mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Torque spec of bearing bolts?

I have a XC 204, and the rear triangle is a little loose at the bottom bracket area where it attaches. I can spin the bolt with a hex key turning it, but the entire thing is an axle that sits on the two bearing cartridges. I need to tighten it up a bit, but I want to make sure I'm torquing to the right spec. Does anybody know what it would be? The local KHS dealer said "you can torque them pretty darn tight" but gave me no exact number. Likewise, KHS's email support said to contact a KHS dealer.

SO... here I am. Any ideas?

ride hard take risks
    If its a through bolt it should have a shoulder the tightening bolt/nut stops on to prevent bearing binding by drawing the two sides inwards. Something like this just use blue loctite and snug just past bottom out. If you gorilla the bolt/nut it will stretch and strip or snap.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    I have a XC 204, and the rear triangle is a little loose at the bottom bracket area where it attaches. I can spin the bolt with a hex key turning it, but the entire thing is an axle that sits on the two bearing cartridges. I need to tighten it up a bit, but I want to make sure I'm torquing to the right spec. Does anybody know what it would be? The local KHS dealer said "you can torque them pretty darn tight" but gave me no exact number. Likewise, KHS's email support said to contact a KHS dealer.

SO... here I am. Any ideas?
    Main piv on another 4-bar Horst design of similar age and built for similar use is 250 inch pounds on a 10mm alloy bolt. About 29Nm. Hope this helps someone.

I also read that if you take an 8mm hex wrench (assuming your main piv takes 8mm hex), like you'd use for putting cranks on, then just snugging it tight with that without going crazy will be fine. Obviously, if you're a 450lb powerlifter, then go easy w the wrench. If you're a 110lb 12yo kid, then give it a little more effort. Make sure wrench is a good fit and is stuck all the way into the bolt head.
    8mm hex is like $4 from pricepoint. So if there isn't one in your box, grab one next time you order some stuff.
    I use an 8mm hex w a torque wrench (fits in socket) from eBay for <$10 delivered from a western supplier. No need to leave desk/burn gas.