Thread: new xct

mtbr member

new xct

well i got the xct frame build ready, is a mix of componets that i have around from other bikes and new ones(more new) the only thing that i donīt now how is gona perform is the x fusion shock, dosenīt give me confidence (i donīt test the bike on a ride yet) i donīt now how much air to put because there no weight charts for x fusion shocks so im gona ride the bike and see how it feels, if somebody have one shock like this any information will help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new xct-004.jpg  

new xct-008.jpg  

new xct-009.jpg  

new xct-015.jpg  

new xct-016.jpg  

new xct-020.jpg  

new xct-025.jpg  

new xct-021.jpg  

new xct-030.jpg  

new xct-026.jpg  

mtbr member
    Try starting off with your weight minus 10 or 20 lbs. That's a good starting point. A different leverage ration will require more or less. The X-Fusion is not a bad shock, it can be maintained and the copany is good. Let us know what you think...

mtbr member
    well after two days of testing this bike i have to say that i was very dissapointed whit the performance of the xct, i really think that this bike is gona feels better but i have to say no, heres what i found, the first thing the xct is very bad climber, and i donīt mind the weight the bike ended weighting about 31- 32 pounds, but i have 2 more bikes that weight more (specialized pitch pro 32-33lbs and kona five 0 34lbs) this bikes climbs much but much better than the xct,i feels theres a lot of lost of energy in this bike in hard climbing, i can feel the extra power i have tu put in m legs to put the bike on top of the climb,i put more air in the rear shock to have a firmer pedaling set but it didinīt help you need tons of energy for goin up, i try a longer stem for more power in the climbs, move the saddle in differents positions never feel good on this bike, i do the exact same trail that i do whit my other bikes so i now how if feel in every part of the trail whit the khs i was so so tired i only wanted that my ride ends, and in downhills nothing great my kona five 0 hardtail is much, much better than the xct and i only pay $250 for the frame, i think im goin to put this frame in sale right now, i wanted this bike like a cross county trail thing but if a bike climbs bad and sucks all your energy after 2 hours of climbing is not good, anybody intrested in the frame?

mtbr member
    WOW you are the first person I've ever heard complain about the XCT performance on climbs.. I hope this isn't really the case. Dang, too bad I have to wait 2 more months for this arctic blast to melt away before I test it.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    BTW- Is that a 7 speed rear cassette you have? Why in the world would you build this thing up with that rear cog? The reason I ask is because the drivetrain components are solid with the exception of the rear cassette. There is a way too big of jump between low gears in my opinion.
    Last edited by Pauldotcom; 02-07-2011 at 08:34 AM.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    I don't share the same experience Brunomu. Mine climbs and descends fairly well. I see you have Pike, which is a great for for downhill. Do you happen to have it in the 140mm (or is it a 150mm) mode for climbing? The 2009/2010 XCT line has 127mm of travel (as I was told by KHS when I asked) not the 140mm of the 2008, so maybe your a bit unbalanced with the fork and a 7 speed rear with the large jump between gears 2 and 1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom
    WOW you are the first person I've ever heard complain about the XCT performance on climbs.. I hope this isn't really the case. Dang, too bad I have to wait 2 more months for this arctic blast to melt away before I test it.
    yes man i now that it sounds bad but maybe the frame just donīt work for me (my legs are so sore from yesterday ride i feel i go to the gym and do leg press whit tons of wheigt) and i tell you that i use the wheelset from my other bike so theres no such thing that you can blame on the wheelset, i really donīt now whats wrong but i donīt look forward to ride this bike again, it was i bad riding feeling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I noticed the same thing about my XC004. I firmed up the rear shock (RS SID XC) so it would be basically locked out. I feel that it took more work to do the same thing as my BMC. I just could not pinpoint the problem. It was 8sp and had a Revelation @ 130 on the front.
    So right now the frame is hanging on the wall.

mtbr member
    you say the right words my friend, takes more work to do the same thing

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Pitch Pro is a great bike. I think one would have to set the KHS up pretty well to match it in climbing, despite the abbreviated travel (127mm to 150mm).

Would you mind posting your weight and the shock settings (air pressure, sag, and rebound)?

Do you climb with the fork at 140mm or 95mm? Does it matter which? What gear are you typically climbing in?

Do you use a platform in the shock while climbing on the Pitch?

How is the descending compared to the Pitch and the Kona?

Are you in Mexico? How's the riding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyoskin
    The Pitch Pro is a great bike. I think one would have to set the KHS up pretty well to match it in climbing, despite the abbreviated travel (127mm to 150mm).

Would you mind posting your weight and the shock settings (air pressure, sag, and rebound)?

Do you climb with the fork at 140mm or 95mm? Does it matter which? What gear are you typically climbing in?

Do you use a platform in the shock while climbing on the Pitch?

How is the descending compared to the Pitch and the Kona?

Are you in Mexico? How's the riding?
    yes the pitch is a super great bike, it makes you a better rider the only thing negative about the pitch is the weight 14.200kg about 32pounds but you donīt feel it, climbs like a cross country bike, the khs xct weight less but never feel good on the climbs i try differents air settings ( i carry the pump in my camelīfor the ride on the khs) i start whit 80psi to much bob in the rear, go up to100 the same and go to 130 the shock was hard 20% sag but the climbing bad, i weight 75kg, about 165lbs, i think thats was wrong is the frame desing, i sart whit 140mm on the rock shox pike and down to 100mm it was a little better in 100, but i climb in the pitch whit a 160mm fork and my kona hardtail has 140mm never have a problem, the gear that i use on the climbs depends on the climb i like to use high gears, in the khs it was impossible, in the pitch you have the fox rp2 it has no lockout but have peddaling mode, it moves when you stand up and put a lot of power on the peddals but the feedback is good donīt affect your climbing, descending in the pitch is awsome you can do anything (if you donīt do it is because you canīt , not the bike) but i donīt want to put the pitch and the khs comparing in that area is not a fair, the kona five 0 is a tank like 33lbs but climbs very good for the weight, and the downhills is incredible, is like a full suspension bike but whit the rear shock in the lockout mode, the khs is nervius on fast downhills 69 head angle is not enough i mean the bike do much better in descending than in the climbing area, like somebody says TAKES MORE WORK TO DO THE SAME THING, and whit no fun, im in mexico city and we have a lot of places around for mountain bike, the thing here is that you have to climb a lot to go down, theres not to much flat roads (thank god) here people are buying carbon and 29ers i want the specialized camber frame but it was to expensive like $1000 bucks thats why i buy the khs$500 now i regret, right now is dry and the mountains are like powder and lots of rocks but in summer it can rain heavy for 4-5 months daily.everybody is welcome here for riding, i donīt now how im getting rid of the khs frame, in mexico nobody nows khs,to bad.

mtbr member
    You need way more pressure in the shock than 130 psi, starting with 80psi is that some kind of joke? no wonder you had some serious bob, try 160

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    You need way more pressure in the shock than 130 psi, starting 80psi is that some kind of joke? no wonder you had some serious bob, try 160
    i now 80 was wrong it was the pressure that the shock came stock on the frame, i dont used like that more than 10 minutes and at 130psi the shock was so hard, in the descending feel like a hardtail,i think 160 would be out of the question.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Awww, Mexico City mountain biking sounds like an adventure. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to find a good place for a beer afterward.

Found this review of the XCT online:

http://www.dirtragmag.com/node/25267

The guy is about your size, and was using an X Fusion shock at 20% sag, which was about 100psi, and rebound in the middle. The shock was the RC, though, and I guess yours is the RPV (?) which appears to have a non-adjustable platform valve.

Hope you get it sorted and back to having a good time in the hills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyoskin
    Awww, Mexico City mountain biking sounds like an adventure. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to find a good place for a beer afterward.

