mtbr member
    Dec 2009

XC204 Cable Routing . . .

to avoid frame scratching? Anyone whose built up their own have experience routing cable to avoid frame scratching? I noticed after first building up the bike that the rear derailur housing, where it goes from the front triangle to the rear triangle (just above the rear shock), is generating some scratches (more like wearing a hole in the frame). I've added some stick on scratch resistance, but I don't think it's gonna last long. Any suggestions? Housing lengths? Anyone with a factory build seeing the same issue? If you are not, what housing length comes standard?

Cheers,

J.A.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    J.A.
    I dont think that there is much you can do other then what you are doing. You can try and shorten your housing. Lizard skins and ProGold make Frame Protectors and Bike Shields. Someone once told me a Motor Cycle shop would have a much thicker more durable clear sticker.
    Do you have pictures of whats going on with your frame?
    attached is a picture of a small XC204 from the companies website.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by El_Duderino; 07-01-2010 at 06:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Here's mine. Only a little paint is rubbed off after 6 months now.

KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

What could go wrong ...
    I use these from Jagwire
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    I bought a small sheet of 3m clear car bra off of eBay for $15. I had enough to do two bikes (downtubes, back of seat tube, chainstays, plus cable rubs spots). Still have enough left over for missed spots as well.

mtbr member
    I love it when someone asks a question and never replies to their thread again.

Did it work, is it what you thought?
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the responses fellas. I was seeing about the same that superJETT is seeing, maybe more-so - I probably noticed it later than he did. I'll be trying some thicker, offroad patches stick on patches, similar to the 3M car bra material that Vmax911 suggested. I'll let you know how it goes.

Incidentally, I've been using a huge zip-tie in the mean-time cinched about teh top tube under the mini-seat tube triangle; it works to prevent the scratches, but wears into the cable housing a little bit and it looks like crap. On the other hand, it's cheap (a few cents).

I'm be curious to know how Zoke2's Jagwire cable-housing housings are working long-term. Seems like they'd generate the same problem.

It'd be cool if KHS modified their housing routing so that one shown in superJETT's picture is angled away from the frame as you follow it back - seems like that would be a big step in preventin the problem. On the other hand, it might just make the cable wear through the housing faster. I dunno.

mtbr member
    I like the idea of it being angled some, but honestly the XC-?04 frames are probably on the way out in favor of the XCT series now IMO.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot