Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Knollician

... and if we just ... A 26.9lb Endorphin is born...

Thoughts coming..

"Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Knollician
    OK, so how did this start? Well, it started with me foolishly buying a Pivot Mach429. This is a bike I never got along with and wasnít best suited for the XC and light trail riding we do. The bike was easily over matched by our terrain. I had begun to look at replacing the frame with something in the 120mm range (a RIP9 was the leading candidate)Öand then it happened. The reviews of the new Endo started hitting.

When Dude! and pferrell started providing their thoughts on the Endo, I really began to become interested. Most importantly, all of the reviews I had read were stating that the new Endo was nothing like the old Endo, nor was it a Chili LITE. This was a different bike altogether. It was a fast, rippiní XC/trail bike. A few emails back and forth with DB about frame specifics and I was sold. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, and was I in for a surprise. I didnít want my old Endo or Chili LITE, I already had the Chili, which is better than the old Endo in every respect. I needed a capable trail bike that I could ride in Sedona, Flag, Colorado, and my weekday rides at T100 which are less aggressive than the rides at SOMO. I can see myself hitting National on occasion, and National West on the Endo.

So, one night I decide to sell the Pivot and put the money toward the Endo. After only a few days, I was able to sell the Pivot and the following day the order was placed. After looking at pricing out a build kit, I decided to go with the Knolly SRAM XX build kit to complement the frame. I figured this would be the best way for me to keep costs down (otherwise I would have gone King hubs, Hope brakes, etc.) and would be eating Ramen noodle soup for the next 3 months. The kit is very well put together, and I only had a few concerns. 1. The Hope hubs have lackluster engagement, but are pretty durable and 2. The Avid XX brakes. The brakes are superlight, but the previous generations were made of magnesium and were very problematic. The 2013 product is all aluminum, so issue should be resolved. I did replace the Fox 34 CTD XYZ ABC 123 fork with a 2013 Revelation 150 RCT3. I did this as I prefer RS products, and the fork is nearly .5lb lighter than the 34. And my goal with this bike was to be in the low 26lb range, as I wanted as much separation from the Chili possible. I have weighed the bike a 3 locations, and the lightest weigh is 26.9lb, so I'm rolliní with it

I did receive the fork last night, was able to complete the build, and dirtbag and I did a nice 30 mile break-in ride today. The ride consisted of some canal time, T100 from west to east, back to 1A, and back to dirtbagís place. This is the exact type of ride I bought this bike for. Iíve done this ride many times on the 429, so I can offer some insight. First, the Pivot was over just shy or maybe a bit over 29lbs. I was running 26/38 and 11-36, and the Endo is the same. I have baby chicken legs (not the strongest guy you will see), and was rippiní all the climbs in the 38T today.

First, the bike pedals very well. I ran 30% sag, Iím running the 2.35 Minion DHF/DHR combo, and exclusively ran the shock in the Descend or Open mode. I found this bike likes the rebound to be a bit faster. Hopping on the bike, though the geometry feels very similar to the Chili (Iím running a 70 stem on both, and run the Chili in the steep mode all the time), you can tell this bike is not intended for the same terrain. This bike is a bit snappier, quicker, lower, and seems to have a subtle amount of platform very early on in the travel. Unlike some of the other posters, I felt the bike was very supple and climbed exceptionally well. Iím not sure the best way to describe it yet, but it is not the same type of supple the Chili has. One thing this bike screams for is out of the saddle efforts. I found it very rewarding to get up and hammer climbs. Being out of the saddle seemed to add to the traction. I never spun a tire, no doubt helped by the DHR. Technical climbs were limited today, but the ride is full of loose shale and the bike never wavered. It is exceptionally stiff, like Chili stiff, and encourages you to go faster. I was constantly running 1-2 gears bigger compared to the 429. Surely much of it being due to the lack of heft and the 26 v 29 wheel. The descending is notably Knolly, very controlled.

Iím seriously stoked on this bike. I wasnít sure what to expect based on the info I have had to date. This bike will be perfect for our longer ride days, and days where the Chili just might be too much bike. The Endo is 6-7lbs lighter than the Chili, which no doubt helps. This bike will never see the likes of Holbert, Geronimo, Cochise, OLA, Goat Camp etc. Those duties are reserved for the Chili.

A few things to nit-pick on. I would like a wider bar. The Joystick is 725, I would like 745 or so. The bar is very nice though. Iím hoping I can get used to it as I would rather not replace it. The saddle is very nice as well. Iím not experiencing and saddle soreness after a 30 mile ride which speaks volumes. And finally, I think Fox has gone backwards with the RP23. I actually am not as disappointed with the shock as some, but in the descend mode is a bit light on compression dampening. The Trail1 setting seems to have too much platform for me. None of the above issues are really issues. The build kits need to cover a larger range of people, so I think it is very well specíd.
    Last edited by tiSS'er; 01-05-2013 at 05:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Wow - that's light for a 3 ring setup Nice build. What fork is that - revelation? I looking to change out my fork. It will be great to hear your thoughts.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Wow - that's light for a 3 ring setup Nice build. What fork is that - revelation? I looking to change out my fork. It will be great to hear your thoughts.
    It is a 2 ring setup, 26/38 Race Face Next. Stupid light crank. I can see this being the perfect 1x10 bike, after todays ride, I'm not sure I would want anything less than a 38T though!

The fork is a revelation 150 RCT3, 3.8lbs (solo air). It felt great today, and is rather stiff. I never noticed it doing anything badly. Sure, its not a Lyrik with an Avy damper, but it felt great and I'm glad I went with it. Very supple, well controlled, and works well with the Endo

mtbr member
    Looks awesome. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
    TG

mtbr member
    Very nice, looks great!!!

Anxious to hear more of what you think as you get more rides on it.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    It is a 2 ring setup, 26/38 Race Face Next. Stupid light crank. I can see this being the perfect 1x10 bike, after todays ride, I'm not sure I would want anything less than a 38T though!

The fork is a revelation 150 RCT3, 3.8lbs (solo air). It felt great today, and is rather stiff. I never noticed it doing anything badly. Sure, its not a Lyrik with an Avy damper, but it felt great and I'm glad I went with it. Very supple, well controlled, and works well with the Endo
    Great review! 38 tooth 1x10 doesn't sound like chicken legs.

Thanks for the fork info - the RCT3 solo air is exactly the one I have my sights set on. It will be a 1 lb lighter than the float 36.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    WOW that's a great looking bike!!

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Looks good Brando! I'm sure you're going to love it.

mtbr member
    What's the Rev RCT3 in terms of options? Is it just a fixed 150mm fork, or have a lockout, dual position, etc?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    What's the Rev RCT3 in terms of options? Is it just a fixed 150mm fork, or have a lockout, dual position, etc?
    I went with the 150 Solo Air which can be cut every 10mm, they also have the a dual position version which adds 80 grams. As for the damper, well, in typical SRAM fashion, the data is very limited. There is a 3 position compression adjustment. Open, partial, and lockout. There is a LSC adjustment, but I only think that is functional in the middle setting. When I played with the LSC in the open setting, it didn't seem to have any effect.

1 thing of note here, I always service my forks before install. Due to the excitement, I nearly passed, but glad I did not. When I pulled the lowers, 3 drops of oil came out. I literally counted 3 drops. So I pulled the air piston, it was well greased, soaked the foam rings, and put 8ml of oil in the lowers.

The fork was incredibly supple, but I did not even take note that there are no oil seals, only foam rings and dust seals. I did have a bunch of weeping today, I'm hoping it has more to do with the service I did and not the lack of a proper oil seal. In any case, Enduro offers a oil seal, so it can be fixed easily.

Really impressed with the fork, pretty darn stiff for a 32mm 150mm fork.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post
    Looks good Brando! I'm sure you're going to love it.
    Thanks Lance. It will be a perfect compliment to the Chili. Really excited by the ride today.

undercover brother
    I don't know whats more beautiful, the bike or your lawn... seriously, that looks like carpet.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    seriously, that looks like carpet.
    That's because it is

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    That's because it is

Very nice! Less time for yard work. More time for riding

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the info on the fork.

mtbr member
    Gosh that is purely amazing. I love that color!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    great build - p.s who makes the bike stand you're using in the photos, am after a new bike stand...cheers

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by fatwheeled View Post
    great build - p.s who makes the bike stand you're using in the photos, am after a new bike stand...cheers
    Feedback Sports

RAKK - Bicycle Storage & Display Stand (Black)

mtbr member
    Very nice!

I like the pic of RJ at the end!
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miťrcoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Nice build man. All you are missin now in the photo is a Podium to complete the Knolly Trifecta.
    On a side note do you think the 26/38 combo would work for someone with fairly weak legs? I will be doing a fair bit of climbing.

mtbr member
    Very nice !!!!

mtbr member
    Nice!
    Looks fast.

mtbr member
    Well now that's a surprise! From the other thread, I would have guessed your Christmas Knolly was a Podium. Great build, and I am with you. Totally stoked on the way the bike rides. Looks like you were very deliberate in pushing the Chilcotin to cover the Delirium end of things while making sure your Endo was on the XC end of the spectrum.

I now have 6 rides on my Endo and I am climbing better than ever, but still bombing like a madman. My Marz 55 pushes my Endo into more of the Chili-Lite that we have discussed in the other thread, but it's still very snappy. I am having my CTD shock custom tuned by a pro - can't wait!

Love the color, and the crankset especially. Nice stable. Looking forward to more reports!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nice bike.....love the color

goodluck with it...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast