mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Retro KHS TiLite (1995?)

I've just bought this frame and I wondered whether any KHS expert on here knows anything about their history.

There's no sign on it to say where it was made, but am I right in thinking Taiwan? The serial number is ahfm51 950/011, but I can't think what ahfm might mean.

Might 950/011 mean it was built in 1995? The only reference in BikePedia to titanium KHS bikes is the 1994 Ti Issue and Ti Team. Maybe they called the 1995 bike TiLite because 95 was when they brought out the Alite - the name TiLite fits a similar pattern so maybe it suggests they came out at the same time?

It weighs 3.1lbs, which is quite light even for a small ti frame - I wonder whether that might mean it was quite a lively ride, even a little flexy? I'll tell you in a couple of weeks.

It has a c-t seat tube length of 16", so I would say it was a size 16 - but didn't KHS only sell hardtails in odd-numbered sizes?

Aside from that, it's pretty much the size of a Kona size 17 - c-c seat tube 14" (same), c-c top tube 552mm (4mm more), head tube 115mm (5mm more), chainstay 430mm (5mm more)

Any comments would be very welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Retro KHS TiLite (1995?)-1995-so-khs-tilite-frame-serial-ahfm51-950-011.jpg  

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    As I recall, the frames were made by Litespeed. In the mid-90s, the two largest manufacturers of Titanium frames for other brands were Litespeed and Sandvik. There was no real taiwanese production yet, and the only "cheaper" production frames were made in russia (Raleigh's frames for example).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread