My little friends

My KHS XC-204 re-birth.

My XC-204 actually started out life as an FXT-COMP of 1999 vintage. My FXT-COMP served me well, and had over 1000 miles of brutal treatment on the rocks that fill the trails around here. I had to replace many components over the years, wheels, crank sets, derailleurs and dozens of chains , all from rough use. This Saturday morning in June however, the unthinkable happened. I had just replaced the rock-worn SPD cleats in my shoes and went for a ride. I entered a rock garden with muddy tires, and lost my line. I began to endo the bike, which I have done countless times, no big deal, but my new cleats were too tight in the Ritchey pedals, and I couldnít un-clip. When I finally did, I performed what can be described as a spinning back kick, in order to get my foot on the ground. Unfortunately, my seat post got in the way, and I ripped it along with the seat tube support, right off of the frame! I looked at the possibility of having it welded back on, but the cost and down time were too great. I looked at getting a new bike, but the cost to get me back where I was before didnít sit too well either. Finally, I figured I would just buy a new frame and transfer as many components off of my FXT as I could over to it, and ran across the XC-204 frame for $300. The price and geometry were perfect, so I had one sent my way. (This all happened with 4 hours of breaking my bike: I couldnít stand being without wheels!). When I got the frame 3 days later, I spent 4 hours or so transferring parts, and adding new shifter cables and tires. It all fit fine; no modifications or scrambles to find parts! I made the first ride that Saturday morning, (with loosened pedal bindings this time! ), and couldnít be happier! It felt so familiar, yet handled and climbed much better. (I had a small frame on the FXT-COMP to be more nimble on some of the tight, twisty trails I ride, but paid for that on loose climbs). One thing that I didnít like, however, was the clanging sound the driveline made over rocks. I thought it was the chain hitting the frame, so I glued a length of cut rubber bungee cord to the square frame. When that didnít quiet things, I discovered that the long rear derailleur was the culprit , and glued another chunk of rubber bungee cord where it was hitting. (I used double face foam 3M UHB tape to stick those on; great stuff!) . Perfect! Back in stealth mode! The bike has a little over 100 miles on it since then; no problems, just shorter timed rides since I now can climb many of the hills I used to have to walk up. Better yet, I was able to use the lower suspension bearings from the FXT to replace the creaky, worn bushings in my old GT LTS-2 that my son now rides!

Silent running conversion!

FXT-COMP lives on!

mtbr member
    Dude.............That is sweeeeet! I too have the 08' model like you I bought as a frame and just built up! You can see it here:

My new old stock 08' XC204 build

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nice bro! I too am building up, basically I'm taking my hardtail and some new components and adding it to the hardtail components I already have. It should be relatively similar to BurnNotice's, and once done I'll post pictures.

Glad you're back on 2 wheels. But hey - this time, try to STAY on those 2 wheels.

mtbr member
    Way to keep it in the family!

BTW, I had the rear derailleur / pivot slap issues as well. Changing to a shadow type derailleur solved that (though it looks like you solved it with the bumpers).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    By the way - are those rotors supposed to be facing like that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted

I bet your right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride
    I bet your right.
    I didn't want to say for a fact as to yes/no if they were or not because I do not recognize the rotors, but the rotors that came with my BB7's have an arrow which indicates their direction flow, which for me puts the "spiral" the opposite direction as posted above in the picture.

Figured I'd say something in case - I would hate to keep quiet in case down the road it became an issue that put somebody at risk.

My little friends
    Well, I don't know! Thanks for the heads-up; I believe they came on my FXT-COMP in that direction, and were used that way for years, but I'll check. Maybe that is why I endo so well!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have the same issue on the XC204 I just built up. I'll have to look around for a shadow. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Vmax911
    BTW, I had the rear derailleur / pivot slap issues as well. Changing to a shadow type derailleur solved that (though it looks like you solved it with the bumpers).

My little friends
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyb
    I have the same issue on the XC204 I just built up. I'll have to look around for a shadow. Thanks for the tip.

Try those home made rubber stops; cheap and effective!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The spokes so to speak should push the rotor outward when braking. If the rotor gets hot and one brakes hard it could collapse the rotor if backwards. I've never seen any facing that way either.

That frame is the best deal I've seen, frame per dollar.

My little friends

I finally remembered to respond! The direction arrows on the rotors do indicate they are turning in the proper direction. Unless of course they stamped them on wrong when they made them! Actually, the brakes are the only thing that has ever given me any trouble on this rig; the Grimeca hydraulics on it will get tighter as the fluid heats up, giving me less lever travel or, on especially long nasty downhills on a hot day, the rears will drag a bit. I carry a bleeder wrench with me so I can let a couple of drops of fluid out of the caliper when things get too hot. A shot of cool Gatorade has been known to work as well!