Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Yes! Saw this at PMP too and thought it was a chili. Great job with the build!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Yes! Saw this at PMP too and thought it was a chili. Great job with the build!
    Bet if you ask nice, they will build Tecate paint scheme for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Tiss'er, both your bikes look amazing. I just sold my chilli, due to sizing, and am considering the endorphin or another chilli. How does the sizing compare between the chilli and endo? I realize they are listed with the same tt and reach numbers just wanted some real world feedback.

Sorry for the thread high jacking but I don't have enough posts to start a thread and this seemed like the best place to ask. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coddog View Post
    Tiss'er, both your bikes look amazing. I just sold my chilli, due to sizing, and am considering the endorphin or another chilli. How does the sizing compare between the chilli and endo? I realize they are listed with the same tt and reach numbers just wanted some real world feedback.

Sorry for the thread high jacking but I don't have enough posts to start a thread and this seemed like the best place to ask. Thanks
    Curious, what was the sizing issue?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The frame was just to big. I'm 5'10.5" and I just couldn't get comfortable on the large. Seated it was fine but while standing the reach was to much even with a 50mm stem. Made it feel like I was on on top of the bike and i had trouble with weighting the front end in the turns.

Knollician

I'm running both bikes with 70mm Thomson stems and Thomson posts. The cockpits feel the same to me.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks tisser, I should fit comfortably on a medium either way I go. Now I just need to decide between the chili and endorphin.

mtbr member
    The frame was just to big. I'm 5'10.5" and I just couldn't get comfortable on the large. Seated it was fine but while standing the reach was to much even with a 50mm stem. Made it feel like I was on on top of the bike and i had trouble with weighting the front end in the turns.

Just curious what your inseam is? I'm 5' 11" and my large Chili seems to fit me just perfectly with a 50mm stem. I've ridden Cheezwhip's medium and it was def too small overall.

But I do have longer legs (33" inseam) and long arms, so that might be why it works for me.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Yebo Numzaan
    sucks being a 'tweener' hey! I am 5'10" (31 inseam) and often struggle with sizing. Saying that however...every L bike i have ever owned was too big and I regretted going with L (lesson learnt).

My last mistake was a L Blur (which has a long seat tube) and I always used the same description as coddog...I felt like i was 'on top' of the bike.

Super stoked with my M Knollys and a 50 - 60 stem and 29 - 30 in bars
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Just curious what your inseam is? I'm 5' 11" and my large Chili seems to fit me just perfectly with a 50mm stem. I've ridden Cheezwhip's medium and it was def too small overall.

But I do have longer legs (33" inseam) and long arms, so that might be why it works for me.
    My inseam is also 33". I also have a large blur trc that fits well and a large intense slope style that feels slightly large but works great with a 35mm stem. The chilcotin was just a little to nervous feeling with a 35mm stem for my intended purpose.

Muttonchops,
    I feel your pain. Sold my large blur lt a couple months ago for the exact same reason as you, but I was foolish enough to buy another large frame without riding it first. Thinking a med knolly should fit perfect for me, so I may give a med chili or endo a try.

TSC
    Buehliever
    It's personal preference at your size. I always buy mediums though I have a 33.5" inseam, a +6" Ape Index, and was 5' 10" until my "shortening procedure". I could ride a large but I like the feel of a tight cockpit.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    I just went the opposite way. I am 6' with a 34" cycling inseam. I loved the medium, it was small and easily tossed around. But for me the top tube was just too short. I would have too get too far back on the steep stuff and then the front would flop. Only a week of riding on the large so far but I am not regretting the change.

If only we could have swapped!
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Yebo Numzaan

ready to shred

Finished my build this afternoon...but got stuck with a work issue and didnt get to ride. The weekend beckons and i cant wait. I ripped the Chilly apart a week ago and have been riding my HT for the last couple weeks...this is going to be a treat.

Mostly XT, Elixir brakes, KS Seatpost, RS Revelation fork, Whisky bars and a couple spare parts that were lying around. 1x10 with a 36T up front.

Untitled

Untitled

Respect!

Untitled
    I support EMBA

TSC
    Buehliever
    Nice!!!

I'm excited to hear how you like it.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    Great looking bike. You must have massive legs, 'cause there's no way I could get away with 36x36 as my easiest gear! Do you have your seatpost set for riding in those pictures? It looks like the KS is compressed about halfway. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Good to see these ride reports on the new Endorphin. I'd like to see some reports on folks who've built them up a bit heavier 30-32 lbs with 160 fork. I know pfarrell and others have said it's not Chili-lite (which is kinda how I'd describe my 5 Spot), but it would be interesting to see how it compares to the Spot in this guise.
    Like this for example?

A 26.9lb Endorphin is born...-muddyendo.jpg

XL 29.75 lbs with 2012 Marz 55 Microswitch TA. I absolutely love the 160 fork on this bike. I have travel adjust, but don't need it. The 66.5ish head angle is perfect! I will put a KS LEV on it, and I may lighten it up with a 160mm X-Fusion Slant when they are available. I love the Marz - but it is heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Respect!

Untitled
    Looks awesome Dave!

Skip work and get shredding!
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post
    You must have massive legs, 'cause there's no way I could get away with 36x36 as my easiest gear!
    My Chili is 34t chainring/11-32 cassette, and it's not that bad. Amazing what you can mash through when you don't have other gear choices!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Finished my build this afternoon...but got stuck with a work issue and didnt get to ride. The weekend beckons and i cant wait. I ripped the Chilly apart a week ago and have been riding my HT for the last couple weeks...this is going to be a treat.

Mostly XT, Elixir brakes, KS Seatpost, RS Revelation fork, Whisky bars and a couple spare parts that were lying around. 1x10 with a 36T up front.
    Awesome, awesome, awesome. Can't wait to see pics/vid of you ripping the trails!

Knollician
    I thought I would provide some updated thoughts as I have made a few small changes to the Endo, and have taken it on a few additional rides.

I changed the stock 2.35 DHF/DHR tires out for a 2.3 Butcher Control on the front and a 2.2 The Captain GRID on the rear. More on that later.

Last week, I did a reasonably lengthy XC ride on the Arizona Trail. This is a ride which is very XC oriented and the type of ride where I figured the Endo would a bit of a compromise compared to the Pivot 429. Although I believe the Pivot would have been a better option here, the Endo did quite well. I was the only guy on a 26er, and the leader of the group was on a 25lb Jet RDO. I was able to hang up front with the AZMC, probably had to work a bit harder than he did for much of the ride, but that is to be expected, especially considering the tires I was running. A DHR will hardly roll as well as a Kenda Small Block 8. This is an out and back ride, and the out is mostly a gradual climb. I did struggle climbing some super tight, steep switchbacks with the Endo. The front end was a bit light and the longer wheel base didn't help any either. Coming down was not issue.

Heading back, was a riot on the Endo. The trip back is the type of descent where you can pedal a big gear, have some great sweeping and tight corners, some nice chicanes, and a few short tech sections. The Endo just ripped this terrain up. It pedals so well, yet uses the travel exceptionally. It corners so confidently that you juts maintain speed so well. I know for a fact that many of the tighter sections would have been slower on the 429. What I love about the Endo is just how short and light the rear end is. You can get hard on the front brake, get the rear really light, and either whip it and place it to square off a corner, or you can get it drifting easily. Such a cool feeling. This also lends well to compressing the bike and squaring off corners as well.

This week, I decided to take the Endo on National. For those that have ridden here, you know National is a more flowy type trail, but has some chunky sections that will test a bike. National is by no means Holbert or Goat Camp, in terms of tech, but it still delivers. I typically reserve these rides for the Chili. Climbing up National I struggled with traction on the 3 main tech sections. Some of the issue was finding the right gearing, some was attributable to the tires, and others to the rider. I have the Chili just so dialed on these sections, that I can just monster truck up them. The Endo requires a bit more english. The climbing was certainly quicker on the Endo. I was concerned that maybe I had chosen the wrong tool for the project on this ride, but boy was I wrong. Once I hit the top, I ran into a few buddies who were heading down. I padded up and joined them. Vic took off (he is on a Firebird) like a rabbit, and I took chase. This was the best possible thing that could have happened to me. Hammering on this bike is incredible, and took my focus away from being under-biked. Through even the roughest section, I was right on his tail. The bike is ridiculously stiff, and I was overly impressed by the Revelation as well. I did bottom it several times on the trail, but that is to be expected since it is setup for more XC/trail. I took all of the normal lines I would on the Chili, and was faster in the pedally sections, and slightly slower from Hell Hill down when things get rougher, but was still leading the group and slowly pulling away. It's not fair to believe the Endo would be on pace with the Chili, especially considering the Chili is Avy'd out. This ride showed me just how competent the Endo is. It's still no Chili, but capable. The Chili would plow through this trail, where the Endo skims it.

On to Sunday, which was a similar ride, just longer. I had replaced the stock tires with the Specy tires and suddenly I cleaned all 3 sections I had trouble with the day before. Traction was plenty, but it still requires a slightly different technique than the Chili. Coming down was great, and I was much more confident with the Butcher up front. It hooks up much better than the DHF on the sandy terrain. My downhill feelings were confirmed with yet another rip down National. I picked up some speed from Saturday as I gained some confidence from my first trip. LOVE THIS BIKE!

%$#$*!
    Great report Tiss'er. I'm still considering the Chili, but your insights make me inch toward the new endo as my next bike. Wondering if you've thought about Pushing the fork and shock to bring it closer to your Chili's suspension? Or maybe even picking up a Marz 44 with an Avy cart? Or a DBair instead of the rp23?

mtbr member
    Although I only have three rides on my Endo, these comments mirror my feelings. The Endo rips. It is a super fun and capable bike. For 90% of the trails I ride in Southern Cali this bike is near perfect.
    TG

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    Great report Tiss'er. I'm still considering the Chili, but your insights make me inch toward the new endo as my next bike. Wondering if you've thought about Pushing the fork and shock to bring it closer to your Chili's suspension? Or maybe even picking up a Marz 44 with an Avy cart? Or a DBair instead of the rp23?
    Hey Beef. In short no. A beefed up Endo is still not a Chili. The Chili suspension is dramatically more supple in it's initial travel, without giving up too much pedaling performance. Side by side, the Chili tubing is more substantial. The headtube on the Chili is 1.5 and the Endo is 44mm. Doesn't sound like much, but the front end on the Chili is built for more abuse.

I think if you start adding weight to the Endo, it starts losing it's magic IMO. What makes the Endo so much fun is that it is nearly 7lbs less than my Chili. If I had to choose, I would keep the Chili and lighten it up a bit. With a lighter build kit, the Chili would be more versatile than the Endo. I'm lucky that I have both, so I can build each to serve a purpose. For my XC and trail rides, the Endo will fit the bill, but for the more technical rides it the Chili.

My ride this weekend was to see just how capable the Endo was in a rougher environment than I had previously been riding it. The Chili would still be my go to bike for this ride.

I'm really quite happy with the 2013 Revelation. I have tuned it a bit from stock for my riding and it works rather well.

It can be a tough decision between bikes. I know some people have purchased the new Endo hoping it was like the old Endo. This is not the case, the Chili is the old Endo, the new Endo is more like the old Endo SL that never made it production. There is some platform at the beginning of the travel which stiffens up the suspension a bit. It works very well for it's intended purpose. The Chili is in a whole other league. As Dusty mentioned, your fork choice will have a major impact on the frame choice. Lyrik or 36 = Chili, Revelation or 34 = Endo.

Hope this helps a bit

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    Although I only have three rides on my Endo, these comments mirror my feelings. The Endo rips. It is a super fun and capable bike. For 90% of the trails I ride in Southern Cali this bike is near perfect.
    TG
    Pics? Glad you are digging the bike. I'd like to hear more of your thoughts when you have time.

%$#$*!
    Fantastic analysis. Thanks Tiss'er. I'm considering a 29/30lb build and it sounds like a Chili lite would suit me better. Thanks again!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast