mtbr member
    Jun 2011

XCT 535 Shock/Fork Recommendations

Wanting to upgrade the Fork and Shock on my son's '09 XCT 535. Currently running the stock Tora 302 Solo Air, and X-Fusion 02 RC Air. He is 5' 10" and weighs between 120-125, so current pressures are really low and resulting in semi-poor performance IMO.

Looking for some recommendations for both the shock and fork without breaking the bank.

mtbr member
    I have an 09 XCT525, I have a 2010 Recon 351 SoloAir and it's great. That fork is discontinued, but the RS Sektor is basically the same. You can step the Soloair to 140 with included spacers or buy the Coil with adjustable travel. On the Shock, I like the X-fusion, but any Fox float model or RS Monarch in size 190mmX50MM will do. You will need mounting bushings as I believe the older X-Fusion were 12mm like Manitou.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My understanding is that in general, coil forks feel better but weigh more (for a given budget). If you are going to change forks, and a coil is available for your weight (they are not that adjustable) go with a uturn. You can tinker with it to find the travel that you like most (likely the longest) and have a fork that will feel nicer than its air counterpart.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the replies, it gives me some ideas to check out.

I would like to stay with an air shock for the fact that he is very light now (120 pounds), but as a 16 year-old, his weight will change and going air will allow us to adjust as that happens. Also thinking that we could shave a decent amount of weight from the front of the bike upgrading to a better fork as well.

I ride a 2010 Stumpy FSR with Fox and love it. I would not hesitate putting a set on his bike, but would have to find a killer deal to make that happen.

mtbr member
    I have an 08 and ride with a Fox RL Float 32mm 140mm fork. Thing is mint.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    I have an 08 and ride with a Fox RL Float 32mm 140mm fork. Thing is mint.
    Saw on your post that you picked up the Float fork for $349....care to share where you found the great price?

mtbr member
    I bought it at Bobs Bicycles online. It was a 2008 take-off; so brand new. I paid between $339-$349, don't remember exactly. Great price, right?
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Definitely a great price. Same fork that's on my Stumpjumper, but 2010 model. Going to be a Christmas present, so I have some time to watch for killer deals between now and then.

mtbr member

New shock!

Hi
    Just replaced my rear shock with a shiny Fox FLoat RP3! (bought used for $100)

Matches the Fork perfectly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XCT 535 Shock/Fork Recommendations-khs-xct535.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice...

I am still trying to find that killer price on a Float Fork

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    Not bad at all...thanks!!

Shopping for a new wheel set for my Stumpy as well. Been keeping a close eye on Chainlove the past week waiting for the right deal.