Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: KHS xct 555

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Mark,
    I'm 5' 7.5"..155lbs... , I go with small a frames cause its easier to play around, jumps, drop, etc.. or to put it simpler, agile, nimble.. and i like this bike because of the very low standover.. and equipped it with the parts for a bit of abuse.. planning to get a dh frame also in small.. (although i can ride a medium) and some manuals/i-net/bikeshops/friends say that my height is for medium, id prefer going one size smaller..and for me fits me well.. it depends on personal preference..

If you want a play type bike I think you can also go with a small but I'm not sure.... you're knees might hit the handle bar in a sitting position..(maybe a longer stem?) cause a friend(5'10") tried my bike he's knees were on the bars... maybe you should try out your buddies medium and small bikes to get the feel.. but i think small will do specially if you prefer more time standing on your pedals.. its guess its more on your riding style and the trail/park you will often ride it...

But if your going lots of miles in a day(XCs/ long trails) definitely a medium...
    well, thats my POV... thanks
    (i'm not allowed to reply in PMs yet)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I picked up a used 2008 KHS 555 XCT pretty cheap a while back ($600) with a ~6mo old 150mm sektor fork. I like the bike a lot, my other bike is a steel 29er HT. I went for a 5 hour ride the other day, and never really wished it had a lockout on the rear, maybe if i was racing on it, but its not light as built (31 lbs). It has a steeper geometry than modern 140mm bikes (69 degree HT)- it makes a great long legged cross country bike (I'm assuming the XCT stands for cross country/trail, a perfect description). It isn't slack enough to truly rip downhills, but it climbs way better than its slacker brothers. It doesn't feel like an all mountain bike, it rides more like a trail bike, fairly nimble and quick.

its a great all-around bike, more comparable to modern 120mm travel bikes in geometry, but can take bigger hits. its my all day, epic ride bike of choice. at some point, i might try something else- a pivot, turner, etc, but this bike isn't going anywhere anytime soon, except for some long, fun rides.

FWIW, i have a large frame, 90mm stem, 720mm bars, 150mm fork, XC rims. switching to some MTX33's, will see how that changes the attitude of the bike. I don't plan on dumping a bunch of money into this bike to lighten it up- its not my race bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xs650joe View Post
    Just bought my first KHS. A 2008 xct555. Totally stock for now. Only had a chance to ride it a few times but so far I'm loving it.

what size is ur bike?

NedwannaB

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Should still count as a new post!
    This frame is for sale in the classified. Great condition. Check it out if interested.

KHS XCT 555 frm/CC Z3 hdset - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Thanks in advance-JMac
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hi, I just my 2009 xct 535 frame and bought new parts to complete the bike but my question is I bought a fsa bb30 crankset for 50 bucks on eBay but I felt I was so stupid that I bought it not knowing if it will fit or not. Can you guys let me know what to do if it will not fit? I'm expecting the. Crankset to arrive next week though.

NedwannaB

Easy

Quote Originally Posted by vwsb74 View Post
    Hi, I just my 2009 xct 535 frame and bought new parts to complete the bike but my question is I bought a fsa bb30 crankset for 50 bucks on eBay but I felt I was so stupid that I bought it not knowing if it will fit or not. Can you guys let me know what to do if it will not fit? I'm expecting the. Crankset to arrive next week though.
    Put back on Ebay for $75.....

NedwannaB

Well?

Quote Originally Posted by vwsb74 View Post
    Did you get another crankset and get it built up yet?

NedwannaB

Ok....

This frame is for sale in the classified. Great condition. Check it out if interested.

KHS XCT 555 frm/CC Z3 hdset - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Thanks in advance-JMac
    Soon to be resurected in 650B mode.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KHS xct 555-khs_frm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Soon to be resurected in 650B mode.
    Let me know how the 650 conversion goes. No rear modification to fit the 650s?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by pulley View Post
    Let me know how the 650 conversion goes. No rear modification to fit the 650s?
    Oh it's been in 650B dress before. I have a Ventana El Bastardo 650 bike now tho. I was thinking about decommisioning an old worn out alum ht that's been 650'd and putting the XTC back together with those parts. But decided to get another ht frame and throw the wheels and components on it.

I'm going to be selling the KHS frame and Fox Float RLC 130 if you know of anyone that might be looking to build a nice trail bike setup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2