NedwannaB

The mods may....

pull this forum if it gets too stagnent.......
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Suburban Redneck
    Well let's get it moving then. I realize they aren"t the most popular bikes, but FWIW I feel they are worth the coin. Especially if you go the route a few of us have and do a build fame-up build. While I haven't ridden mine in awhile, when it was first completed I was on it ALOT. Very pleased with the ride, and never any issues with it. For someone like myself who has limited funds for biking but some mechanical ability and wants a good rig, this is the way to go.

Let's here what others have experienced with their KHS's.......................................
    I'm not big-boned, I'm a Clyde.

XC Ground Pounder
    Well, I have a 7 year old KHS that just won't die. And believe me, I've tried to kill it. 7 years, God knows how many miles (Thousands I'm guessing), two trips to the hospital, 3 very frustrating truing sessions (and countless not-so-frustrating), and the ***** keeps coming back for more.

I'm gonna have to wait for the frame to break. Although a carefully placed incision below the gusset might give me what I need.
    Well, since they gave us a KHS forum, I guess I have to come up with something else for a sig.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I hope they keep it open, I like the KHS bikes and might own one as a second bike someday.

NedwannaB

Ok pic post

XCT 555 650B front wheel, soon to be full on with shock travel mod.

Fox Float RLC
    XTR 960 cranks/pedals
    XTR shifter components
    Avid Juicy 5's (working on XTR deal)
    Easton EC70 carbon riser bars/FSA stem
    Easton EA carbon seatpost
    WTB Laser Discs/XT hubs
    2.1 Pacenti NeoMotos
    Blah blah blah

Fun bike (when I'm not on my 29r...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The mods may....-khs_bigrockridge.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hopefully spring is around the corner and will get me here more often!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    650? I guess you are going to give us a ride report soon, then?

Very cool. Have you hung that bike from a scale? Nice build.

What are you doing to the shock?

I've ridden a 555 with a Monarch 2.1, a Fox RP2, and a DHX 5.0. 2.1 is good all around and if I didn't have another shock I would not change it. RP2 is so far my favorite, as I can set it up a bit softer, and still have the platform for fire road climbing, asphalt, etc. The DHX may have the most potential, but I am still fiddling with it, and it also has a reputation for getting stuck down more commonly than other shocks, which I managed to do after about 15 hours of riding. I guess the cold temps don't help. With all the long climbing here, the RP2, with its simple switch, is pretty sweet on the ups and downs, and it does not seem to have cost any sensitivity. Ramp up is still too steep for me, as is the 2.1's, but I am fiddling... Somewhere between the RP2 and the DHX is going to be magic.

mtbr member
    KHS is a top notch frame in my opinion , esp love the cost.
    I picked up a new old stock 08 alite 3000 frame for 250 shiped to my front door .. Sturdy 3 lbs frame , ya cant beat that .!
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

NedwannaB

Yup 650 is me

Quote Originally Posted by wyoskin
    650? I guess you are going to give us a ride report soon, then?

Very cool. Have you hung that bike from a scale? Nice build.

What are you doing to the shock?

I've ridden a 555 with a Monarch 2.1, a Fox RP2, and a DHX 5.0. 2.1 is good all around and if I didn't have another shock I would not change it. RP2 is so far my favorite, as I can set it up a bit softer, and still have the platform for fire road climbing, asphalt, etc. The DHX may have the most potential, but I am still fiddling with it, and it also has a reputation for getting stuck down more commonly than other shocks, which I managed to do after about 15 hours of riding. I guess the cold temps don't help. With all the long climbing here, the RP2, with its simple switch, is pretty sweet on the ups and downs, and it does not seem to have cost any sensitivity. Ramp up is still too steep for me, as is the 2.1's, but I am fiddling... Somewhere between the RP2 and the DHX is going to be magic.
    Virgin ride w/ 650 up front and 2x9 tomorrow (have had a couple spins on my 80mm HT w the 650 and know it will be on this). I don't want to fiddle with the 2.1 shock as not to void frame warranty, so I am actually thinking on the RP2 in order to have full l/o capabilities to match the Float. Need a 2x7.5" I believe. These should be easy to find and relatively inexpensive I would think. Modifications would be installiing wafer thin washers to shorten travel compression up by 1/4" or so for same clearence as with 26" tires. Have not weighed it yet bit seems light enuff for a 140mm travel trail bike. Could have left my XMax SL's on it to cut a few more ounces off, but want it to be true 650 when I'm done.