Found this review of the XCT online:

http://www.dirtragmag.com/node/25267

The guy is about your size, and was using an X Fusion shock at 20% sag, which was about 100psi, and rebound in the middle. The shock was the RC, though, and I guess yours is the RPV (?) which appears to have a non-adjustable platform valve.

Hope you get it sorted and back to having a good time in the hills.
    hi, thanks for the review i have look it like 20 times already,and yes mexico city have tons of places for mountain bike the whole city is around mountains and of course beer in any place.

mtbr member
    i just sold my frame today in what it cost me $400 us, i lost the shippment to mexico $150 the seatpost $35 and the bike shop build $50 and $10 to take all the things out again, well im happy this story ends here no more khs for me.

mtbr member
    Strange story... Every review I've ever read about the KHS XCT has been very solid. I still go down thinking it was a setup issue; regardless... Hopefully that gorgeous red stallion will end up being built by a new owner who takes care of it like it deserves...

Big Damn Hero
    I have found that I'm having issues on short very steep climbs on my XC204. Coming from hard tails where I had less of an issue.

I've increased the shock pressure to 170lbs and it's gotten better, but still climbing performance on some hills isn't quite what I was hoping for.

That being said, I feel as though everywhere else the KHS is an upgrade over my old Fisher hard tail.

mtbr member
    Regardless of bike, a hardtail is going to climb slightly easier because there is 0 bob... Well i think anyhow...

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    It was most definitely a setup issue.

I just finished transferring my parts over to a 535 frame, did a shakedown ride today, and it was amazing.

I was a bit hesitant after reading the initial rear suspension reaction that most of the magazine reviews talk about (the bike doesn't start to really respond until you push it hard, bla bla etc), but that is actually a great asset when you're out on more technical and rough trails.

I don't need or WANT to use 80% of my travel on slower trail riding over roots, rocks, etc., I'd rather my suspension kicked in when I do drops or really start hauling down the trails. I've ridden and observed plenty of high dollar FS bikes out on the trails, where that's been their major downfall. From $1000 bikes to $6000 bikes, a lot of the frame designs have that problem. Not to mention if your suspension is moving several inches for every tiny little root and dip in the trail, it soaks up tons of momentum and forward motion.

With the leverage angles of the setup, you don't use up all your travel on the small stuff, but it does give you a plush ride with great suspension.

I did several drops of 3-4ft and didn't come close to bottoming out, despite having a rear shock pressure that gave a pretty soft ride in the rear. But in this case, the leverage the shock has over the rear triangle works really really well. Adopting the FSR rear triangle was a good move, especially coupled with that particular shock location.

Climbing: almost no rear bob at all.

The rest of the frame goes without saying, a burly head tube, great angles and geometry with no flex, yet still comes in at 30-32lb depending on parts. Cant complain!

mtbr member
    Great review man! Sounds like you ride the same stuff I do. I've ridden several different "soft tails" and for my type of riding they have been overly responsive on the small stuff. Some guys had the things setup so soft I felt like I was bobbing and loosing momentum like you stated.

Like you, I wanted the rear suspension to soak up the big stuff; other than that I really don't care. I don't want to feel like I'm riding a caddy. Boy, you are really exciting me about this frame. I am hoping to ride my build next week (but it will be in winter/snow conditions).

After my initial test ride (street) I adjusted my rear to 170psi (which is what Rock Shox recommends for my weight). There is about 3/4 of travel, so it's perfect for me. I cant wait to thrash this thing around..

BTW-- Where are the pics????

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Which Magura is that? I have a Menja 130 on an XCT, and am going to have to modify its volume to control brake dive and blowing through travel. Have you sorted yours to work well with the rear?

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Menja 130 also.

Its a bit soft at first with the right sag setting, but it progresses well. I've had brake dive on every bike with an air fork and slack-er head angle, so I don't really notice it.

It will take some trial and error with different pressure and rebound settings to get it to where you like it.

mtbr member
    Bike looks sick man nice!!! sweeeet!