Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My little friends

XC204 upper pivot bushing source?

I'm doing my off season tear down, re-paint and rebuild on my XC204 , (re-painting with Metalcast anodized orange). My upper plastic pivot bushings were clunking a bit, so it is time to replace them. Anyone find a number or a source? Also, would a Specialized bushing potentially fit, since the frames were at least designed in part by them?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Specialized had no part in designing the frame. All they got credit for was the rear link configuration, which they also had no part in designing. Have you tried calling KHS?

My little friends
    Well that clears up that Specialized thing....I've not called KHS yet, going to see if my LBS has a source first. There can't be that many sizes out there!

My little friends
    Just a follow-up.... I contacted KHS and they gave me a part number for an upper pivot kit, ( 35-079-115 upper pivot kit ), and pointed me at a couple of local shops who could order it. I contacted one and they said they could order it and have it delivered for..........$70! All I really need are the 4 small plastic bushings, which by the way, will wear out again long before the aluminum pieces they interface with! It's a shame that bike manufacturers do not support the wear items on their products. The reason I own a KHS bike in the first place is because the plastic bushings on my old GT wore out and were not available. I wrapped a couple of layers of teflon tape around the aluminum shaft that goes inside the plastic pieces; seems to have taken about 75% of the looseness out for now. Hell, I can buy a case of teflon tape for $70!

rant mode off...

mtbr member
    mcmaster.com

I'm doing the rear bearings this week on my 604 and took a look at the upper bushing the other day. I'll have to see if mcmaster has something that will work.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

My little friends
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperJETT View Post
    mcmaster.com

I'm doing the rear bearings this week on my 604 and took a look at the upper bushing the other day. I'll have to see if mcmaster has something that will work.
    Mcmaster was one of the first places I looked; they would be "shoulder washers".

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm not seeing them either. My guess we'd have to do a sleeve bushing and trim flush then shim washers on the ends.

I'm working on it right now replacing all the bearings in the rear so interested in finding something new, though my bushings don't have that much play really.
    Last edited by SuperJETT; 01-27-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

mtbr member
    mcmaster has a sleeve bushing 12mm i.d. 14mm o.d. in 15mm and 20mm lengths and are the correct type of load duty for suspension.

12 mm 14 mm 20 mm 6679K17 $3.38

Steel-Backed PTFE-Coated Bronze—These bearings have a steel shell and a bronze lining, which is coated with a thin layer of low-friction PTFE. They resist corrosion and water absorption and are electrically conductive. They also have the highest load capacity of our metal-backed bearings and are well suited for rotary and oscillating motion.

Put that on the inside with some shim washers and it would be a much better setup IMO.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

My little friends
    Nice find! I'll have to re-measure my setup to make sure that will work for the XC204 as well, and to figure out what shim washers I'll need.

mtbr member
    I figure for less than $10, it's worth a shot. I may buy a couple this week to try out.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

My little friends
    I went ahead, ordered and installed thes last night, and they work great! I got the 20mm length and cut it in half with a Dremal cutoff wheel. The sleeve bushing needed to be pressed into the hole in the rocker arm; if you remove the powdercoat from the inside of the hole they may slip in, but they went in fine with a vise. I got a pack of the 14mm ID x 18mm OD SS shim washers; .5mm thk. , and uses a pair on each side of the new bushing. They slid right over the internal shaft of the pivot assembly; a perfect fit. The pivots rotate freely with no resistance, and after putting it all back together and lifting my frame, I now get no "clunk" at all. This looks to be a very high precision solution when the time comes to replace those $70 pieces of plastic!

Nice find SuperJETT !

mtbr member
    Awesome.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I saw this thread and thought it might help... Not sure... Rear Suspension Bearing Replacement

mtbr member
    We're talking about the upper link's bushings, no bearings there. The bearings are pretty easy to do actually even without a vise or press, just make sure you drive them straight and on the outer race.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

mtbr member
    Posted here in error sorry
    Live to Ride Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm in the same predicament with my khs xc204, also got the $70 price quote for the four plastic bushings...

Would you mind posting a picture of the repair and a parts list? I've got the McMaster product number but am not sure about the washers.

thanks

Jack

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Did the mod 2 days ago and it worked perfect. Fit is right on and things seem to feel alto smoother when riding. We should all thank EABiker for the time spent to research the parts. Just a side note. At checkout i decided to check the box for overnight shipping to see what the cost would be. Well it did not show me the cost, but instead just proccesed my order. Figuring the cost was not going to be that much i rolled with it. Well the cost came in after my order had already shipped and to my suprise, $53.28 for shipping. So be careful when ordering and dont get burned like me. This was my first order with McMasters so now i know for next time.

mtbr member
    I guess I'm chopped liver then...

KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sorry about that. Should have given you credit too. Wont happen agian.

My little friends
    Yeah, SuperJETT gets the cred on this one; he found the solution to the problem.

McMaster charges that much to overnight!! I order from them for work, and it always comes next day for me with regular UPS shipping here in MD.

mtbr member
    I was just joking really. I was 95% sure that bushing would be the one to use after measuring about 4 times, but you took a leap of faith to try it out.

I haven't ordered mine yet, since it hasn't been that cold of a winter here the trails haven't been ride-able really so the bike is just sitting mostly.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

My little friends
    Quote Originally Posted by jackfoley View Post
    I'm in the same predicament with my khs xc204, also got the $70 price quote for the four plastic bushings...

Would you mind posting a picture of the repair and a parts list? I've got the McMaster product number but am not sure about the washers.

thanks

Jack
    The sleeve bushing is 6679K17; you need one, and cut it in half; 1/2 for each side. (I would order two though, just in case).
    The shim washers are 90214A428 (bag of 20). These washers take the place of the wider flange of the plastic bushing.

After you cut the sleeve bushing in half and clean the cut edge, align it into the hole in the rocker arm, apply some light oil, and press it in with a vise. The washers will go between the frame and the pivot arm, one or two on each side, depending on the thickness of the paint. The washers will slide over the thick, unthreaded part of the bolt that goes inside the new bushing. Put a drop of blue Loctite on the threads of the through bolt, and do not over tighten it.

mtbr member
    Hi all,
    I'm not seeing a 14mm ID with an 18mm OD .5mm shim on McMaster. Would you mind posting the part number of the one you got? I see the bushing.
    Thanks!

My little friends
    See post #17 for the part numbers & brief write-up.

mtbr member
    Nevermind, I see it was posted in #22. it is 12mm X18mm, not 14mm by 18mm.

Thanks all!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast