Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

rear shock question XCT 535

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  KVW 
#1 ·
2008 KHS XCT535

My buddy has a 2008 KHS XCT535 and measured the rear shock but is getting some weird measurements. Does anyone know the correct shock overall length and stroke length for this frame?

He is also in the market to buy a new rear shock. He just put a x fusion velvet on it and its buttery smooth and very plush and wants the rear end to feel the same. He was looking into the X fusion rear shocks and the monarchs. He likes going down chunky terrain/downhill and wants to stay with an air shock.

What’s the best rear shock for this bike and his riding style?

#2 ·
The shock is a 7.5"(i2i) X 2.0" (stroke). The RS bar is pretty entry-level, I have run an RS Monarch and X-Fusion RPV (lower-end model, but I like it). You will need 1/2" shock mount bushings (Fox, RS Monarch, newer X-Fusion) they are:
Upper mount width - 22.2 mm
Lower mount width - 36 mm
I ride mine over all sorts of terrain, my favorite trail has black diamond ups and downs. FOX Floats, RS Monarchs, and most X-Fusions will give him a smile and will be an upgrade from his Bar.

#4 ·
Hey Paul,

I just bought one of these XCT 535 frames to try and introduce my girlfriend to a full suspension trail bike. I'm going to be building it up this next couple of weeks. :cool:

It comes with an "X-Fusion 02 RC" shock - would you say it would be worth it to upgrade the shock to one of the newer shocks from RS or Fox?

From the reviews I've read, they said the bike rides a little harsh but responds well if pushed hard to activate all of its suspension. She's 5'3 120lbs, she definitely won't be able to muscle it as the reviewer suggest, lol. I was thinking maybe a shock that was more plush might be a better fit for her. But at the same time, I don't want to introduce horrible pedal bob either. Do you have any suggestions? :confused:

#5 ·
I actually liked the original Rock Shox on mine; but it wasn't an xfusion. The only reason I bought the Fox was because I was on a bit of a Fox snob run, and wanted to match the front. The Fox is definatly a better shock, but I think the linkage design has more to do with eliminating pedal bob then the shock does - BUT - the Fox does have pro-pedal and I do use it.

#6 ·
Gotcha. I see now - you have an XCT 555 which came with an RS shock so i guess you wouldn't know how good (or poorly) this x-fusion performs...

Been digging a little more, I think the X-fusion O2 has an actual lock out which will help her in the climbs. Maybe it will be just better to ride it as it is now and then when winter hits I can see if PUSH can re-valve it to make it more plush. :idea:

#8 ·
Thanks for the feedback on the shock Rsabarese, that's good news! the frame just came in, just waiting for the last few parts and i'll build her up and report back. :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Got the frame last week, finally getting all the parts in to build her up. :thumbsup:

First thing's first - White out all those horrible unremovable decals (what were you think KHS?! :skep: Graphics designed by a 6yr old boy?).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.