mtbr member

KHS XC204 Frame - Where to buy?

Hi guys
    I am looking to grab one of these frames. Some have posted that they paid $300 for them and I'd love to know where. Thanks
    Paul

mtbr member
    300 sounds like a used price

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    They were for sale @ 300 on wheelWorld.com, brand new. Only thing is, chances are they were built up prior for showroom bikes and disassembled. Mine came brand new, was not used, however there were some indicators that it had been built prior, such as very slight front derailleur impressions on the frame where it was mounted.

It does not seem there are any on the site anymore, however prior to me buying mine I checked the site frequently and it fluctuated a lot with what sizes they have in stock. Best bet is to call them directly (but they're in California to watch the time zone) and see what they got.

cfx
    mtbr member
    Bob's Bicycles is where I got my xc604 frame. He's got newer frames so a bit more pricey than what I paid for my 08.

http://bobs-bicycles.com/product-lis...ll-terrain-67/

C..
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is finite .. the population keeps growing ..

mtbr member
    How is the XCT 535? $299 at Wheel World.... Although it says they will not do an online order for it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom
    How is the XCT 535? $299 at Wheel World.... Although it says they will not do an online order for it...
    That's an amazing price but as previously mentioned it is from a complete bike and disassembled. KHS only sells frames of their highest end model in that particular line(i.e. xc 604, xct 555) Call them they will let you purchase it and ship it. It says that because KHS doesn't allow online sales

mtbr member
    Is the 535 the same frame as the 555?

mtbr member
    I just called WW, they would not sell me an XCT535 over the phone. Odd, Bob's could sell them via the web.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese
    I just called WW, they would not sell me an XCT535 over the phone. Odd, Bob's could sell them via the web.
    Anyone can sell them over the web but they are not allowed too by KHS dealer rules. WW is going by the rules and wants to keep the KHS dealer status, Bob's is either not aware of the rule or doesn't care about it.

mtbr member
    Is the 535 the same frame as the 555?
    Yes the frames are exactly the same but the Shock (which is included in the frame) is different. Also make sure to find out if your getting the shock.

mtbr member
    I was responding to post above who said to call and they will sell it. And by the way, I spoke to a senior person at Bob's. They negotiated with KHS as they are not the current model. so they can sell via the web.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I was responding to post above who said to call and they will sell it. And by the way, I spoke to a senior person at Bob's. They negotiated with KHS as they are not the current model. so they can sell via the web.
    This confuses me. Not the current model? Current as in 2010/2011? That KHS is an 08...

mtbr member
    I just called also.. No go.. BUT -- I found out my best friend lives 10 minutes from the shop! lol.... So if I want it, I can do it. They just need a person to pay, they will ship..

BUT---

Im not sure if I want the XCT 535 or the XC204 at bobs (free ship and 10% coupon).

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    I just called also.. No go.. BUT -- I found out my best friend lives 10 minutes from the shop! lol.... So if I want it, I can do it. They just need a person to pay, they will ship..

BUT---

Im not sure if I want the XCT 535 or the XC204 at bobs (free ship and 10% coupon).

What do you guys think?
    same price? XCT 535

mtbr member
    If you want to find out if they are BSing you call KHS and ask

mtbr member
    What size are you getting ?

mtbr member
    I am almost 5'10 so I might jump on the medium. I have a 18' hardtrail right now that is a good size but I think it might be a hair too big.

one less car

BUT---

What do you guys think?
    go with the 535, 5.5in. it has a bit more travel than the 204, 4.2, and just as easily upgradable
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am almost 5'10 so I might jump on the medium. I have a 18' hardtrail right now that is a good size but I think it might be a hair too big.
    I thought the same thing, however I'm a bit taller @ 5'11". I got the medium XC 204 only to find out the "medium" of KHS was an inch and a half smaller than my "medium" hardtail, so it was quite a jump. Long story short, I ended up swapping it for the large.

I'm pretty sure offhand the KHS 204 measures 17" frame with the medium. If you want to be sure, I'd call them and have them measure each one to be positive, but it also depends if you prefer a frame to be slightly smaller or slightly larger. I prefer the latter, however you and me might be very different people as well.

Just wanted to give my 2 cents on the subject. For what it's worth, if I were looking at two frames by the same manufacturer @ same price with good track records and one had an inch more travel, I'd go with that one. The 535 was not an option for me when I got my XC 204, and besides at the time I had JUST bought a brand new fork that matched with XC 204 perfectly so all angles lined up towards me getting that.

Good luck with whatever you buy. And as always when you get it, pics are required.

mtbr member
    Hey
    I just bought it. Wheel world changed and let me buy it online.
    My old frame was a 18' and I did find it a inch too big, so the 17' will fit me perfect (also it was the only option lol since they didn't have a large).

Oh almost forgot, I got the XTC535... I am psyched

I think I made the right choice. It's going to be awhile before this build is done, but I will be riding it after ski season. Thanks for the advice and opinions.
    Paul

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey
    I just bought it. Wheel world changed and let me buy it online.
    My old frame was a 18' and I did find it a inch too big, so the 17' will fit me perfect (also it was the only option lol since they didn't have a large).

Oh almost forgot, I got the XTC535... I am psyched

I think I made the right choice. It's going to be awhile before this build is done, but I will be riding it after ski season. Thanks for the advice and opinions.
    Paul
    What else you got in mind for it, components wise, fork wise, etc? Glad to hear things worked out. Post some pictures during the build process!

mtbr member
    I know a couple things for sure:
    Mavic wheel set - From bicycle wheel warehouse. Not sure exactly which ones, but possibly the 717....
    SRAM9 components (build kit for $349)
    Hydro's, possibly Juciy 5's (I know a little older but from what I've read are solid). Price will dictate this.

Fork is the next major component. Stock these bikes came with a 120mm fork; should I buy the same? I was thinking Rock Shock U Turn...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I know a couple things for sure:
    Mavic wheel set - From bicycle wheel warehouse. Not sure exactly which ones, but possibly the 717....
    SRAM9 components (build kit for $349)
    Hydro's, possibly Juciy 5's (I know a little older but from what I've read are solid). Price will dictate this.

Fork is the next major component. Stock these bikes came with a 120mm fork; should I buy the same? I was thinking Rock Shock U Turn...
    More times than not, I see bikes coming from the factory with similar travel front/rear. Seeing as though that frame you got has 5.5" rear travel, you'd probably want to get a fork that has around that travel. For sake of understanding inches to mm, 5.5" = 140mm.

I think the RockShox Sektor is screaming your name... Available in coil, air, 20mm axle, 15mm axle, 9mm QR axle, travel available in 130mm, 140mm, 150mm (I assume by adding/removing spacers). That fork has a ton of customizable options. If it weren't for RockShox neutering the 2011 Tora's, the Sektor (new for 2011) would have been what I went after - but I bought prior to 2011 lineup coming out so I snagged a 2010 Tora. The last Tora with balls.

mtbr member
    Bought mine at Wheel World for $299 which was a new built up bike disassembled......08' model. Could not be happier with it! Great frame and the finish build I did is exactly what I wanted.

mtbr member
    I am looking to get a fork with 140mm travel, or possibly 130mm... I'd rather get a 2008-2010 model fork; I want to keep my cost at $1000 for the entire build. Used is an option.
    Last edited by Pauldotcom; 10-03-2010 at 07:12 PM.