Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

170mm or 160mm fork for my chilcotin??

next week im about to build a chilcotin!!

i'm aggressive AM rider that likes to rip tracks but i will climb all my way up!!
    so 160 vs 170???

please help me here....

thanks

mtbr member
    well.... what forks are you considering? what forks have you had?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Obviously if you bought this bike, descending is definitely important. That being said, if uphill is equally important, go with a 160. If it is not quite as important, go 170.

With THAT being said, I think the chili will climb awesome with both sizes...

FWIW, I run it at 160 because I like to climb alot. I have not tried it at 170 but I will crank up my lyrik to 170 when bike park season opens.

mtbr member
    160 with external lower headset cup = 170 with inset lower headset cup

Both options keep the stock geo. I believe most Fox/RS/Marz forks all use similar AtC numbers. X-fusion Vengence is 10mm higher though, so that could slack it out an extra 0.5 degrees off stock.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Lyrik RC2 DH Solo Air,fox float fit, x fusion VENGEANCE HLR

those are the main three options

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    mayby the 2013 Lyrik RC2 DH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loolilon View Post
    those are the main three options
    I have the 170 LYRIK RC2DH with an EXTERNAL headset and it ROCKS!!! YUP 65.5 head angle...This bike is pure magic in every category. I've taken it off a 20 foot drop and climbed the steepest technical climbs around. No front end wandering even in the slack mode which is where I keep it 100% of the time. Enjoy the ride of your life!!!!
    Last edited by mayha; 12-20-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    160 with external lower headset cup = 170 with inset lower headset cup

Both options keep the stock geo. I believe most Fox/RS/Marz forks all use similar AtC numbers. X-fusion Vengence is 10mm higher though, so that could slack it out an extra 0.5 degrees off stock.
    ^^^^^ This. I run my Lyrik at 170 with an internal cup. If I were to go to an X-Fusion, I would run it at 160 with an internal cup to keep the stock geometry, and since they are internally adjustable, I would still have the option to run 170 as well.

As mayha stated, the front does not wander on this bike, it's crazy.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    marzocchi 55 evo ti no question. if you get the older 160 or the new 170 they are pure awesome. coil sprung open bath the way it should be

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    marzocchi 55 evo ti no question. if you get the older 160 or the new 170 they are pure awesome. coil sprung open bath the way it should be
    Unless you run an AVY cartridge Custom tuned open bath that blows the Marzocchi away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Unless you run an AVY cartridge Custom tuned open bath that blows the Marzocchi away.
    It would be 50% more expensive, is that what you meant?
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    It would be 50% more expensive, is that what you meant?
    Performance isn't free.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    still the earth's is not flat....
    what about climbing ability?

Perpetual Hack
    ...or buy a used fork and give Craig a call; custom fork for less than the price of new...

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    ...or buy a used fork and give Craig a call; custom fork for less than the price of new...

michael
    That's an idea. I might even part w/ my near-perfect, 160mm, tapered, rc2 coil lyrik for a reasonable amount, since my 55 is giving me $2,000 worth of performance already.

EMR
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm kinda in the same boat as the op, but I've been running my chil with a 160 lyrik rc. I want/need to up grade the fork due to the lack of any high speed adjustment. I'm thinking avy (I know they don't have an external adjustment, but at least it will be more refined than the stock), but not sure if I should go 170 or 160. So how does the 170 climb, and do you notice the added bb height. I feel pretty dialed in the steep mode with the 160. Is the avy 160 cart adjustable to 170 if I decide to change in the future?

I've also been seriously looking at the x fusion, but the a2c is bugging me out mentally.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by EMR View Post
    I'm kinda in the same boat as the op, but I've been running my chil with a 160 lyrik rc. I want/need to up grade the fork due to the lack of any high speed adjustment. I'm thinking avy (I know they don't have an external adjustment, but at least it will be more refined than the stock), but not sure if I should go 170 or 160. So how does the 170 climb, and do you notice the added bb height. I feel pretty dialed in the steep mode with the 160. Is the avy 160 cart adjustable to 170 if I decide to change in the future?

I've also been seriously looking at the x fusion, but the a2c is bugging me out mentally.
    The 170 with an internal cup maintains the stock geometry of a 160 with an external cup. I find the 170 to be a bit flexier though. I find the bike climbs just fine, and even at 170 is better than my first gen Endo at 160.

As for your fork, I highly recommend calling Craig at Avy (literally got off the phone with him 30 minutes ago) and he will tell you why you don't need, or should want, external high speed compression. The Avy cartridge is worlds better than any stock damper out there, simply because it is custom tuned to you, your terrain, and riding style. If you are interested in this, DO NOT order without talking to Craig first. The more info you can give him the better the product will be.

Craig also mentioned business is really ramping up, so you if you are serious about it, his wait times are probably lowest they will be for a while.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    That's an idea. I might even part w/ my near-perfect, 160mm, tapered, rc2 coil lyrik for a reasonable amount, since my 55 is giving me $2,000 worth of performance already.
    Not nearly close to the $7000 in performance I gained from my Avy'd Lyrik.

Craig hinted he may design a 55 cartridge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Craig hinted he may design a 55 cartridge.
    I guess I'd be insane to take $500 for the Lyrik, but that's a 90% discount in your world!

mtbr member
    the avy cart is not needed for the zoke. the stock damper is fine if you have the correct spring for your weight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loolilon View Post
    still the earth's is not flat....
    what about climbing ability?
    I forgot to mention (no I didn't) mine is at 170 with an external headset in slack mode...No wandering and insane traction. Climb anything you want. Seriously.

mtbr member
    My Chili is set up with a 160 Float with external cup. I tried it with a 180 Float and external cup. With the 180, climbing was not a problem. However it was more difficult to keep the front of the bike weighted in corners.

Like stated above, I would stick with 160 tapered/external cup or 170 straight/internal cup to keep the balance.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

*******Craig hinted he may design a 55 cartridge. :thumbsup*******:

oh, please, please, pleeease, let that be true!!!
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    the avy cart is not needed for the zoke. the stock damper is fine if you have the correct spring for your weight
    i've never heard that the 55 RC3 ti comes w/ anything but one spring, no options. is that in fact false?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    it does but there are 3 different springs. my 888 came with 2. i believe they are speced with a medium which works for most riders

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast