Big Damn Hero

XC204 owners - Question

So I recently weighed my bike in bone stock form and it came in at a staggering 35lbs! I really like the bike and am not looking to get a lighter one, but I would like to invest some money on my current XC204 and try to lighten it up some.

For all your 204 owners, what have you done to your rides to help lighten the load. My first thoughts are lightweight wheels and tires and a new front shock. I imagine with those upgrades I could drop 2lbs or so. But I see other 204 owners out there with sub 30lb bikes and was wondering what all you've done.

mtbr member
    First place to reduce weight on any bike is the wheels and tires they will greatly reduce rotational weight right off the bat.

cfx
    mtbr member
    I replied in the other thread, but basically said the same thing as applehead110 ..

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...13250#poststop

The wheelset I listed there isn't bad .. got a set on my 604 at the moment (was gonna put em on wifes bike but wanted to try em myself) .. but not the lightest money can buy .. just a killer deal for the price. I'd not use them if you are over 200 pounds or do alot of all mountain/light freeride .. great for xc tho.

Forks are another place to lighten up the bike. We had a discussion regarding some light, budget air sprung forks in the "where are the best deals" forum. X-Fusion has the velours which are getting some great reviews and are under 4 pounds. You can check the thread here : Need help finding 100mm Air Fork . Can also pick up some nice forks used in the classifieds .. reba's, fox's, etc.

It all comes down to budget and what you want to spend to lighten things up. Small budget = best bang/weight for the buck .. big budget = lots of carbon/titanium goodness and a set of wheels that cost more than the bike!

C..
    Last edited by cfx; 03-15-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is finite .. the population keeps growing ..