Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: KHS xct 555

mtbr member

KHS xct 555

Just bought my first KHS. A 2008 xct555. Totally stock for now. Only had a chance to ride it a few times but so far I'm loving it.

GreeneDog
    Totally into that bike right now. How much did it cost you?
    2012 Specialized Enduro Expert EVO
    2012 Specialized Status 2
    2007 Specialized SX
    2007 Specialized P1 Cromo

mtbr member
    approx $600

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    where did you get it so CHEAP? My friend is looking to get one.

mtbr member
    Most likely used since that bike is a 08 model

NedwannaB

Ditto that

Quote Originally Posted by xs650joe
    Just bought my first KHS. A 2008 xct555. Totally stock for now. Only had a chance to ride it a few times but so far I'm loving it

Pretty much same here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KHS xct 555-khs_bigrockridge.jpg  

Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    hi, i just buy a khs xct 525 frame and plan to build whit good parts, i want to use this bike as my second bike, please owners of xct speak of the performence of this bike climbing,decending and for what type of riding you use the xct, also whats the max fork lenght that you can use in this bike, i don´t know to much from khs so any information will be usefull, thanks (i post some pics when i have the bike ready)

NedwannaB

All around trail bike

Quote Originally Posted by brunomu
    hi, i just buy a khs xct 525 frame and plan to build whit good parts, i want to use this bike as my second bike, please owners of xct speak of the performence of this bike climbing,decending and for what type of riding you use the xct, also whats the max fork lenght that you can use in this bike, i don´t know to much from khs so any information will be usefull, thanks (i post some pics when i have the bike ready)
    Climbs and descends great with FSR linkage. I believe the fork travel is best @ 140,150mm max. You should check on what length would void warranty first before purchasing/installing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Climbs and descends great with FSR linkage. I believe the fork travel is best @ 140,150mm max. You should check on what length would void warranty first before purchasing/installing.
    thanks man, just a couple of questions how much travel fork are you using on your xct?, i buy the xct 525 im looking at the rear shock and i see that is no lock up only rebound adjust( is the x fusion), i think you have the 555 (it comes whit rock shox) do you use the lock up in hard climbs? and what kind of riding you use the xct? thanks.

NedwannaB

No lockout

Quote Originally Posted by brunomu
    thanks man, just a couple of questions how much travel fork are you using on your xct?, i buy the xct 525 im looking at the rear shock and i see that is no lock up only rebound adjust( is the x fusion), i think you have the 555 (it comes whit rock shox) do you use the lock up in hard climbs? and what kind of riding you use the xct? thanks.
    Mine came with the Rock Shox 2.1. Going to possibly upgrade to 3 or 4 Monarch series or a Fox if one is dialed for this type fsr susp frame.

I am running a 130mm (+5") Float as that is what I had. More XC feel with it but pretty much that's my riding. Have a 650B front wheel to put on that will raise/slacken things abit. Not planning to go to a bigger travel fork unless I come across a good deal, as this is my secondary bike.

mtbr member
    I would chime in but my finished build is sitting in me basement because there is about 4 feet of snow outside that wont melt!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KHS xct 555-bike-1.jpg  

Last edited by Pauldotcom; 01-30-2011 at 09:07 AM.

mtbr member
    New pic with a few changes made to my 555 recently. Syncros Mental Alloy Pedals, Raceface EvolveDH riser bars and Kore 65mm stem. Also got tired of using the camelbak on every ride so I added a water bottle rack with a couple of zip ties. Works real good.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flboy
    where did you get it so CHEAP? My friend is looking to get one.
    *BUMP*

Yes I would like to know as well; I'm eyeing a 2009 KHS XCT-525, but I haven't heard much about them, nor seen any in depth reviews...

I NEED to get a bike soon, but the prices people are bidding for USED (see no warranty usually), older bikes is insane(!)... What is going on here?!

mtbr member
    My review.
    The XCT525
    Very light, nimble, and quick. Please note that mine is different because it is a custom build.
    That being said the frame is a good, light weight start. If I had to start over again with my build I wouldn't change the frame for the world.
    I do not experiance any pedal bob whatsoever on uphills. Downhills are amazing. I've read alot of bad reviews about the rear rock shox. I put on a Fox fork in front. To be honest, I like the rear shock just as much as I like the front. The rear shock is perfect for me - a weekend warrior that rides 3-4x a week and doesn't hit 6 ft jumps.

I get complements all of the time on the look of the bike. For the money, I think the KHS525 is a steal. I bought my frame for $299 brand new!

As you can see, I have nothing but good things to say. I have yet to experiance any negatives. I did change a couple things out on my build to fix certain rider preferences, but that's it.

Good luck with your quest to find a new bike; but do NOT overlook the KHS>
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

NedwannaB

What travel fork?

Quote Originally Posted by xs650joe
    Works real good.
    140?

mtbr member
    My fork is a 140mm
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have a XCT535 frame with 555 components. With upgrades though, new fiber bars and seatpost, 1x9 drivetrain with shimano XTR derailer and shifter, stroker ace brakes, rides great. Looking for a new shock thought I have the rockshox monarch 3.1 and i dont like it because it doesnt have a lockout, and suggestions on a good shock?

mtbr member
    How about a pic?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I cant post pics just yet as a new member have to post 10 threads first. Ill get back to you guys, I'll also try to post pics on my profile.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    ^^^ I'm seeing 12 posts; ahem... :-p

NedwannaB

Upgrade update

Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumV12 View Post
    ^^^ I'm seeing 12 posts; ahem... :-p
    Should still count as a new post!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KHS xct 555-downeville_rig.jpg  

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Those of you that have swapped in other rear shocks, can any of you tell me the eye to eye length, and stroke?

Thanks!

EDIT: more digging shows me it appears to be a 7.5 x 2 for the shock. Anyone able to confirm?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    The shock is 7.5 X 2.0. Depending on the model, you may be able to reuse your mounting hardware. For example, the RS Bar uses the same 12mm as the Manitou shocks and the older X-Fusion O2 series. The RS Monarch uses the same 1/2" as all Fox, the RS Vivid, newer X-Fusion O2, and I believe most Marzocchi.

mtbr member
    Has anyone put a FOX 23 on the back of a XCT yet? Pics?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    we've been together +2years... we go up slow; then we shred all way down...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KHS xct 555-310578_1755989598142_1791044299_1124802_938453_n.jpg  

KHS xct 555-310739_1755990238158_1791044299_1124806_5808619_n.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast