mtbr member
    Jan 2009

2013 podium sc or dc fork

just toyin with ideas at the mo,,,
    as most of you know i recently built up a 2013 podium as my whistler play bike. at the mo it's built up with a bos ndee 180 fork, marketed as freeride / lightdown hill,
    i have always liked the fork, it feels amazing, unfortunatly due to injury i only got to ride the podium about 5 timesin the park on my recent whistler trip, and it felt awesome with the 180 fork, but it has got me wondering would the bike feel better / ride better with a full on dual crown dh fork on it,,,
    if i did go down this route it would probably be a bos idylle to replace the ndee. (possibly a idylle rarae air)
    i only really use the bike as my whistler bike, it wont get much use back home, so what are peoples thoughts on this as a park play bike,
    180mm sc or 200mm dc.

mtbr member
    The bike is designed around a dc fork. Guys use a sc fork as a compromise if they are going to be riding up a bit sometimes too or if they are trying to do multiple styles with one frame. To me, if it was strictly being used as a gravity sled at whistler, no question I'd run a dc fork to get the most out of the bike. Dc fork is stiffer. The travel front and rear matches up better. Geometry is right where it was designed to be with a dual crown.

si vis pacem...
    VanGor has two podiums: one built up as a DH race bike with a Fox 40 and the other one as a "play" bike with a Marzo 66 180mm fork on it. The idea with running the single crown was to make the bike a bit more responsive with the shorter A2C and resulting slightly steeper head angle, and to allow for more variety doing tricks off jumps. (Bar spins, etc.) I know he likes them both but seems to ride the race bike a lot more - maybe he can provide some more details.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
    VanGor has two podiums: one built up as a DH race bike with a Fox 40 and the other one as a "play" bike with a Marzo 66 180mm fork on it. The idea with running the single crown was to make the bike a bit more responsive with the shorter A2C and resulting slightly steeper head angle, and to allow for more variety doing tricks off jumps. (Bar spins, etc.) I know he likes them both but seems to ride the race bike a lot more - maybe he can provide some more details.

Two podiums!! I wish I had the coin for one

mtbr member
    My wife rides a Podium with a Totem. The A2C of a Totem is within 3mm of the A2C of a boxxer, so the geometry remains the same! She uses it for her Fromme and Whistler bike. IF it were only being used at Whistler, and not being pedaled, a DC fork no question is the best option.

mtbr member
    Dual Crown...Stiffer...More forgiving.

These are my play trails and most rock a dual crown. DC are playful too, but no bar spins if that's what you're looking for.

Highland MTB Park - NE Style Grand Re-Opening! - Pinkbike
    Last edited by mayha; 07-13-2013 at 08:14 AM.

mtbr member
    If you can get a straight 1 1/8 steer tube, you can get away with a 180mm single crown that has the same AtC length as the Boxxer. If you have to run a tapered steer tube, you will actually be slacking the bike out to 63.5* by using an external cup headset bottom. So, ironically, trying to set up the Podium as a more playful mode might end up slacking it out too much. Then you would need an Angleset to correct it.

mtbr member
    ian ...when you coming up to innerleithen...ive just put boxxer r2c2s (with ccdb coil) on the podium...can ride mine see what you think...would really like to get a shot of yours with the sc idylls to compare. got a kirk on the endo and a fully avyd chili for you to demo too. be good to ride your ccdb air equipped machinery... its an open invite.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.