mtbr member

2013 Podium Air shock setup thread (e.g. DBAIR, VIVID)

Hey guys,

In a few days I hope to be the owner of a shiny new Podium with a DBAir. I liked the DBAir a lot on my Chilcotin. However, the flexibility of the shock is at the limit of my tinkering ability (which is ultimately a good thing). I set it up like Dusty recommended and it has been pretty dialed from the get go. More issues with setting up the Fox 160 float on the Chilcotin than the DBAIR.

So back to the 2013 Podium. This will be used primarily for the NW CUP race series (www.nwcup.com) and Whistler MTB park. I decided to go with more of a 'Race' setup than big hit setup, and am using carbon parts, some of which may be modified (more on this in another thread). I am moving the Fox 40 fork from my DT to the Podium, and using a regular wheelset (823/Hadley). I did well in CAT 3 last year, and moved up to CAT 2 after two races, where I was mid-pack. I would like to challenge for a podium spot this year. Regarding Whistler. I think the Air shock will be perfect, since by its nature it can be set up with much more 'pop' for the jump lines etc. I will likely use completely different settings, since 'go fast' and fun factor 'big airs' are often exclusive of each other.

What I am interested in is what people who have air shocks on their podiums have to say about settings, what tinkering they did to get it dialed, and perhaps the rational behind that tinkering. I recall the excellent post by Noel Buckley himself on how to dial in a suspension, and anticipate using something like that. However, I will likely only be able to test short runs at local places, before the day of the first race. So, I would like to get it as close as possible before race day.

I also how that this becomes a good place for others to catalog their experience with air shocks on their DH/park Knolly. (even if it is not a 2013 Podium)

Thanks in advance!
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, South Africa

Knomer
    Here are my current DBA/Podium settings. I weigh 215 RTR, and these settings are from 'full open'(counterclockwise)

PSI: 150
    HSC: 1.5
    LSC: 14
    HSR: 2.5 (this bike is crazy fast, this setting is key and will taking some dialing)
    LSR: 12

Enjoy the bike, as I know you will.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    I recall the excellent post by Noel Buckley himself on how to dial in a suspension, and anticipate using something like that.
    Here's the post: Chilcotin: The inevitable DB-air setup thread

What a PITA to find! The new MTBR search only has Noel's posts from this week and pre-2007.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm getting a DBAir on my new Podium too so this should be useful. By the way, did you have conformation that your frame has shipped?

mtbr member
    What a PITA to find! The new MTBR search only has Noel's posts from this week and pre-2007
    TSC, thank you so much for finding that. I gave up before I even started. Saved me a ton of time.

I'm getting a DBAir on my new Podium too so this should be useful. By the way, did you have conformation that your frame has shipped?
    Yes

Arrived directly to my office a few hours ago. So painful having to look at that box and still see patients. Kinda awkward having it sit there right in front of the Trauma Bay. Oh well, it wasn't leaving my sight until I got her home all safe and sound.

I opened it the first chance I could and Oh...My...God! She is a masterpiece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Podium Air shock setup thread (e.g. DBAIR, VIVID)-wp_000377.jpg  

Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, South Africa

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    TSC, thank you so much for finding that. I gave up before I even started. Saved me a ton of time.
    Glad I could help. I'm always impressed by KRob pulling up all these old posts. I'm just trying to learn from his example.

I have Noel's post saved on my computer to print when tuning my DBair (but I didn't saved the URL until now). I thought it was going to be easy to find--just put knollybikes.com as the poster and "215 nekkid" as the keyword. SOB; it didn't show up! After a bit of fighting with the search engine, finding it became a quest.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun