one less car

sad, and yet not so sad

my '09 XC604 frame broke recently at the seat tube just above the BB . KHS, in all their equanimity, is replacing it with a '09 XCT555, complete with rokshox3.1 . unfortunately it's gonna cost me 200 $ as it's just outside the warranty, but I think I can live with it. also, the LBS is gonna waive the rebuild fee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sad, and yet not so sad-fullsizerender.jpg  

sad, and yet not so sad-xc604-crack.jpg  

Last edited by B@dKarma; 11-20-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

mtbr member
    Ouch, that's a good break. I have the same frame/same year, I also have a few XCT525's (same as the XCT555, different color and shock). The XCT models are really awesome. I have a Carbon Jamis, but I keep gravitating to my XCT. One point, are you running the stock for from the XC and is it 4 inch/100mm? The XCT is a 5 inch bike, it may have a steep head angle with a 4" fork. If you have anything 120mm or greater, it should be good.

one less car
    you can imagine what I was thinking. all I "felt" was a kinda thud when it let go. this was a case of just riding long, literally. I had just pulled away from a light and there it went. fork going on it's what's in the first pic, 115mm REBA Team which I figure should be alright. the shock is a RP23 6.5/1.5", I think. I should have it back by this time next week. be careful of your own frame. if it came from the same batch pray your warranty is still valid

mtbr member
    Thanks for the warning

The fork should get you by. Above it looks like they may give you a Monarch on the frame? The 6.5 RP23 shock is an inch too short, the XCT uses a 7.5X2. If you do get the Monarch, it should be good. I bought a new 14' Monarch RT3 for my XCT, it's quite good. Post pics when your up and running. Here is a recent picture of mine:

http://

one less car
    yeah, the 3.1 is included, from what I understand which ain't too bad for 200 $s. gonna miss the lockout on the 23,tho. gonna be a long painful wait. not really crazy about riding in the cold, for fear of damaging the seals/o-rings, and the loaner I got is an abomination called apollo exceed10 2014 Bicycle Range - EXCEED 10 - Apollo Bikes . nice ride of your own, there

it's the worst time for that to break as my winter '00 TREK4500 had a cross piece between the chainstays erode away to what amounts to a sliver due to road salt since I first got it way back when. I'm thinking on instead of another hardtail, find a soft to use the 23 on

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good deal to me. I don't think any Monarch shock (not 100% sure) really locks out, but the 3.1's platform adjustment will make a noticeable difference, especially when climbing and they are capable of home user rebuilding.

I live in NJ, ride mine pretty much all year long unless the snow is more than 2". The seals should be good for quite a while and the bearings on many of my bikes have lasted years without replacement. BTW, if you feel like rebuilding your spare/loaner, check out Nashbar dot com or bikeisland dot come, both have inexpensive black frames. I have then added stickers from ebay and built them for friends.

one less car
    thx, I'll have a looksee at those..., one of these days

Custom User Title
    sounds like an excellent deal to me.

my 2011 KHS Velvet broke under warranty and my negotiations are not going as well. Due to changes in models and standards (disappearance of 26" wheels) I am looking at more like $1000 to salvage anything from my recent purchase.

I hope we find a solution as fair as this!
    "an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

one less car
    woulda been a better deal if I didn't have to shell out for shipping, and additional 30 $s. but still, 260 after that and tax ain't at all bad

sux0rz having frames break, and still warrantied they should do something for ya. could be it depends on the dealer. where i got my original XC104 several yrs ago the previous store owner was pretty decent and the carried over to the new owners. the 104 frame cracked just above the weld at the seat/top tube. hopefully some kind of accommodation can be made, considering.

got the 555 today. rides pretty nice, for streets. won't be doing much more than that until spring, next august. now I just need something for winter. I'll get a pic or 2 of it in the pic thread

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by B@dKarma View Post
    sux0rz having frames break, and still warrantied they should do something for ya. could be it depends on the dealer. where i got my original XC104 several yrs ago the previous store owner was pretty decent and the carried over to the new owners. the 104 frame cracked just above the weld at the seat/top tube. hopefully some kind of accommodation can be made, considering.
    walking out of the bush, in the dark, with your frame in pieces does suck large! and I am glad that we agree that they should be doing more...given the situation. I was starting to wonder if I was being unreasonable. KHS tried welding the snapped chainstay initially, but that did not hold I think that I was being fair letting them try, but now they need to step up. the dealer shouldn't be on the hook for warranty.. your dealer must have a very good relationship with KHS, my LBS is helpful but getting stonewalled by KHS. still hoping

it will be a looooong wait now for you to see some singletrack I will watch the pic thread.

one less car
    they welded it? I'm not suprised it didn't hold. hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they might end doing for you, what they did for me, end up paying for a discounted same or similar frame, but seeing yours still inside the warranty... I'd keep after the LBS

one less car
    pix are up

I was thinking. had you considered contacting KHS yourself? maybe explain you're not sure yout LBS has done everything they could. there's a letter in the dec MBA. someone had a pivot bolt break constantly over 2yrs. the writer eventually had his flagstaff replaced after having contacted them directly kinda early on. couldn't hurt

Custom User Title
    I received notice yesterday that the LBS is passing me to work with KHS directly to resolve. zero satisfaction so far but still hoping...sure not how I pictured my first warranty claim going.

one less car
    I'm assuming you mean you'll be dealing with khs. hopefully you'll get a bit further than the lbs did. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't honor the warranty, unless khs suspects the cause was something other than a fault with the bike. seeing as they honored one warranty fault and gave me a really decent deal on a second, there should be reason to be optimistic

Custom User Title
    yes, dealing with KHS now. there have been no questions about the warranty, they just seem stuck on move away from 26inch wheels. The only options being put forward would be an older entry level 650B frame... I know, I know, 650B is awesome and I should be sooo lucky to upgrade, but I just bought my new KHS last year I am not in a position to put another $1000 + to get wheels and fork and so on for a rig that will be work less than 1K when ride it out of the LBS. it sucks, all I want is my simple bike back without borrowing and spending another $1000.

they claim to have zero 26" XC stock. zero... they were marketing 26" XC bikes as late as 2013 but now claim to have zero stock and apparently NO plans to support them.

It is not closed yet, but I am very unimpressed with their corporate planning... when you decide to discontinue a major, major technology... core to the MTB industry since the industry began, you need a plan in place to support that major change and not leave your customers in the lurch. I have yet to see that plan.

if you have a 26" KHS be VERY careful with it!!! evidently they can't do anything to help you if it is faulty and/or breaks.

I woke up on a bad mood about it, maybe I need to be more patient, maybe it will work out.

one less car
    seems you might have 2 choices. eat the 1k for a new wheel set, OR, make a deal with the lbs you've been dealing with and trade whatever 650b is sent for a 26" frame of your liking that they may have. the XCT555 I got might've been the very last frame khs had in a 26. if so, them I'm DAMN lucky. maybe if you mentioned you're aware of someeone who got said 555 very recently. I wonder....would who you're dealing with be able to find out if there are any 26's available in canada? and yeah, it DOESN'T make sense to no longer support 26" anymore, cuz there're prolly more of them than any other wheel size right now. gl