Crazy Alaskan MTBer

Would a KHS Alite 500 Work For AM?

It is labeled XC, so I know i'd probably be pushing it to it's limits, but I want to do some beginner AM this summer, but not much. Next year i'm planning on getting a dedicated AM bike, but for now i'd like to know if you guys think it would stand up OK to an occasional AM ride. I'm a real beginner, and would not be bombing down the mountain with any serious speed, or taking any uneccesary jumps. I haven't bought it yet, but plan to in a couple weeks when I have the money, so it's going to be a 2013 model. So, please, thoughts and opinions.

mtbr member
    Good luck with that. Sounds like you will be shortening the life of your new steed.

Crazy Alaskan MTBer
    I takevthat as a big, NO. Understood.

Crazy Alaskan MTBer
    my budget recently went up, would a KHS ALITE 1000 work for all mountain??

mtbr member
    Try posting this question on the "All Mountain" forum for a more informed answer. I question if the forks on either of these models is up to the task.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You'll be sweet IMO. It won't be ideal, but a season of not too extreme Am riding should be sweet. I started on a fully rigid Merida bike way back in the mid '90's, some of the trails I still ride and would be considered AM. That bike was nowhere near as competant as a modern AM rig is, but everything was ridable, and I enjoyed myself. I'd still rather ride that old bike then not ride at all.
    Otherwise look at buying something aimed more at AM riding.

mtbr member
    I ride my KHS Alite 4000 hardtail everywhere. I have never seen a "AM" trail here in Arizona. I just ride the trails I have the skill to ride and ride at a pace that is comfortable for me.

I don't believe AM is a trail, but a style of riding. A style where the emphasis is on descending either at speed or nasty terrain and climbs are there to just get to the descents.

AM bikes are bikes designed to take the big hits and terrain that rider will seek out and the expense of climbing speed. However AM bikes can still climb unlike DH bikes.

So if you want to ride AM style you can, but may have to limit downhill speed. If you are just starting out then you probably will not be taking the biggest jumps anyway.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.