Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Great looking rig at an amazing weight for the intended use. The lightest I was ever able to get my 2008 Flux was 25lbs with a SID fork and 355 rims. Very very nice!

How would I get my hands on one of those Joystick handlebars?

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Very nice!

I like the pic of RJ at the end!

Did you notice my new team issue hat?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleevem1 View Post
    Nice build man. All you are missin now in the photo is a Podium to complete the Knolly Trifecta.
    On a side note do you think the 26/38 combo would work for someone with fairly weak legs? I will be doing a fair bit of climbing.
    I think the 26/38 is a great combo. I don't have the strongest legs, and I had no troubles climbing yesterday. The climbs we have are not extended, but rather very steep. The 38T felt great.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post
    Well now that's a surprise! From the other thread, I would have guessed your Christmas Knolly was a Podium. Great build, and I am with you. Totally stoked on the way the bike rides. Looks like you were very deliberate in pushing the Chilcotin to cover the Delirium end of things while making sure your Endo was on the XC end of the spectrum.

I now have 6 rides on my Endo and I am climbing better than ever, but still bombing like a madman. My Marz 55 pushes my Endo into more of the Chili-Lite that we have discussed in the other thread, but it's still very snappy. I am having my CTD shock custom tuned by a pro - can't wait!

Love the color, and the crankset especially. Nice stable. Looking forward to more reports!

Yeah, I rode the Chili today as it was more aggressive ride. Although I think the Endo would be capable on this ride, the Chili is just so much better for super chunk. If I were on the Endo, I would have to pick lines much better, and I wouldn't be able to plow through things like I do on the Chili.

On yesterdays ride, I could have ridden the Chili, but it would have been a bit heavy and cumbersome. The Endo is a sprinting bike. I was floored how quickly the bike accelerates, and how planted it is. The Endo is a killer trail bike.

The great thing about having both bikes is that I can build them for their intended use. I wouldn't be as happy with the Chili if I were to build it much lighter (about 34lbs), nor would I want the Endo to be much heavier. The bikes are about 7lbs apart, which is huge.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    Great looking rig at an amazing weight for the intended use. The lightest I was ever able to get my 2008 Flux was 25lbs with a SID fork and 355 rims. Very very nice!

Thanks Luca. I'm pretty happy with the weight, I was hoping to be low 26's, but I'll take it. Feels nice and light on the trail. I can't wait for my weekday rides.

I typically am very conservative with my color choices, but I just had to have the day glow yellow. The camera doesn't quite pickup the true color and brightness of it.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    The bikes look great.

I know a few guys in my area that run a single 38t up front, not really my thing-and so I forever have chicken legs. They all run ESI chunky grips though and love them. "Light"

being picky:
    I'd recommend cutting the steerer tube and possibly a clear chainstay protector. I ordered some from crank skins.
    Your terrain looks pretty rocky, so I get why Maxxis DHR/F combo makes some sense since they're strong-but you could probably shave some weight there on future tires. Have you considered lower profile tread patterns that still have strong side walls? I know DHR/F work well on rocky gravel, but they're pretty knobbed up. Cut steerer tube might save you a few grams, too

RideDirt
    Awesome build man , looks like a nice setup

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What a great looking Endorphin! Thanks for the report tiSS'er, enjoyed the read.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Very nice, but there is less respect to be had for people who weigh their bikes. Beautiful build! I bet it rips on the up, and the down.

MC MasterShake
    Thanks for the write up. The bike looks great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post

Did you notice my new team issue hat?
    I did notice that, but you are supposed to match it to your frame colour!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Remember folks, monochromatic themes are all the rage for the spring fashion season. Matching your helmet to your bike makes you 14% faster...

Not sure POC makes a raw helmet
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

si vis pacem...
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    Dealers | Joystick Bicycle Components

If none of those shops are anywhere near you, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

mtbr member

Listen!

Good review Brandon. Great looking bike!
    Glad to hear it's treating you right and that it rips and that it's different from the chilcotin but is still a Knolly with all that entails.

Does it accelerate and snap forward as well (or better) than the 429 on smooth trail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
    Dealers | Joystick Bicycle Components

If none of those shops are anywhere near you, PM me and I'll see what I can do.
    Thank you, will let you know!

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post

Does it accelerate and snap forward as well (or better) than the 429 on smooth trail?
    Thanks Kent. I am really liking this bike. I rode the Chili Sunday, but I am already having withdrawals from the Endo. I can't wait for my ride today.

This bike definitely accelerated better than the 429. It is nearly 2lbs lighter, and the smaller wheels certainly add to the equation. On our ride Saturday, there were some nice smooth sections, and I can say this is the best pedaling Knolly I've been on. I was surprised at how easy the cranks were to spin, and at times I was 2 gears higher than I thought I was. I also noticed that I was rarely shifting. Rather than drop a gear or two for a climb, I would just stand give a couple good hard cranks and motor. This bike is really well suited to out of the saddle efforts, and you are rewarded nicely for the effort you put in. I am running a Minion DHR 2.35 on the rear, not the best rolling tire out there.

All of that said, the bike is still exceptionally active. You can feel just a hint of platform at the top of the stroke, I don't know if it is the shock or the linkage, but it's there. The travel is very well controlled, especially the mid and ending stroke as all Knollys are.

Sitting on the bike, you can immediately tell it is in a different league than the Chili. I wouldn't have wanted to do the ride dirtbag and I did Saturday on the Chili. I would have been toast half way through at the pace we were pushing. At the same time, I'm not sure I really would want to hit up Holbert on the Endo either. It is certainly capable, but the Chili just owns those type of trails. There is plenty of separation between the bikes, and there will rarely be a question as to which bike I will be on for a specific ride. The Chili/Endo stable fits me well.

sapienti sat est

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    [...] I did replace the Fox 34 CTD XYZ ABC 123 fork [...]
    You just made me spit all over my monitor...
    I think you will soon be replacing the rear shock as well...

Awesome bike! Now I wonder if I shouldn't have gone with Endo instead of Chili myself

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBert View Post
    Awesome bike! Now I wonder if I shouldn't have gone with Endo instead of Chili myself

I was in this club until this weekend... Originally built my Chili as a "one bike" for DH, bike park, free ride, XC in Houston, Austin chunk, basically everything. My build ended up a little heavy, but still pedals well. Then I found a great deal on a DHR, and started regretting building my Chili so portly, until I rode City Park in Austin this weekend. Great trail to showcase the pedal-ability if the Chili and capability in chunk. No way I could pedal my DHR up those hills. Overall, I guess three bikes isn't out of the question...

Knollician
    Got another ride in on the Endo. Today's ride is one which I have been doing for years, so I am really familiar with every corner, every rock.

Last night, I decided to play around with my suspension settings. I feel like the Revelation is a bit under damped, so I added a bit of air pressure to compensate. That was a huge mistake. I had maybe 10% sag (typically run 30-35%), the front of the bike felt very tall, and the fork felt harsh. I don't carry a pump, but I did let a bit of air out after the first climb. Even with minimal sag, the bike never wandered, but I felt like the bars were just too tall. Once home, I adjusted the air pressure back down. I may end up changing the damper fluid to 7.5W to get the necessary compression I am looking for. I will spend some more time on the bike before I do that.

I did add a click of rebound to rear, but did not mess with it otherwise. I noticed just how well the bike pedals on the smooth, sandy sections. There were a few areas where I think the 29er has an advantage on todays ride, but overall, I think my time was faster on the Endo. Keep in mind that the Mach429 is probably more race/xc oriented than xc/trail like the Endo. I think that says a lot.

I'm finding the XX brakes to modulate very well, but be limited in power. I have read that the Jagwire pads work very well, and I may go that direction if I can't the brakes working the way I would like. Otherwise, the bike is great. I have a few more rides scheduled this week where I will continue to tweak the suspension. Once the front is dialed, I will work on the rear a bit. I am not even close to bottoming, yet the bike feels good.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    this really makes me itch to order mine. I got accepted for the Knolly Grassroots Ambassador Program for 2013 and can't wait till I have funds to sell my Remedy frame and order the Endo in black.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    WTF is the Knolly Grassroots Ambassador Program!

a tight kick sound

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    yessir, that's the one. I can't wait.

Andrew
    Do I spy some Trial 100? Nice bikes man!
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by drizzoh View Post
    Do I spy some Trial 100? Nice bikes man!
    Absolutely, actually at the bench on 1A, good eye. The Endo is great for the T100 area.

Knollician
    Hot damn I love this bike! I have several more rides on it, mostly at the T100 area during the week, but today we hit SOMO on the west side. The west side of SOMO is more suited to a trail bike as it is not as burly as the rest of the mountain. We started by climbing Kiwanis (you know, the one with all the steps), to National West. National West is a techy, unrelenting climb. For there we hit 620. 620 is something like a mile long, but has 33 or so switchbacks. This trail was designed for hikers, and the switchbacks are very tight, and most of them are falling away with some level of loose rock in them. From there, we decided to climb Bees Knees which is a smooth but grumpy climb with some real steep sections that will make your legs hurt. Bees Knees ends with a really fun, mostly smooth and flowy descent.

My primary concern today was smashing the 38T chainring on a few steps on Kiwanis. Not too much to worry about on the rest of the ride. I knew this would cause me to change my technique on the Endo for this part of the climb. With the Chili, I just smash into it, let the bashguard take the hit, and tractor up it. With the Endo, I had to pop up these items, which I did with great success. The bike is nice and poppy, and the light weight helped as well. The first set of steps is usually a very good indicator of how well a bike will do at SOMO. It is a series of steps that requires a good line, and even better traction. You can't hit these steps and bounce, or you will be thrown off line. As you get near the top of the steps, you have to power over a few strangely placed rocks, and traction here is critical. My first run up this section with the Endo I nearly cleaned it. I'm still struggling with the weight of the bike, especially the front end. I am so used to the Chili with it's heavier front end. I tend to over-lift with the Endo and lose my balance. On my second run, I lost my balance over-lifting and lost my line. On the third try, I got it…almost. I was a pedal stroke away. The Endo just motored up this section. The rear end stuck like glue, I never spun a tire, and it felt very much like my Chili. Obviously it wasn’t quite as plush and smooth…I mean seriously, 160mm of Avy Woodie travel vs. 140mm of Fox CTD. However, the bike was very good…surprisingly good.

Next up is a 20-22” step up. Normally with the Chili, I just wheelie, let the bashguard hit, and tractor up the thing. I knew with the 38T unprotected ring, this was not going to be an option with the Endo. So, I wheelied up it, compressed the rear end, and popped right up it. EASY. For the rest of the moves, the Endo handled them just fine. When we came to a section of total chunder, loose tennis, softball, and football sized rocks, mixed in with sand. MMMM, fun. This is a rather long section, with some tricky turns, some bursty climbs, and it’s a leg burner. I motored right up this today, which is a 50/50 ordeal for me on the Chili, usually because I run out of legs.

Once we completed Kiwanis, it’s time to climb National West. National West starts out as mostly embedded granite, with lots of grunty, sketchy climbing. The Endo just rolled, smooth, lots of traction, and it passed rather quickly, which is a good thing. At the top, we took a left, rode the ridge where we came to the 620 descent. This is a great descent to properly test a set of brakes. I was bit nervous with the XXs, but I recently replaced the front pads with a set of Avid sintereds, and they held up very well. You’re pretty much are never off the brakes. The XXs never faded, modulated exceptionally, and other than I needed to adjust them before the descent, held up excellently. I did not have any arm pump at the bottom, which speaks volumes to me. The Endo did great on the descent. This is the first time I lowered the saddle. I cleaned all of the switchbacks, and carried great speed.

We then regroup and decided to alter our route and climb Bees Knees. Bees Knees is a smooth climb, but it never lets up. A lung buster. The Endo just chewed up it, I was very happy here. At the top of Bees Knees, you drop to the west and it is a smooth ripper with a few rollers. The Endo was in it’s element here. I was moving at a very good pace, especially for a trail that I have not ridden in over a year. I can’t explain just how well this bike works as a package. It’s light weight, along with it’s snappy pedaling make for e a bike that climbs exceptionally well, and makes the climb pass rather quickly. I climbed Bees Knees non-stop, I did dab twice in corners where I got lazy and the front tire washed. But we never stopped, and kept charging along. The bike digs in, pedals briskly, and when the trail turns down, well I don’t have to tell you about that 

A few notes about my setup:
    1. Fox CTD. I feel very happy with this shock. Setup was cake, set sag at 30%, set rebound, leave the shock in the DESCEND mode and ride. Nice and supple, great mid and ending stroke, and very well controlled for a stock shock.
    2. Revelation RCT3. I am finally figuring this thing out, and I am very happy with it. It is much stiffer than I imagined. The RCT3 damper has 3 main clicks, open, trail, and locked. In the open mode, the fork is too plush. Yep, too plush. When descending the steeps today, I ran the fork in the trail mode. In the trail mode you can adjust your LSC to your liking. With the LSC fully open, the fork feels pretty good, but a bit stiffer than I would like for all of my riding. With the LSC fully closed, the fork is near lockout, so there is a pretty good amount of adjustment here. I think I will try the trail mode with no LSC and see how that feels overall for my normal riding. It does lose some small bump compliance, but feels pretty good at speed. However, the damper takes 134ml of 5w oil. I think I may take about 60ml of oil out, and replace it with 7.5w, giving me an effective 6w. I think this may work well at providing the dampening I would like in the open mode without sacrificing as much of the small bump as I do now in the trail mode. That is what I love about this fork, the simplicity and adjustability. I will keep you posted on this.
    3. The Joystick saddle. I am really liking this saddle now. I had a bit of saddle sore on my first ride (which was 31 miles), but have not experienced any sort of discomfort since. Typically I run WTB Silverados, but this saddle is exceptionally comfortable, and doesn’t hook my shorts like the WTB can.
    4. The joystick bar. Good feeling bar, though a bit narrow. I am getting used to it and it is super stiff.
    5. RF Next Cranks. Love these. The shifting is amazing, I have yet to drop a chain, the drivetrain is super quiet, and the cranks are stiff as hell. When you get out of saddle and mash, you can feel it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast