mtbr member
    Feb 2009

What rear shock are you using for your XC 204?

Considering on upgrading the bar shock that came on my XC 204. It does the job pretty well, but I figured I'd like something with a lockout if possible. Curious to see what other riders (in particular 204 riders) have upgraded to on their rigs and how you like it. I'd like to stick with an air shock. Any input? The biggest thing I'm concerned about is compatibility, because I'm sure there are *some* differences (mounting wise) from one shock to another to another, etc. I just hate to get one and get stuck.

cfx
    mtbr member
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is finite .. the population keeps growing ..

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just upgraded my xc104 with a Fox RPL. It's the same shock that the specialized FSR's run. It has open/propedal/lockout settings and i got a smoking deal on it through jenson. I found it on another site and had it price "smashed" for $191.00 +s$h. great deal for a $400 shock and it DEFINETLY improved the bike.

mtbr member
    I replied in the post cfx referred to, but I use a Monarch 4.2. It doesn't have a mechanical lockout, but has a fluid compression type of lockout. By that I mean it acts like all the Roch Shox motion control-type lockout they use on there forks. So there is a little bit of movement, even when the shock is "locked." I've paired the shock with a reba upfront with the blackbox motion control. I love the setup and both front and rear suspension act very similiar to one another.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cfx
    No joke - I hit the submit button, scrolled down, and facepalmed myself cause I saw that thread. Ah well...

cfx
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    No joke - I hit the submit button, scrolled down, and facepalmed myself cause I saw that thread. Ah well...

No worries man .. I've done it myself. I wasn't trying to be an ass or anything, just trying to help by pointing out the thread that existed

C..
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is finite .. the population keeps growing ..