mtbr member
    Sep 2007

XC204 Trail Bike

A few years ago I built up a Sette Reken hardtail 1x9 as a backup bike. Ended up liking it so much that I sold my 29er and made it my go-to trail bike. For the last few months I'd been eying FS frames and was close to pulling the trigger on a Sette Ace based on my satisfaction with the Reken, good reviews, and a low price point (pun intended). But then I found the 08 XC204 frame on wheelworld.com and decided to give it a try instead.

I swapped over everything that would fit and picked up some used parts to replace what wouldn't. Ended up with the bike you see below.

Parts...
    Fork: Manitou R7 Elite
    Brakes: Avid BB7 mechanical disc
    Stem: Race Face Evolve XC
    Bars: Easton CF (flat)
    Cranks: Shimano LX with custom CNC, anodized bash-guard
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
    Shifter: Shimano XTR
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V Race
    Seatpost: Bontrager Sport (damn, this thing is heavy)
    Tires: Continental Vapor (front), Kenda SB8 (rear)

I have a few rides on it now with maybe ~40 miles in the saddle. Happy with it so far. It doesn't climb as well as the hardtail but isn't as bad as I was expecting. Steering is a little slower too but I've adjusted already. I also feel like my weight might be too far forward. I'm going to slide the seat back and try a shorter stem so that I can pedal the front up a little easier. I love the way it descends. Still figuring out the shock settings and getting it dialed in.

ride hard take risks
    Very nice build

Sounds like your on the right track with the seat and stem. If your using it as a do all bike go with a 80mm stem and 1/2" rise bar.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    I also went from a Reken to a KHS, good choice.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Gave it a shot today with shorter stem with some rise to it. Felt like a nice improvement.

ride hard take risks
    Pimpin setup is always the hardest part cause it never ends LoL
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Pimpin setup is always the hardest part cause it never ends LoL
    So true!

mtbr member
    Your shock looks backwards. Everyone I have seen the brace bar is opposite of how yours is pictured???? Maybe not.....just looks that way. What brand of shock is it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnNotice
    Your shock looks backwards. Everyone I have seen the brace bar is opposite of how yours is pictured???? Maybe not.....just looks that way. What brand of shock is it?
    I get that comment a lot. It's a Manitou thing. They did that on a lot of their forks. I'd guess it was just a way for them to differentiate their products, but I couldn't say for sure why they did it. From the positioning of the fork dropout and the brake mount, you can see that it is installed properly.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyb
    I get that comment a lot. It's a Manitou thing. They did that on a lot of their forks. I'd guess it was just a way for them to differentiate their products, but I couldn't say for sure why they did it. From the positioning of the fork dropout and the brake mount, you can see that it is installed properly.
    The reverse arch adds strength and resist twisting being in the location of stress is the theory.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    freddyb,
    Looks nice. I was thinking of doing a similar build. What does it weigh?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm not sure what it weighs. I don't have a scale. I replaced the Bontrager Sport seat post which was really heavy. The R7 Elite is a light fork so I'm happy there. Front wheel setup is probably a full pound heavier than the one on my previous hardtail setup, probably due to the beefy tire and sturdier rim. Rear wheel is fine. I might try some new rubber this weekend. LX crankset is really light..lighter than the old XT crankset on the hardtail for sure.

Overall I can definitely feel the weight difference between this and the hardtail, but it hasn't had any noticeable impact on my rides.

If I'm around a scale I'll get a number and post it up.

Suburban Redneck
    Very nice!
    I'm not big-boned, I'm a Clyde.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

My xc204 build

I think this is my first post ever on MTBR, even though I've been reading the forums for a couple years now. Here's my 5" travel XC204.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XC204 Trail Bike-khs-xc204-005-copy.jpg  

Bike Geek

rocker arms

Did you change the rocker arms on the frame to make it a 5 inch travel frame? If so, where did you get them?
    RIP AL DAVIS

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes, the rocker arms are from a different bike, but fit just the same for the most part. The three mounting holes gives 3, 4, and 5" of travel from front to back.