mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Picked up an '07 XC-104 - upgrade questions

I picked up a basically brand new (ridden about 20 miles) 2007 XC-104 for my son. He was looking for a FS to get into riding. I didn't want to spend much since he is testing the water, so $250 got the KHS.

I have some spare parts around and plan to put BB7 discs on front and back and clip in pedals. I have read front back shocks are so hot. What would you guys suggest for a rear assuming a $100-150 budget and front forks with a $100-200 budget. I know, not a lot but it's a budget bike. My budget could go up if he really does a lot riding.

Rookie
    Like you said. See if he really gets into it.
    I'd suggest used from pinkbike. You could find some sweet deals on there.
    Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes, Gear and Parts - Pinkbike.com
    Ruder than you.
    Ska is not dead!

mtbr member
    The front fork and or wheelset is the biggest upgrade. I wouldn't worry about the rear shock until it goes bad; they work pretty well in my opinion.

For a front fork upgrade, you are looking between 300-400 for somthing worth upgrading to. Somthing in the relm of Fox, Rock Shox reba, revolution, etc..

For brakes, why not get hydraulic disc? You can usually find a good quality set for front and rear around $100 -- I found some nice Avid R's on these forums.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM