Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

2012 Prescott

Last edited by captdee; 06-24-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: no picturwe

mtbr member
    My 2007 KHS xc004 that i bought off a friend. It came with spinner grind fork and a bunch of crappy parts. Upgraded fork to RockShox Tora Sl, easton mokey bar, specialized stem, Dt swiss 445d with The Captain tires, and avid bb7s. Bike lost a ton of weight!
    2013 Specialized P 26 AM green/purple. Nuff said

Giant Faith

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    How much does it weight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

1999 KHS Softail Comp

Heres a couple quick picks of My 99 KHS softail
    XTR M960 Shifters,Levers, M952 Crank, BB and Derailers, 105 road cassette 12-25
    Mavic UST Crossroc Wheels and Michelin Tubless Tires, Judy Hydrocoil Fork

Color is a Tangerine Orange (metallic fleck)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your KHS pics-wp_000934.jpg  

Post your KHS pics-wp_000955.jpg  

Post your KHS pics-wp_000959.jpg  

Post your KHS pics-wp_000933.jpg  

Post your KHS pics-wp_000910.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Beautiful retro.

mtbr member
    Nice.. another older KHS!
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the0r1st View Post
    How much does it weight?
    Not sure at the moment. Id say somewhere around 25- 27 lbs. I'll have to take it by the shop and get it put on a scale.
    2013 Specialized P 26 AM green/purple. Nuff said

Giant Faith

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Khs xct 555

Here is my bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your KHS pics-imag0321.jpg  

Post your KHS pics-imag0322.jpg  

NedwannaB

Couple Q's:

Quote Originally Posted by pulley View Post
    Here is my bike
    How's the Paul chain keeper working out and what travel fork are you running?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The fork is a RS recon 351 at 130mm, but it sits closer to 140 if that makes any sense. The paul chain keeper does the job, i am looking for something a little more robust. The BB mount chain guide will not work with my crankset. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by pulley; 07-23-2012 at 06:40 AM.

NedwannaB

MRP or e-13

The fork is a RS recon 351 at 130mm, but it sits closer to 140 if that makes any sense. The paul chain keeper does the job, i am looking for something a little more robust. The BB mount chain guide will not work with my crankset. Any suggestions?
    So you don't have an external bearing bb I take it. They both have a seat tube mount style. I have a Paul, and an e13/Hive. I like the e13 a little better as it has a closed retaining loop in back similar to a reg derailur to keep the chain in position better.

If you're thinking on getting a newer cranks I'd wait and get the bb mounted type keeper with the upper/lower pullys for that bike.

As for fork on these, I'm looking at picking up a 140mm travel to build up my frame again. Found a Fox Vanilla but has 15mm thru axle and I need to get a hub to relace my front wheel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    So you don't have an external bearing bb I take it. They both have a seat tube mount style. I have a Paul, and an e13/Hive. I like the e13 a little better as it has a closed retaining loop in back similar to a reg derailur to keep the chain in position better.

If you're thinking on getting a newer cranks I'd wait and get the bb mounted type keeper with the upper/lower pullys for that bike.

As for fork on these, I'm looking at picking up a 140mm travel to build up my frame again. Found a Fox Vanilla but has 15mm thru axle and I need to get a hub to relace my front wheel.
    I have an External BB, the crankset will not allow for any additional spacing inorder to work properly. The extra space added by the BB mount chain guide would allow my crank to pinch/smash the BB bearings, kinda like overtightening a headset. Long story short will not work unless i get a different crank. (Truvativ Stylo :-( )

There was a local seller here in az that had a couple Fox 150mm travel forks super cheap! but they were tapered so that was a no go. This fork is from an old bike, waiting till i have the funds to get a new fork.

mtbr member
    Hi Pulley,
    A couple of quick things, I run a Blackspire Stinger on my 08 and 09 XCT's using a Truvativ FireX, very similar to a Stylo. The first gen Stylo's had a short shaft, later model (07 +) should be ok. You can validate by looking for a space between the crank and the BB cup on the drive side. The manual is sketchy, but they say no spacers with a 73/73e (e= an extra 2.5mm). There have been threads about it in MTBR. It's worth a look, but not a guarantee with the Stylo, the FireX s definitly OK.
    Also, if you want to run a tapered steerer, you can use a CaneCreek lower cup that allows a ZS44 to run an external 1.5. It will raise the front a bit, but not too much. They call EC44 (External cup for a 44mm).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    Hi Pulley,
    A couple of quick things, I run a Blackspire Stinger on my 08 and 09 XCT's using a Truvativ FireX, very similar to a Stylo. The first gen Stylo's had a short shaft, later model (07 +) should be ok. You can validate by looking for a space between the crank and the BB cup on the drive side. The manual is sketchy, but they say no spacers with a 73/73e (e= an extra 2.5mm). There have been threads about it in MTBR. It's worth a look, but not a guarantee with the Stylo, the FireX s definitly OK.
    Also, if you want to run a tapered steerer, you can use a CaneCreek lower cup that allows a ZS44 to run an external 1.5. It will raise the front a bit, but not too much. They call EC44 (External cup for a 44mm).
    The shaft was to short! alread had a full chain guide that would not work.

NedwannaB

Got it

I have an External BB, the crankset will not allow for any additional spacing inorder to work properly. The extra space added by the BB mount chain guide would allow my crank to pinch/smash the BB bearings, kinda like overtightening a headset. Long story short will not work unless i get a different crank. (Truvativ Stylo :-( )

There was a local seller here in az that had a couple Fox 150mm travel forks super cheap! but they were tapered so that was a no go. This fork is from an old bike, waiting till i have the funds to get a new fork.
    Yeah I couldnt quite tell what cranks you had, thought you had the older style bb. Doesn't the chain guide require removing one of the shim spacers in it's place? Still didn't work huh.

So I ran 650B wheels on my 555 when it was together. I wanted to try a real 650 frame so I bought a Ventana El Bastardo and swapped out parts. Nice set up but have to do some economizing now. Had/have the 555 frame for sale in here/Craigslist lots of lookers but no takers. Will get more net return selling the Bastardo then the few hundred $ the KHS will bring in. I'm hoping with a 140 fork and 650 front wheel it will get the slack(er) geo I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Yeah I couldnt quite tell what cranks you had, thought you had the older style bb. Doesn't the chain guide require removing one of the shim spacers in it's place? Still didn't work huh.

So I ran 650B wheels on my 555 when it was together. I wanted to try a real 650 frame so I bought a Ventana El Bastardo and swapped out parts. Nice set up but have to do some economizing now. Had/have the 555 frame for sale in here/Craigslist lots of lookers but no takers. Will get more net return selling the Bastardo then the few hundred $ the KHS will bring in. I'm hoping with a 140 fork and 650 front wheel it will get the slack(er) geo I'm looking for.
    I had a friend that suggested i run 650B wheels. He "was" riding a Jamis 650B2 at the time, and wouldnt stop talking about how much he liked the KHS XCT. Let me know what the verdict is once you run the 650s.

As for the crank, it is currently set up w/o shims.

NedwannaB

Taper steer

Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on lower cup. I hadn't thought of that.

mtbr member
    The shaft was to short! alread had a full chain guide that would not work.
    Is it an older version, pre-2007? SRAM has stated the newer version work with a BB mount chain guide. My FireX is late 2006, and does work. Either way, it look like you have found a solution. I'd like to see pics when your all up and running with chain stay mount. You never know when you need an alternative.

NedwannaB

I've already had it 650.

I had a friend that suggested i run 650B wheels. He "was" riding a Jamis 650B2 at the time, and wouldnt stop talking about how much he liked the KHS XCT. Let me know what the verdict is once you run the 650s.

As for the crank, it is currently set up w/o shims.
    Worked great. BB a little high with them @ 13.75" w/130mm fork but good for pedal strikes on techy crawling. And the Special Ed FSR rr suspension is pretty good over all.

I have my complete Ventana El Bastardo 650B up for sale now, but if it ends up I only sell frame they'll go back on the XCT w/ the 140mm fork I'm looking at.

I'll keep tabs on thread and post back if I build KHS up.

mtbr member
    From what I've read, you have to mod the triangle in order for the 650Bs to fit. Any pics of yours?
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    From what I've read, you have to mod the triangle in order for the 650Bs to fit. Any pics of yours?
    yes, what he said. have an '09 535 frame on the way and am kinda hoping to run it 650, as i have the wheels to do so, and a line on a fork that'd work.

did you have to jack with the chainstay bridge?

NedwannaB

NO mods needed for me

Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    Technically it would be needed to shim shock, but @ 135# I never get it compressed that far. Tire selection comes into play. I've had 2.1 Neo's and Nev's oon. Have a Quasi now but not thrown it on to check. Appears they are pretty close to the Neo in size tbough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    this is cross posted in the 650b forum, but anyways... the 535 ('09) won't go 650b. tried with a quasi-moto and it's not even close.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

mtbr member
    My street bike, 2005 KHS DJ200. Cheap & tough.
    Last edited by chain_slap; 11-02-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast