Suburban Redneck

Some minor upgrades to the 304

Ya know, I've kind of been neglecting my 304 due to work and having recently purchased a road bike. So this week I hung a Manitou Radium R on the frame in place of the RockShox Deluxe that it came with. I've been wanting to upgrade, but didn't have the coin at the moment for a Fox RP23. First thing I noticed was that the Radium is a fraction of the weight of the RS. That thing coulda slowed a speeding locomotive. Another big reason for the switch was my fat arse. My 230 pounds was grossly over powering the spring on the Deluxe. The bobbing with every turn of the cranks was maddening. And wasting a *****-ton of energy and pedaling efficiency. So tonight I decided to set the pressure to 20% sag and take her for a spin around the block. She feels like a freakin rocket compared to when outfitted with the coilover. No bob, instant acceleration, no "float" when weighting for turns. Wow. Impressed.

I also recently added a WTB Speed V Comp saddle and Crank Brothers Smarty pedals. Saddle gets a big thumbs up over the SDG Comp it replaced. The biggest reason for the pedal swap was the fact that they were 20 bucks and I've been wanting to see what this whole eggbeater gadget was all about. They're OK, but I'd go back to my Ritchey Comps if I could find new cleats. Or just get the regular EB's.

Oh, I also locked the fork down at 100mm to better balance the suspension and get more of a cross-country feel. Yes, I count that as an upgrade.
    Last edited by boxman12; 08-23-2010 at 04:24 PM.
    I'm not big-boned, I'm a Clyde.

Suburban Redneck
    Pics.

Also swapped out the Avid AD-1 levers for some Forte Team units. Only real difference is that they are a bit lighter (as if it matters 0n a 30 pound bike) and I like the look better with the black body and grey levers. Took her out Sunday and I gotta say that the shock being diialed-in along with the saddle were a HUGE improvement over the underpowered coil shock and SDG saddle. Bike just rocks now, no "bobbing and weaving" Just pedal and go. If I keep losing weight it may actually be fast at some point.

mtbr member
    Very Cool, nice to see a bike getting some love. I'm not familiar with the 304, what year is it? Do you have a pic of the whole bike?

Suburban Redneck
    It's a 2004. Bought the frame from Jenson to replace my too-small GT iDrive frame. I like the single-pivot feel and simplicity, and the new shock is a HUGE improvement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What's bolted on your handlebars?

Suburban Redneck
    It's a Club Roost moto-x style cross brace. It's been there so long I just can't bring myself to remove it. lol. At some point I'll be udgrading the cockpit to lighter stuff and will more than likely leave it off.