Big Damn Hero

Noob XC204 Derailleur Question...

Hey all, so I got my bike today and am attempting to put it together myself to help me learn more about the bike. The build consisted of installing seat post, handlebars, wheels, rear wheel, rear derailleur and pedals... not that much really.

Unfortunately I'm stuck on the rear derailleur. It doesn't make sense to me as to how it attaches to the swing arm. There is a loose washer/nut thing in the area circled below, and I assume that is what should hold the derailleur to the frame, but can't figure out how. Any advice would be much appreciated!

mtbr member
    I believe their is a front and a back to that "bolt". Push the derailler hanger tight to the frame and try to tighten that bolt while holding the back of it assuming the back is there.

My guess is your probably missing the back considering that normally comes tight, it may have become loose and fallen off. Check in the box that the bike came in for the other half.

Big Damn Hero
    Thanks for the response. Looking at it, it doesn't appear to have threads that would essentially create a 'front' and 'back' of the bolt.

Taking a look at it, it almost appears as though the inside of the bolt is two piece...

mtbr member
    Usually the derailleur hangar has a front bolt that is two pieces and a rear bolt that is one piece.

use this:
    http://derailleurhanger.com/khs.htm?...tctg=210419650
    Wham, Bam, Thank You Ma'am!

Big Damn Hero
    So it sounds like I missing the back of the hanger bolt? I checked everywhere and don't see any extra parts laying around.

If so, this kind of sucks because I have a big ride on Saturday...

mtbr member
    Ummm yeah.... that would be a major problem.

EDIT: you could tighten your chainand make it singlespeed in the back for the time being... Without your hanger that sounds like all you can do
    Last edited by KHSrider41; 12-02-2010 at 07:35 AM.
    Wham, Bam, Thank You Ma'am!

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRsteve
    Thanks for the response. Looking at it, it doesn't appear to have threads that would essentially create a 'front' and 'back' of the bolt.

Taking a look at it, it almost appears as though the inside of the bolt is two piece...

It looks to me like its all there, screwed together. One side should be a allen wrench bolt and the other should look like a big flat screw driver will fit in a slot on the back. This picture shows the slot on the back. Hold the back and try unscrewing it.

Big Damn Hero
    Thanks guys, I took it down to the LBS and they showed me... bike is all set and ready to go for tomorrow!

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRsteve
    Thanks guys, I took it down to the LBS and they showed me... bike is all set and ready to go for tomorrow!

Was it all there or did you have to buy something? My curiosity is making me ask.

Big Damn Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119
    Was it all there or did you have to buy something? My curiosity is making me ask.
    Yeah it was all there, just a two piece bolt that required a hex wrench and nut driver... I'm a bit ashamed I couldn't figure it out myself. I installed a superchager on my Mustang, but couldn't mount a derailleur to my bike frame. :-)