Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 107
  1. #51
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,520
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Now I need to possibly add a Knolly Endorphin to my list of 650B lust for bikes. Needs to climb like a goat in gnarly rock and root infested New England terrain so I have much reading to do
    I told you, these Knollys are mighty tempting!

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    I told you, these Knollys are mighty tempting!
    Yeah but what the hell is wrong with us? We both have new bikes and we're already looking at other possibilities

    Would love to try one out and you know at least in New England you're not gonna see one out on the trail very often which I kinda like.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bdavis1369's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    13
    glad it worked

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,437

    Seems 10mm makes a difference

    I just fitted a 650b 2.3 TS Schwalbe Hans Dampf/Flow EX/Hope evo pro 2 wheel to the front only on my Chilcotin. The tyre weighed 838g and was fitted with a tube for now. The HD measures 705mm dia when inflated to 26 psi which is only 10mm bigger in diameter compared to the 26" Conti 2.4 Rubber Queen which I am running on the back. Consequently there is a minimal change in bb height and head angle. I was slightly disappointed at first that the difference in diameter was so little. The good thing about it though is that the 650b HD cleared the BOS Idylles without a problem. Should be no problem with the Devilles as well. What I wasn't expecting was the much better roll and grip. Corners really great and much faster and flowy downhill. Seems that 10mm can make a difference.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,718
    could just be that the HD is a better tire
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    could just be that the HD is a better tire
    It is possible and the only way to verify would be to try out a 26" version of the HD having not had any experience of that tyre before. I wonder, is there somebody out there who has tried both and can say if there is a real improvement with the 650b version?

  7. #57
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    I just fitted a 650b 2.3 TS Schwalbe Hans Dampf/Flow EX/Hope evo pro 2 wheel to the front only on my Chilcotin. The tyre weighed 838g and was fitted with a tube for now. The HD measures 705mm dia when inflated to 26 psi which is only 10mm bigger in diameter compared to the 26" Conti 2.4 Rubber Queen which I am running on the back. Consequently there is a minimal change in bb height and head angle. I was slightly disappointed at first that the difference in diameter was so little. The good thing about it though is that the 650b HD cleared the BOS Idylles without a problem. Should be no problem with the Devilles as well. What I wasn't expecting was the much better roll and grip. Corners really great and much faster and flowy downhill. Seems that 10mm can make a difference.
    How much clearance do you have on the rear chainstay with the 2.4 RQ?

    You know where this could be heading again!
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bullit_cn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,461
    [QUOTE=loamranger;9884754The HD measures 705mm dia when inflated to 26 psi which is only 10mm bigger in diameter compared to the 26" Conti 2.4 Rubber Queen which I am running on the back. Seems that 10mm can make a difference. [/QUOTE]

    10mm in diameter, that means only 5mm increase in radius?
    Will that really makes a difference?
    Another conscious mind on this 650b thing
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    How much clearance do you have on the rear chainstay with the 2.4 RQ?

    You know where this could be heading again!
    I would need to double check but around 6/7mm I would say.

    If it looks like the 650b HD might fit, then I'm going to try the front on the back, mocking it up using some spacers to convert from 20 to 12. I'll let you know.
    Last edited by loamranger; 11-19-2012 at 05:53 AM.

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    176
    did you measure the BB height?

  11. #61
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by cscsw View Post
    did you measure the BB height?
    Might be hard for loamranget to do as I think he is only going to have a front 650B to play with!

    Would be nice to know tho in the slack setting!
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

  12. #62
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,520
    The BB would be 1/2" higher for a full conversion and about 1/4" higher for front wheel only.

  13. #63
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    The BB would be 1/2" higher for a full conversion and about 1/4" higher for front wheel only.
    I could live with that, if the back WILL fit?
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,986
    If you have a Chili I would just run a 650B upfront and enjoy most of the benefits.

    If you are looking to buy I would wait for the 650B Chili to come out and not deal with any compromises.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by cscsw View Post
    did you measure the BB height?
    I'll need to get back to you on that with some measurements. There's only a 5mm difference in wheel radius so the bb will not change that much.

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    If you have a Chili I would just run a 650B upfront and enjoy most of the benefits.

    If you are looking to buy I would wait for the 650B Chili to come out and not deal with any compromises.
    Front only was my main aim, but I am curious to find out if the 650b HD will clear on the back. If it does clear it will be very tight I think. We shall see.

  17. #67
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    Front only was my main aim, but I am curious to find out if the 650b HD will clear on the back. If it does clear it will be very tight I think. We shall see.
    That's exactly what I plan on doing, but won't have my wheel for a couple more weeks!

    Going to be using a Fox Float 36 RC2 up front, with zero stack Works Comp headset (1 deg).

    Just was very curious also about the rear clearance.

    PS. the HD is a huge volume tire on my Rip9.
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    654
    Just doing some research and ill be honest i have limited knowledge regarding 650B rims. The chart below was posted by another forum user. It appears that options are limited even having searched the net repeatedly..

    If choosing a 650B rim for the front for heavy AM use, (NOT XC trails) can anyone recommend a strong 650B rim that is 36H with a welded not pinned junction? There have to be more options out there other than whats listed ...

    Can anyone share their experience please?

    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post

    BrandModelColorRim/DiscWidthWeightSpokesIssues
    AlexXD-Liteblack, silverdisc24mm?32, 36 
    Stan'sZTR355blackdisc24.4mm385g32 
    SunCR-18silverrim22.9mm495g32, 36 
    VelocityBluntblack, silver, whitedisc28mm459g32possibly under-sized
    VelocitySynergyblack, silverrim24mm472g32, 36possibly under-sized
    WeinmannZAC19silverrim23.6mm480g32 

  19. #69
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,520
    Velocity P35 / Blunt 35 - uber wide
    Pacenti TL28
    Pacenti DL31
    Pacenti CL25
    Stan's ZTR Flow Ex
    Stan's ZTR Arch Ex
    Stan's ZTR Crest
    Enve
    Chinese 650b $160 rims (std., AM)
    DT Swiss M480
    WTB LaserDisc Trail
    Sun Ringle Inferno
    Novatec Diablo
    Novatex FlowTrail

    ...and more. Unlike 12 months ago, there are quite a few rim and tire choices in the stores today. The 650b forum has quite a bit of info if you want to learn more.

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,718
    WTB i23 comes in 650b also

    https://bti-usa.com/public/item/WT2191
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Just doing some research and ill be honest i have limited knowledge regarding 650B rims. The chart below was posted by another forum user. It appears that options are limited even having searched the net repeatedly..

    If choosing a 650B rim for the front for heavy AM use, (NOT XC trails) can anyone recommend a strong 650B rim that is 36H with a welded not pinned junction? There have to be more options out there other than whats listed ...

    Can anyone share their experience please?
    I'm using Flow EX 650b, 32 hole, around 25mm inside, 28mm outside. Laced to Hope evo pro 2 front weighs 900g. Coming next year are the Syntace 650b rims in different widths, 30, 35 and 40mm. Also the Pacent rims are getting good reviews. So plenty of rim choice for heavy AM use I would say. At this time I would say the choice of tyre for AM is limited to either the Schwalbe HD ( availablle in 2.25 and 2.35 and three types including a DH version) and the Pacenti Neo Motos in 2.35. I'm really liking the 2.35 HD Triple Star (838g).

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Velocity P35 / Blunt 35 - uber wide
    Pacenti TL28
    Pacenti DL31
    Pacenti CL25
    Stan's ZTR Flow Ex
    Stan's ZTR Arch Ex
    Stan's ZTR Crest
    Enve
    Chinese 650b $160 rims (std., AM)
    DT Swiss M480
    WTB LaserDisc Trail
    Sun Ringle Inferno
    Novatec Diablo
    Novatex FlowTrail

    ...and more. Unlike 12 months ago, there are quite a few rim and tire choices in the stores today. The 650b forum has quite a bit of info if you want to learn more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    WTB i23 comes in 650b also

    https://bti-usa.com/public/item/WT2191
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    I'm using Flow EX 650b, 32 hole, around 25mm inside, 28mm outside. Laced to Hope evo pro 2 front weighs 900g. Coming next year are the Syntace 650b rims in different widths, 30, 35 and 40mm. Also the Pacent rims are getting good reviews. So plenty of rim choice for heavy AM use I would say. At this time I would say the choice of tyre for AM is limited to either the Schwalbe HD ( availablle in 2.25 and 2.35 and three types including a DH version) and the Pacenti Neo Motos in 2.35. I'm really liking the 2.35 HD Triple Star (838g).
    Thanks fellas. 650B forum is fairly hodge podge ATM but will relook there. Wheelset combo will be a 27.5" up front and of course 26" rear

    26" Rear Wheel (current):

    Mavic 721, CK Hub w/stainless steel cassette body, DT champion spokes & brass nips, Conti TK 2.2" black chili

    27.5" Front Wheel (Proposed)

    Velocity P35, Hadley hub, DT competition spokes & brass nips, not entirely sure about tire clearance so will do more research regarding this. Front wheel will be on a 2011 Fox 160mm Van R2C Coil. Tires of similar thickness across and weight would be ideal. Comboing a TK in back and a HD up front felt decent enough when I tested on 26" rims.

    In the slack position I am already having pedals strikes with my 175mm cranks despite a Conti TK 2.4 up front and a Cane Creek external lower headset cup. Once I am done building the 27.5" front wheel I will revert back to the steeper frame setting and see how it feels and post back.

    Appreciate the help once again!

    PS. Still hoping for a new Delirium.

    The SC Podium we were experimenting feels somewhat long for my usage intentions despite the -ve angleset cups. Great going down however.
    Last edited by Chromagftw; 11-22-2012 at 05:31 PM.

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    21

    650b rear will not work!

    No one read eadubber's first post. Knolly has a pivot on the chain stay. If you hit a bump, the tire will hit the chain stay. It has nothing to do with fitting the tire on the bike stand. Try moving the chain stay all the way in on your Delirium-T and go for a ride - you will end up with slicks! I'll bet ya that is why Noel dumped that feature.

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    What is "650"? Have I missed something?

    It's a new wheel size that's going to triple bike sales at Target, Walmart, and Sports Chalet.

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoFRdr View Post
    No one read eadubber's first post. Knolly has a pivot on the chain stay. If you hit a bump, the tire will hit the chain stay. It has nothing to do with fitting the tire on the bike stand. Try moving the chain stay all the way in on your Delirium-T and go for a ride - you will end up with slicks! I'll bet ya that is why Noel dumped that feature.
    Yes, agreed. This actually is for a FRONT wheel only application. I edited my earlier post to make it clearer. Thks

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •