Perpetual Hack

2013 Zoke 888 Oil Voumes and Foam Rings...

Just pulled my 2013 888 Evo-Ti apart for the first time.
    To my surprise, there were no foam rings installed.
    Is this new for 2013 or did they just miss mine?
    Not that I care, as they were to be pulled and the space packed with slick-honey.
    (The fork was new in box when I received it.)

Next is fluid levels, I checked the Zoke site and it lists 80 and 290? for 2013 and 325 2012-
    Everywhere else seems to mention no large changes between 10 and 13, and levels of 325.

So I dumped in 325 ml of 7.5 Redline blend. Packed the foam ring space with Slick-honey and buttoned her up. Have only cycled the fork to fill the damper and to do the handlebar push after putting it together.

Now I'm questioning my decision.

I have a park ride planned for Sunday, but no terrain to test the fork on local - unless dropping curbs counts.

Any thoughts on the fluid levels? - and foam rings?

Cheers!

michael

x-post to Suspenion Forum (and MonkeyVille)
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    May 2004
    1. Call Marz canada, of course. They'll answer the phone (Marz USA doesn't usually).
    2. If you cannot get an answer, be ready to drop the lowers and spill some oil out if you aren't getting close to full travel.

mtbr member
    I will have to search my emails on my home computer for modified oil volume number. Ronnie did a works package for me - removed the volume adjuster, added more oil, adjusted the HSC shim stack. I found the stock Marz 888 too plush and divey, even with the heavier spring. I crashed because of this a few times.

I recently switched to the Fox Float 40. I like the tuneability. I am able get full travel, adjusting the spacers makes a big difference in ramp-up. However, I find the rebound too slow. Because of this I am running more air pressure to compensate for this. I love the fast rebound of the Marz.

mtbr member
    Those oil levels would be great if you can find them. I took out my VA adjuster as well. Gideon told me how much oil to put in when I did it, but I've lost track of what he said.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Perpetual Hack
    Called Zoke.

2013 sees the removal of the foam rings.
    Oil volumes have NOT changed - the 2013 entry on the website is wrong.

Having a couple of issues.... (225 on bike with firm 6.5 spring)

Can't seem to get the last inch of travel
    Fork feels like it may be spiking at high speed - too much compression - even with the adjuster dialled all the way out.
    Small bump ie braking bumps etc is good with the rebound slowed down but then the fork tends to dive when in the slow technical stuff.
    Wondering if the fast small bump issue is also related to the too firm HS compression. Speeding the rebound up helps with the fork dive, but then kills the small bump.

Due to the nerve damage in my R hand, good small bump is a must if I'm going to hold on for a full run...

Thoughts?

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    I couldn't get full travel with mine either, at about 220 lbs and the firm spring. Removed the VA adjuster, added some oil, problem solved.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Called Zoke.

2013 sees the removal of the foam rings.
    Oil volumes have NOT changed - the 2013 entry on the website is wrong.

Having a couple of issues.... (225 on bike with firm 6.5 spring)

Can't seem to get the last inch of travel
    Fork feels like it may be spiking at high speed - too much compression - even with the adjuster dialled all the way out.
    Small bump ie braking bumps etc is good with the rebound slowed down but then the fork tends to dive when in the slow technical stuff.
    Wondering if the fast small bump issue is also related to the too firm HS compression. Speeding the rebound up helps with the fork dive, but then kills the small bump.

Due to the nerve damage in my R hand, good small bump is a must if I'm going to hold on for a full run...

Thoughts?

michael
    I'm effing precise when working on my fork, and ran into the full travel issue as well. This fork came on the demo bike (non-knolly) that I picked up for cheapsies and rebuilt myself.

#220 kitted up on the firm Ti spring and found that I was getting 7" travel this past weekend at trestle...removed spring cap, compressed as much as I could, still an inch short. Marz canada advised I'd probably not emptied the cartridge fully during my service, and to remove 20ml of oil. Made sense to adjust this way, BUT i was certain I had the exact oil levels dialed. Removed oil and got really close to full travel. Fork felt really linear until last .5" of travel, where it ramped up (but not super harsh).

Put it all back together and the Vol Adjust was loose(?!) and clicking under compression. Backed it all the way out, which is where I had it anyways.

I ended up running about 3 click compression damping and the small bump compliance wasn't as good as I had hoped (I did back it all the way out too but it was divey)...I'm considering going back to the stock spring and running more damping to get better small bump, as this setup didn't really work that well for braking bumps and smaller chunk. My measuring stick is the 66 RC3Ti EVO with stock spring - that worked great at Angelfire last year. I'd have done it on the trip, but didn't take the extra spring with me (heh, mighta shoulda hit the shop).

I'll def pull the Vol Adj out if it makes no difference...or perhaps go back to stock and utilize it to tune it?

You guys keep me posted on what works for you! It is greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Gideon told me the VA thing was essentially a bottom out, but even backed all the way out, it's still there and will be used. AKA, there is no way to by pass it. He said most of the pros have the mechanics take it out, but then again, he said they run the super duper "no way a normal human could compress it" ti spring.

For me at Whistler this year, it seemed to work great with no VA. I just can't for the life of me remember how much oil I added when I took it out.

Perpetual Hack
    Think this is my next move.
    Remove the volume adjuster, fettle the oil levels.

Thinking of also sending it in to Zoke over the winter for works treatment with shim-tune.
    ...but then again, I could put that money toward an Avy damper....

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

Perpetual Hack
    Jamie - ...and regarding crashing...yup did it again.

Went lift service riding for my 49th birthday on Sunday.
    Third run down the hill, just nicely warmed up.
    Came into this corner, has a nice hole in the middle, feathered the F brake, hit the hole, fork did its dive routine, and I folded into the ground.
    Got up, shook it off and finished riding....put in another 10 laps at the park. Only felt a little twinge - felt like a slightly pulled muscle...so didn't think anything more about it. Figured it would be a bit stiff an sore for a couple of days.

Fast forward to today - and DAMN do I hurt - I'm thinking I may have done in another rib.

Stupid thing is I have x-rays tomorrow as follow-up to the car-accident I survived on June 5th.
    I had/have a badly bruised sternum and some bruised ribs. Doc cleared me to ride 21/2 weeks ago.
    So have been out to the hill twice, have been running about 1/2-2/3 speed as I don't have the chest strength to reel it in at mach stupid when things start to go pear-shaped.

Happy Birthday to me...

Not blaming it on the fork, as I don't have the greatest chest strength at the moment, but I do think it did contribute. Have had the dive and associated forward weight shift on quite a few occasions - luckily (nah just me awsome skilz fer shure) I have been able to recover, but it has been just a little to close several times.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about injury-related crash....and on the b-day - bummer!

Yeah, I like the Marz 888 in the way it sucks up the chatter, but when it gets steep or fast I had some unexpected crashes. these caused me to be a bit timid, which was no fun. The works package was night and day difference. It rode higher in its travel. Dom joked with me because I sold the Fox 40 coil for the Marz 888, but I was slowly converting it back into a Fox 40 - haha. He was partially correct, I was reducing the plushness for mid-stroke support. The Marz 888 is butter due to the open bath system.

Even with the works package and its vast improvement, I lacked the ability to dial it in to my true liking. I wanted more end-user adjustability without opening the fork up. This is why I moved to the Fox 40 Float. The Marz 888 is better is the chop and the Fox 40 Float is not as plush, but the ability for less dive allows me to go faster and be more in control. I have chatted with Fox about decreasing the rebound and I plan have this modified when the fork needs service.

Still on the wrong computer for the oil levels, but I will post them soon.

Hopefully the injuries are not too bad....if they are heal quick!!!

mtbr member
    Marz 888 volume numbers, etc...

* Removed the VA feature, the knob is locked out now.
    * 170cc oil amount on spring side
    * 65mm oil level on damper side (this is not a volume but a distance!)
    * Adjusted shim stack listed (20x.1 20x.212x.1 19x.2 18x.2 17x.2 16x.2 12x.1) It is a two stage set for nice low speed comp and gets a bit stuff in the mid and high comp. compliments the V.2 piston nicely when you decide to just go ape ****.

Perpetual Hack
    Jamie

Cheers for that. Thanks for taking the time to dig it up.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks a lot guys. I'm going to open mine up and "fix" it before my next trip...which might or might not happen in september!

Stay healthy out there!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    How do you remove the VA adjustment?

Perpetual Hack
    There is a thread over in Monkeyville that has a lot of detail in it regarding volume adjustment / mods.
    Quite a bit to wade through, but worth the time.
    Sorry don't have a page number for you....

2010 Marzocchi 888 Evo tuning thread

I'm out with a broken rib, so have not yet opened it up again. Will do so when the pain recedes a bit and I can comfortably work at the bench.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coopie View Post
    How do you remove the VA adjustment?
    I can't remember exactly how I did it, but it's really easy. you just need a open ended crescent wrench and a small hammer to pop it off. (This sounds more scary that it is).

I barely tapped mine and it came right off. Mykel is right, if you dig through the ridemonkey thread you'll find directions, that's where I got mine from.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks guys. I just got back from winter park, wasn't happy with how the fork performed way too stiff. Only bottom once on trestle. I felt like I broke my wrist getting jacked hammered way too much. I'm going to fine tune the oil height, call Gideon and remove the va adjustment.

Perpetual Hack
    Well, I've done a little bench work and had one day out on it.

Removed the volume spacer and topped up the fluid levels.
    I went with Jamies' suggestion and dialed it in at 65mm. That would equate to somewhere in the aprox 120-130ml range as an estimate as I had to add then remove a bit after dumping the original 110ml in...

Results -
    The entire stroke is now smoother and more "fluid" feeling for lack of a better description.
    Whilst I did not hard bottom the fork as I only rode at 2/3 again, I did get within the last 10mm
    (sternum and ribs are still tender - still can't to a pushup without a good dose of wtf from the offended parts)
    The difference is not subtle, i ended up with plus one click of rebound, and even added 3 clicks of compression to help with support during slow tight steep areas, all without seeming to effect the small bump. Fork has lost a lot of the spikey feeling it had previously. I figure that I may have to do the shim mod to tame the HS when the speeds pick back up, as well as a fettle of the fluid levels if I need a bit more ramp up - but at the moment - very very happy.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Well, I've done a little bench work and had one day out on it.

Removed the volume spacer and topped up the fluid levels.
    I went with Jamies' suggestion and dialed it in at 65mm. That would equate to somewhere in the aprox 120-130ml range as an estimate as I had to add then remove a bit after dumping the original 110ml in...

Results -
    The entire stroke is now smoother and more "fluid" feeling for lack of a better description.
    Whilst I did not hard bottom the fork as I only rode at 2/3 again, I did get within the last 10mm
    (sternum and ribs are still tender - still can't to a pushup without a good dose of wtf from the offended parts)
    The difference is not subtle, i ended up with plus one click of rebound, and even added 3 clicks of compression to help with support during slow tight steep areas, all without seeming to effect the small bump. Fork has lost a lot of the spikey feeling it had previously. I figure that I may have to do the shim mod to tame the HS when the speeds pick back up, as well as a fettle of the fluid levels if I need a bit more ramp up - but at the moment - very very happy.

michael
    Awesome - I am glad it helped. I think you really need to figure the HSC shims to make it ideal. Good luck and have fun!