Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RideDirt

3 rear coil shocks - help me make up my mind !?

Ok so , the rp23 is just not cutting it for me or maybe I got spoiled with my downhill bike , either way I need a coil shock . I ride northeast chunk so it's lots of roots , rocks, and mud . Also , I'm going to be using this for some light downhill runs too . Ok so I have my mind set on 3 options for now. I'm not really looking to tinker with adjustments too much anymore so simple and effective is what I like.

Rider weight: 200lbs and I ride aggressive .. Like chunky rocky steep trails and a few drops and jumps.

1. Woodie shock from Craig @ Avy
    2. Fox Van RC and over hauled by Craig
    3. Fox DHX RC4 shock and use it as is

So , what " Xmas present " should I buy . This is for a Knolly Chilcotin by the way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Northeast chunk rider here - CT, MA, NH, and VT. Also very similar riding style - aggressive (with plenty of backwoods freeride). I recently switched from a RP23 to an Avy'd Van RC and the difference is almost unimaginable. This was especially apparent on fast descents through extremely rooty and rocky terrain. Stealing from another user, it makes "the back end disappear." Also I was pleasantly surprised that the Chili retained it's "bottomless" feeling, perhaps even more so. I have yet to find a drop that truly felt like it bottomed the bike. As far as climbing, in my experience, the Van RC really shines in the techy stuff. Now that I've dialed the LSC, the bike just seems to stick to the trail at all times.

I chose the Van RC (over a very similar set of choices as you have) for several reasons: cost, recommendations (performance nearing a woodie, though having never ridden one I can't vouch for that), and aesthetics. The last item is personal preference obviously, some really like the way Avy's shocks look.

I can't comment on the use of a straight RC4, but when I questioned Craig about an RC4 tune instead of a Van RC, he told me the Van RC is a much better option due to the smaller size of the shaft (and therefore reduced oil flow).

Hope this helps.

RideDirt
    Ok great thanks ! I have been leaning towards the van rc , and that's what I had on my DH bike an it tracked really good as felt like a feather on drops .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by easygonow View Post
    Northeast chunk rider here - CT, MA, NH, and VT. Also very similar riding style - aggressive (with plenty of backwoods freeride). I recently switched from a RP23 to an Avy'd Van RC and the difference is almost unimaginable. This was especially apparent on fast descents through extremely rooty and rocky terrain. Stealing from another user, it makes "the back end disappear." Also I was pleasantly surprised that the Chili retained it's "bottomless" feeling, perhaps even more so. I have yet to find a drop that truly felt like it bottomed the bike. As far as climbing, in my experience, the Van RC really shines in the techy stuff. Now that I've dialed the LSC, the bike just seems to stick to the trail at all times.

I chose the Van RC (over a very similar set of choices as you have) for several reasons: cost, recommendations (performance nearing a woodie, though having never ridden one I can't vouch for that), and aesthetics. The last item is personal preference obviously, some really like the way Avy's shocks look.

I can't comment on the use of a straight RC4, but when I questioned Craig about an RC4 tune instead of a Van RC, he told me the Van RC is a much better option due to the smaller size of the shaft (and therefore reduced oil flow).

Hope this helps.
    This entire post is so full of win. I agree on all counts. Was again amazed at my Avy'd Van RC again yesterday.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    my CCDB coil is sensative to adjustments so you could probably get it to work well for you ;-)

RideDirt
    What size shocks can we run on the frame? I forgot to ask that . Thx !

mtbr member
    per website
    •Shock size: 7.875 x 2.25

mtbr member
    7.875z2.25" stroke

RideDirt
    Thx guys!

%$#$*!
    Better get the Woodie or else you'll always be wondering!

RideDirt
    Tough choices here ...Either the Van RC sent to Craig with the extended reservoir cap or the Woodie.. Price wise will be about the same .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Tough choices here ...Either the Van RC sent to Craig with the extended reservoir cap or the Woodie.. Price wise will be about the same .
    when price is getting close i personally would just get the woodie. if you find a deal on the vanilla, then go that way as it does make sourcing a ti spring easier as the avalanche shocks need 1.5" id springs which are hard to find in ti at a good price

mtbr member
    If price is going to be the same I would go with the Woodie. Craig builds a top quality shock.

I went with a used DHX to save some money. You can pick up a DHX or Van RC for about $150 on ebay or in the classifieds. When I bought mine I had the seller send it directly to Craig. I saved well over $200 by going this route.

Either way you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    If price is going to be the same I would go with the Woodie. Craig builds a top quality shock.

I went with a used DHX to save some money. You can pick up a DHX or Van RC for about $150 on ebay or in the classifieds. When I bought mine I had the seller send it directly to Craig. I saved well over $200 by going this route.

Either way you won't be disappointed.
    i've been having a hard time finding a vanilla rc

RideDirt
    Yea i have been looking and i cant find anything in the size we need for our frames .. I was going to just buy a RC new for $310 , but then $200 for craigs service plus $50 for the extended reservoir and prob like $10 to have it shipped to him. Figure with taxes etc will be like $580 total while his shock is $599 .

As far as steel or TI spring , im not worried about that.. I dont think there is much of a weight difference anyways.

Knollician
    Funny, since Craig started tuning DHXs and Vans, there is a shortage.

If price is close, just get the Woodie. There is significantly more oil, a rubber bladder for zero stiction, and a bomb proof chassis.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Yea i have been looking and i cant find anything in the size we need for our frames .. I was going to just buy a RC new for $310 , but then $200 for craigs service plus $50 for the extended reservoir and prob like $10 to have it shipped to him. Figure with taxes etc will be like $580 total while his shock is $599 .

As far as steel or TI spring , im not worried about that.. I dont think there is much of a weight difference anyways.
    $310 minus 15% with the vip15 coupon at universal cycles brings the rc down to $265 and free shipping within the usa. no taxes if you aren't in the store's state either

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    To echo what others have said, if the cost is that close I would go with the Woodie rather than Avy'd Van RC. I ran an avy Chubbie on my last bike (Turner RFX) It was an Awesome shock. Still running a DHS on my Highline.

That said I have no complaints about my CCDB air on my chilcotin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    $310 minus 15% with the vip15 coupon at universal cycles brings the rc down to $265 and free shipping within the usa. no taxes if you aren't in the store's state either

That's what I did since from Universal it comes with the correct spring I needed and the right hardware, etc. They shipped it directly to Craig for me.

RideDirt
    Hmm is that code still working ? I have bought a lot from them and def wouldn't mind a little break haha ... Yea I think having it sent directly to Craig would be the best thing to do..

mtbr member
    Hmm is that code still working ? I have bought a lot from them and def wouldn't mind a little break haha ... Yea I think having it sent directly to Craig would be the best thing to do..

They change the codes every month now, here are the November codes they sent me:

"turkey10": Take 10% off orders over $100
    "turkey15": Take 15% off orders over $300

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I went through the same thing, ended up with the Woodie and couldn't be happier.

I tried finding a used shock to send in, or finding a new shock at a price that made sense, but once the price is close to 275/300, and I took into account having to have Craig make reducers, the cost was a wash. I figured I'd rather have a product that was designed with minimal constraints as opposed to adapting another chassis to fit a given purpose. Of course, if you have reducers to fit, this is not a big consideration.

Craig was great to work with, even with the hurricane barreling down!

mtbr member
    Yeah, either way, modded Fox or Woodie, you will be golden and in suspension heaven. Both have their small pros and cons, but honestly it really six of one half dozen of the other.

The one thing I do like about the modded Fox is that there are less adjustments to fiddle with (I really like this after years of riding CCDB's), and the springs are easier to source when needed, as someone mentioned.

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing, and what you think after your first ride when you can finally wipe the **** eating grin off your face.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    I went through the same thing, ended up with the Woodie and couldn't be happier.

I tried finding a used shock to send in, or finding a new shock at a price that made sense, but once the price is close to 275/300, and I took into account having to have Craig make reducers, the cost was a wash. I figured I'd rather have a product that was designed with minimal constraints as opposed to adapting another chassis to fit a given purpose. Of course, if you have reducers to fit, this is not a big consideration.

Craig was great to work with, even with the hurricane barreling down!
    Yea that makes sense , and no i dont have reducers laying around to fiddle with the shock. I think the Van RC doesn't have an adjustable HSC knob right ( stacked with spacers internally)? As with the Woodie it has that adjustment if im not mistaken. I still added up the cost even with the discount and direct shipment to Craig which comes out to $515 for the Avy'd RC or spend a little extra for the Woodie @ $599 .

Im not worried about cost considering how much our bikes cost to build up , im just looking for best function for the price . If the Avy'd RC has a barely noticeable effect compared to the Woodie , then id just opt for the RC but if its going to be THAT much of a difference between the 2 of them then ill drop the extra $85 bucks and seal the deal with the Woodie . Also when it comes time for maintenance , i want to be able to source what i need anytime without hassle .

My Kona Operator came with a Van RC and when setup properly i was able to really just rip at my DH park and the rear end just ate up everything.

Riding on a buddies Turner equipped with a DHX RC4 i had the same feeling , super plush , active , and just ate everything up. Both seemed to track very good and the rear end wasnt sloppy one bit .

Im also not in a huge hurry either since DH season has ended already and i just got back on a bike from my injury that happened early July this year ( Separated R AC and fractured scapula in 3 different areas ) . So im starting to i guess re learn to ride again without thinking of my injury lol so im not doing anything ballsy yet to really push my bike . I just hate the RP23 so far feels so boring after a mini session this past week with a couple drops and steep rocky trails .

ಠ_ಠ
    There is rock shox vivid on eBay right now that looks interesting. Will Craig tune those?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast