Delirious Tuck

13 Endorphin headtube/headset spacers...

I'm on an XL and to get bars close to my Chili, Endo, or xc bike height, like even marginally close (with in an inch), I'm running like 30mm of spacers. DH took priority this weekend and I'm rained out tonight, any thoughts?

I prefer to slam that stem but that puts it looooooow vs. saddle.

mtbr member
    you could slam the stem by buying riser bars.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Knollys have short head tubes. That means in an XL we have to use a combination of riser stem, spacers and riser bars to get our hands to about 3-4" below our hips, when the saddle is in climbing position. I have a 6* rise, 70mm Loaded stem, CrankBros Riser bar and 25mm of spacers. It works, but if you go with more than 30mm of spacer between stem and head tube, you might be outside the tolerances of the fork steer tube. My X-Fusion came with a warning not to exceed 30mm of spacers or face death or serious injury. Wow!

pedal up
    Dec 2009
    i'm all leg and when starting out and getting a feel for my XL Delirium had to do a little space creating spacer action myself.

i even called and pleaded with a dude at ChrisKing to make a couple of 30/15mm 1.5" spacers... to no avail. (though he said the tech guys laughed when they saw the pics.

i've since lowered it slightly and am still living
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 13 Endorphin headtube/headset spacers...-img_4721.jpg  

13 Endorphin headtube/headset spacers...-img_4734.jpg  

mtbr member
    That, my friend, is a bike that does not fit. It's also probably dangerous. Do you have any "after" photos?

How much drop can you tolerate from seat to hands (with saddle extended, of course)? I find 4" of drop is about all I can tolerate and still be in a good riding position.

pedal up
    Dec 2009
    at 6'3" - with about 5' of legs - i'm a bit of a circus freak. other than get a custom fabricated Knolly, you do what you gotta.

i started high and worked it down and i've dropped it a good say 1/3 of what you see there but i bet i'm in the 45mm / 2" range of spacers. (just dropped the bike of at my mechanic so can't give you the measures)(it is psuedo-comfortable though).

it works. has a good 40 rides on it with a handful + being park days... ie. the fork tube is not disintegrating and the cockpit remains tight and intact.

you do what ya gotta...

mtbr member
    I'm also fine tuning this on my XL Endo (also 6'3"ish), and I also have RF SixC bars which I'm starting to think might have to go. They are pretty low 'riser' bars and I'm going to search for something taller to hoist up the front end a bit. I'm running a fork that was on my old Spitfire (which fit great) so I'm limited on how much I can raise the front end, I was running Easton carbon risers on that bike and they were about 3/4" higher - still have those bars but they are too narrow for my current tastes...
    Any one been able to fine a wide (750 +) 1.5" rise carbon bar? It seems like all the wide ones available are pretty similiar, 20mm (3/4") rise, hopefully there is a company not following the herd...

pedal up
    Dec 2009
    i liked the RF SixC bars feel but along with the legs my wingspan is long. so i went for the lightest widest bar i could find which allowed me to get my upper body down low and ass back for a better climbing position... not to mention wider is better going down.

the Enve DH bar is 23mm in its rise (1mm short of an inch).

ENVE Mountain Bike Handlebars / MTB Carbon Handlebars

pedal up
    Dec 2009
    on my ti-hardtail urban assault machine i'm running a pair of FSA Gravity carbon bars.

just went to look up the stats and it appears the Gravity line is no longer. they are a great bar, lots of absorption (a little flex which feels good) and rise 40mm. though here's the rub... 710mm - which is perfect for a commute / road warrior stance. on a XC like bike - ie. the Endorphin - i might consider them.

still available here and there...
    New FSA Gravity Carbon Mountain Bicycle Handlebar Bar 31 8 x 40mm x 710mm | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biobike View Post
    i'm all leg and when starting out and getting a feel for my XL Delirium had to do a little space creating spacer action myself.

i even called and pleaded with a dude at ChrisKing to make a couple of 30/15mm 1.5" spacers... to no avail. (though he said the tech guys laughed when they saw the pics.

i've since lowered it slightly and am still living
    safer option / allowing to slam stem...

13 Endorphin headtube/headset spacers...-69870.jpg

60mm rise
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

Delirious Tuck
    I'm gonna trail test this thing... I think I'll start long and adjust down. I have the joystick bars so could easily go to the RF SixC or Enve DH wider bars to get a bit better fit.

Chili I have an XL and the Stem only has one 2.5mm spacer and is perfect for everything from long climbs to whistler. O* 60MM chromag stem.

Maybe also mess around with a 5* rise 100mm stem.