
    Well besides just putting a tire on doesnt mean it works lol , did you actually take it out for a spin ? and what air pressure were you running in the tires ? Looks a bit too tight :/

mtbr member
    Why would you want to frankenbike such a great frame? I'm sure Noel just got a migraine and he is wondering WTF?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sorry, no rides to report...this was just a test fit on an unbuilt frame (I test fit the wheels into just about any frame that come through). Tires have 32 PSI, mounted to the 28mm wide rim. Not sure what kind of 650 clearance you are used too but this is more than a lot of frames offer. It may be a moot point because I am not sure a bigger tire will even fit but I think the possibilities are very cool.

....nothing frankenbike about 650b either....wave of the future my friends.....wave of the future. Assuming a bigger tire could squeeze in there I love the concept of a 6.3" travel enduro Chili with the rolling advantage of 650b's. It may be a moot point because I don't think I could fit a quasi-moto in there....but might be fun to play with nonetheless.

mtbr member
    I've had a V2 Titus Rockstar demo for a several weeks now so I am aware of the advantages of bigger wheels and the pitfalls. 650B may be the future but it will be on a frame that is designed around the wheel size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I've had a V2 Titus Rockstar demo for a several weeks now so I am aware of the advantages of bigger wheels and the pitfalls. 650B may be the future but it will be on a frame that is designed around the wheel size.
    Not sure I can find any advantages in a steep angled cross country 29er with gargantuan 18" chain stays like the Titus Rockstar....it is pretty much everything I find wrong with 29er's. Herein lies the beauty of 650b: we can keep our slack angles, long travel, and super short stays while still getting increased rollover. If I could squeeze one into my Endorphin I would swap it out in a heartbeat....although thinking about it I am not sure I would have the heart to....the bike is just so damn good the way it is....only bike I have every built that I have not made any changes to since build up.

mtbr member
    Really? Somebody neg repped me for this? Told me to "go away". Not going anywhere buddy, been a knolly owner for years and dont plan on that ever changing.

mtbr member
    Really? Somebody neg repped me for this? Told me to "go away". Not going anywhere buddy, been a knolly owner for years and dont plan on that ever changing.
    you can't try to derail the 650b freight train people will get their shorts in a knot. . still trying to figure who's begging for 650b, but somebody obviously is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just to be clear...I am not saying running 650b on a Chilcotin is a good or bad idea...just showing those that are interested that the Chili can squeeze a 650b in the back which makes me curious about what could be done with that. That is all. Just saying it fits.

mtbr member
    Not going anywhere buddy, been a knolly owner for years and dont plan on that ever changing.

mtbr member
    Glad to see it fit
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah I can't see what the purpose of putting 650b tires on a Chili, or any knolly for that matter. They were designed around 26" wheels, so ride them accordingly.

Seriously though, that clearance looks a little too close for comfort.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm holding out for the 25.75 format :-)

RideDirt
    Gotta love neg reps for replying in a forum LOL tools...

U $ 4 O?

no dl 31??

Quote Originally Posted by apat13 View Post
    Granted the Neo-Moto is pretty small for AM/Light FR but there looks to be enough clearance to go a little bigger. More testing to come....
    Man be careful, those will grow on you... used to try and cram the chunky tires on my hardtail, they bind up at the worst time

mtbr member
    regardless, the chili is a great 26" bike. i would want to try a dedicated 650b bike before i tried to bastardize a 26' model. maybe knolly has a 650b in the works, for me i'm more than happy on 26" and enjoy having tons of choice in rims, tires and forks.

once 650b has that stuff all lined up, maybe

RideDirt
    26 for life .. 26 or 29 or 27.5 or whatever you wanna call it .. Personally i still feel its all about the rider and not the wheels etc .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    26 for life .. 26 or 29 or 27.5 or whatever you wanna call it .. Personally i still feel its all about the rider and not the wheels etc .
    me too, i just feel it's kinda crazy to throw 650b wheels on a bike designed for 26". ride whatever you like, but once you start messing with a bikes original design, it's acrap shoot

Knomer
    What is "650"? Have I missed something?
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    apat 13, thanks for the information.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Well, this proves to me that most XCish 650b tires won't be significantly larger than a nice high volume 26er trail tire. My moderatly worn Advantage 2.4 on the rear has less than 3/8 inch clearance. As new I'm guessing it was maybe 1/8 of an inch smaller than that tire. I'll take good traction and a sturdier tire on this one. I'd still be curious about a 650b trailbike that was designed to fit something like a 2.4 Trail King.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    wow....Craigstr negative repped me for this thread. Really man? Not really sure what to make of that. At least I got my first negative rep....my cherry is popped!

For those that are interested, a Nevegal 650b rubbed....so it looks like any substantial 650b tire is not going to work.

Oh well, I guess now I will just go bask in my negative rep from craigstr....he is an official product tester and "brand ambassador" after all so I am sure I can learn something important from this.

mtbr member
    Retaliatory strike. If you didnt neg rep me then I apologize.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    wasn't me homie. I am just here to play with bikes.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast