mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Upgrading: 2007 KHS XC 104 (Need Help w/Sizings)

Let me start off by saying I understand how people feel about updating such an older beginner bike and how parts can add up making it not worth doing. Thanks to my wonderful and Loving Wife, I was gifted a 2012 SB95 Yeti with full XT gear and is currently being fitted with Stan's Flow EX wheels. So since I already have a Steller bike, I figured I would upgrade my KHS an keep it as a back up.

First up is updating the Stem, Handlbars, and Seatpost.

Anyone know the Seatpost diameter? The length is 330mm but not sure on OD.

Thanks.
    Last edited by 50calray; 01-01-2013 at 08:30 PM.

mtbr member
    My 2009 XC204 has a 31.6 seatpost and the frame looks identical. Unfortunately the KHS website does not say. Can you pull your old one, they are usually stamped on the post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    My 2009 XC204 has a 31.6 seatpost and the frame looks identical. Unfortunately the KHS website does not say. Can you pull your old one, they are usually stamped on the post.
    Ya, I want to say it's a 31.6 but I want to double check before ordering anything.

Anyhow, I pulled the post off to measure the length but wasn't aware they stamped the info on the post I'll check it out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well, I looked but this post is so scratched up, I can't see any stamp markings.

mtbr member
    That's a bummer, it would be at the bottom below the minimum insertion lines. Can you measure the diameter of the post? If you don't have a caliper a ruler will do. My guess is 31.6 or 27.2, I would not bet it would be 30.9, the other common size.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    That's a bummer, it would be at the bottom below the minimum insertion lines. Can you measure the diameter of the post? If you don't have a caliper a ruler will do. My guess is 31.6 or 27.2, I would not bet it would be 30.9, the other common size.
    Ya, it's real bad closer to the bottom of the post.

Well, I have a caliper...but it's in storage...I miss my shop (: Anyhow, it came out to 1-1/4"...31.6 mm.

(Reference: 2007 KHS XC 104 Seat Post = 31.6 x 350)

Now to add a Seat post to my order.

Next up is going to be wheels. I upgraded the wheel on my Yeti to Stan's Flow EX. So I'm going to sell the DT Swiss XR400's and the Weimann's off the KHS and use that money to buy some Stan's for the KHS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Traded for some new Stan's Flow Rims today. I'm going to see about my LBS lacing them to my DT 350's hubs off my Yeti. This may however start a new chain of modes, updating the gearing. The KHS uses an 8spd cassette while the 350 is only copatable with 9/10/11 cassettes. So I will need a new cassette and possible derailer and shifter...Thank God, my current derailer is junk

I'll post some part pictures as time permits. I have so miss parts hitting all this week but no sure when I'll have time, moving truck arrives in the next day or two.

mtbr member
    Sounds good! BTW, 8-10 speed use the same size freehub. 7 Speed will also fit, but requires a spacer behind the cassette. 11 speed SRAM XXI is not compatible with an 8-10 speed hub.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sounds good! BTW, 8-10 speed use the same size freehub. 7 Speed will also fit, but requires a spacer behind the cassette. 11 speed SRAM XXI is not compatible with an 8-10 speed hub.
    So I shouldn't have an issue installing an 8spd cassette on my DT350 Hubs? That would be cool...I still plan on swapping rear derailers though...and then taking a hammer to the old unit lol.

Just waiting on an adaptor to mount my front Stan's Flow EX on my Yeti. This will free up the DT hubs. My other parts should start hitting today.

mtbr member
    Nope, you'll be fine. My son has the same wheels as me, WTB DD Freeride rims on Shimano M475 hubs and he runs 8 speed and I run 9 speed. Also have M525's hat I run 10 speed on. They are not terribly high-end, but work okay for me. Look forward to a few pics!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nope, you'll be fine. My son has the same wheels as me, WTB DD Freeride rims on Shimano M475 hubs and he runs 8 speed and I run 9 speed. Also have M525's hat I run 10 speed on. They are not terribly high-end, but work okay for me. Look forward to a few pics!
    Thx

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well I finally got sometime to unbox some stuff.

Race Face 70mm stem: I went with a 70mm to help pull the bars forward. It' an XL frame which is slightly large for me...bought the bike used.

Factory 100mm unit next to Race Face 70mm unit. This brought the handlebars in much closer for a better body and arm alignment.

I also originally ordered ritchey alum handle bar but got a steal of a deal on a set of new Race Face Carbon bars. I'll add a picture soon.
    Last edited by 50calray; 01-06-2013 at 03:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well I swapped out the handle bars and stem but got distracted and forgot to take pictures. I'll see about taking a finished picture tomorrow. In the mean time, here is what it looked like swapping bars. On a size note, I think the headset is toast. It just has way too much play...with either stem an it want tighten up.

mtbr member
    Hey 50calray,
    The new stem looks shorter from top to bottom, could it be you need a spacer on the 1 1/8 steer tube? That could cause the play your talking about in the headset. I like that RF stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hey 50calray,
    The new stem looks shorter from top to bottom, could it be you need a spacer on the 1 1/8 steer tube? That could cause the play your talking about in the headset. I like that RF stem.
    Good eye, it does look shorter. Now I was having play issues with the factory stem but not as
    bad. I'll see if I can play around with it using another spacer an see if it helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I got the Seatpost today, it's an FSA Carbon...same dimensions are the factory unit.