Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    melman

KHS xc 204 bike build

The start of a beautiful thing. Have my KHS xc 204 frame on order and should arrive on 2/24/2010. Have all my parts picked out. Will post my progress. Frame size XL. Have also ordered the Rockshox Sid race dual air 100mm fork. Should arrive in a week or so. Was able to get a price match on this fork for 399.99 with the pushlock included. Realy helps to do your homework. Am realy looking forward to this build. Am currently riding a 2008 Diamondback Response Sport. Not very light. Upgraded fork from a spinner to a Rockshox Recon 351 with poplock(adjustable). Made a huge difference in the ride. Will be swapping some of the parts off of the Diamondback such as rems, tires (Kenda Karma), Ritchey comp seatpost, pure V saddle, Hayes mx4 brakes ect...

mtbr member
    I look forward to seeing progress on your bike build. As mentioned in my build thread, you need a low-clamp top pul front derailleur. Just a heads up, for the rear derailleur you probably want to go with a shimano shadow or sram derailleur. I am usin an older Deore, and have an issue with it hitting the lower pivot in rocky sections of trail. Perhaps a higher level derailleur with a stronger spring would work, but I plan on getting a shadow soon.

melman
    I figure that as long as I use similar parts that came with the bike fully assembled I should be ok. Have found specs on xc 204 from bikepedia. http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...C204&Type=bike I will not use all parts that came with this bike. Don't want to copy bike. Just want to build it properly. Trying to avoid any problems.

melman
    Have found many of these parts online for a very good price. I can show you where to purchase if you want. Found the Shimano Deore XT 772 SGS Shadow rear derailleur for $56.00. Have also found the Sram X.7 Trigger Shifter w/ X.7 Rear Derailleur COMBO 2009 that will also work for $84.98.

mtbr member
    I was originally going to go with SRAM shifters and derailleurs. I have X.7 on my hardtail and they have been great. I found some takeoff Deore shifters, derailleurs, and crankset on eBay for a very good price, so I went with them. I do like the Shimano front setup better than my Sram. Haven't decided which I prefer on the rear just yet. I would like to know where you found the XT 772 for $56.

melman
    Sorry, I jumped into that one too soon! Ended up being a company out of Denmark or something. Called Bikebuster. Wheelworld has one for 69.99 plus tax and shipping.
    Last edited by melman; 02-20-2010 at 06:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Welcome to the crowd. I look forward to seeing pics as well.

mtbr member
    I'm 31 right now and still have my Diamond Back Response Sport from about 1992 - 1993. It's not my main bike but I still pull it out and ride it sometimes - for some reason I can kick the trails @ss on that bike.

melman
    Tomarrow is the big day. Will be getting frame! Rockshox Sid dual air 100mm w/pushlock will be coming next. Getting pumped.

mtbr member
    Can't wait to see some pics!

melman
    Name:  KHS frame.JPG
Views: 1984
Size:  10.0 KB New frame arrival today. New Sid fork is on its way!

mtbr member
    Hey, no fair, you have a real workstand!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by melman
    Sorry, I jumped into that one too soon! Ended up being a company out of Denmark or something. Called Bikebuster. Wheelworld has one for 69.99 plus tax and shipping.
    FYI, Performance Bike has the M772 XT rear derailleur on for $69.99 as well (both long and mid cage). Right now they have 10% off, so they are $63. If you are a perfomance team member, you get another 10% back which brings the price to $56. Shipping is $10, but I had mine shipped to my local store for free (though I did have to pay sales tax).

melman
    Performance is a great store to shop! They do price match on most of their items. I'm going to see if they will price match on a lot of my parts to save me the shipping charges. Each time I shop there they ask me if I want to get the member card but I always refuse. Sounds like rite now would be a good time to purchase that card. Isn't it 25 bucks or something? They are always running some kind of saving specials.

How wide is your seat post. My seat post from my other bike seems too small. Its a 30.9. I think I need a 31.6. Can you confirm?

mtbr member
    How wide is your seat post. My seat post from my other bike seems too small. Its a 30.9. I think I need a 31.6. Can you confirm?
    Yes, you need a 31.6 seatpost.

melman
    My Sid fork came in last week. Will be getting my headset tomarrow. Still need to get my stem before I can get anything serious done.

mtbr member
    Sweet, how much does that SID weigh anyway?

melman
    Weighs 3.19lbs. I weigh round 260 so the less weight I have the better! Trying to keep bike round 25 lbs.

mtbr member
    Weighs 3.19lbs. I weigh round 260 so the less weight I have the better! Trying to keep bike round 25 lbs.
    Good goal, what crankset do you have in mind? Did you have a chance to weigh your frame/shock?

melman
    gonna go with the truvativ firex. Purchased my headset today. Need to return it and get a zero stack. The s3 I got will not fit. Bummer! Oh well.

melman
    Changed my mind on the crankset. Am now going with a Truvativ stylo team crankset. Also changed from the Sram x.7 derailleur to the Shimano shadow xt. This way both derailleurs, cassette and chain are all xt. Should have everything for the build within the next few weeks. There will be a lot of work to do. Performance didn't have the zero stack headset, so I'm going to swap the s3 headset for the front xt derailleur that I need. Haven't realy done anything yet but stare at the frame and fork for the last two weeks. Ready to get a move on it so I can get it out this spring. Very anxious to ride.

melman
    no progress so far
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    That SID sure looks nice! Are you going with XT shifters with your XT other parts?

melman
    No, just going with the Shimano LX rapidfire shifters. As long as the shifters are shimano 9 spd I should be ok

mtbr member
    Yeah, you'll be fine with the LX. I'm using plain 'ole Deore with my XT derailleur.

melman
    I figured they would. Just installed the front and rear xt derailleurs today. Also swapped out the 8 sprocket cassette with the 9 sprocket xt cassette on my rear wheel. Went ahead and put the back break assembly on too. Stripped off the parts that I'll be using from my old bike. Its starting to look very bare. Will be purchasing everything else monday. Should have the bike done in a little over a week.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    Looking good. Be aware that building becomes addictive. I'm getting ready to build myself a 29er!

melman
    won't be able to build another bike for awhile. Not unless I build one for my wife. Have spent more on this project than I usually spend on myself in a year. Have you heard about the 27.5 bike. Has the best of both worlds. Faster than a 26 and handles better than a 29er. Hasn't been out for long! There was an article in my mountain bike action magazine. Sounds like a sweet ride. KHS actually makes one called the sixfifty 606. Here is a link to the bike show with the KHS sixfifty 606. http://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike/kh...ow-booth-2009/ . May change from truvativ crankset to shimano. Still not sure. Am making final purchase tomarrow so I'll know by then.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here you go on the 27.5 (aka 650b)
    http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5/

melman
    Just playing the waiting game now. All parts ordered.

melman
    Name:  full shot.JPG
Views: 845
Size:  35.5 KB

KHS xc 204 bike build-fork.jpg

KHS xc 204 bike build-front.jpg

KHS xc 204 bike build-rear-derailleur.jpg

KHS xc 204 bike build-crank.jpg

KHS xc 204 bike build-headset.jpg

KHS xc 204 bike build-saddle.jpg

Name:  rear shok.JPG
Views: 821
Size:  30.4 KBfinally finished bike. Still have to adjust the derailleurs alittle. I think the cables have just stretched a little from riding it for the first time. I'm very happy with the way it rides. The geometry of this bike is much better than the last. Got an inch and a half of snow last night on top of the rain we've been getting. Just wating for some good weather to get it out on the trail. Here are the pics. XT derailleurs, cassette and chain. Rockshox sid fork. Shimano Deore rapid fire shifters. Easton stem and handlebar. Truvativ stylo crankset.

mtbr member
    I remember when mine was that clean, lol! It looks great, have you had a chance to get much riding in? I did notice you have a non-shadow XT rear derailleur. Do you have any problems with it contacting the lower pivot when the trail gets rocky? My Deore did, but the XT has a much stronger spring so it may not be an issue for you. What was your final weight? Love the fork, you got about a pound on my build right there!

melman
    its suppose to be a shadow. its the sgs deore xt shadow. haven't weighed it yet. will try to today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    its suppose to be a shadow. its the sgs deore xt shadow. haven't weighed it yet. will try to today.
    Sorry to tell you but that is not a shadow. This is the shadow :

This is yours:

mtbr member
    Guess the-one beat me to it, but since I snapped a pic, here is mine. Easiest way to tell between shadow and non-shadow is the cable comes in to the front of the derailleur, like Sram, and doesn't make the loop like the traditional Shimano's do.

I put my bike in the same gear as yours, and you can see the clearance difference between the derailleur and the pivot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KHS xc 204 bike build-shadow-front.jpg  

melman
    Good call! I haven't had it on the trail yet. The box that it came in was the RD-M772 SGS shadow box and the receipt even had the right number on it. They just put the wrong derailleur in the box. I probably wouldn't have noticed. I bet it wouldn't have worked properly on the trail. I just got off the phone and they said they would swap it out no problem. Performance! THANK YOU!!!!

mtbr member
    I guess the bad news is you have to make a trip back to the store. The good news is you can take your bike in and weigh it.

melman
    would have to take my bike to work with me if I took it to the bike shop. I live an hour from performance. May take it to my dads house to day and weigh it.

melman
    Got the derailleur switched out on Monday. Took it for a ride for the first time wednesday. Everything worked perfectly. Shifted very quietly with ease. Am very happy with everything. Was still muddy. Bike is covered. Cleaning it up and getting it ready for the next ride is part of the fun. Am going out again this weekend. Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Sounds like fun. We don't have much water/mud here, though I was pretty excited to ride across a small stream a fewe days ago!

Double XL! Double XL!
    I absolutely hate the rockshox BAR. I ride it. Have you thought about switching to a fox rp23 or something similar?

melman
    Have not had any trouble with the bar. Am planning on waiting for the bar to go bad before replacing. You like the rp23? How much do you weigh. Also, what kind of riding do you do. May consider the rp23 when the time comes.

Just got back from Florida. Was able to take the bike and hit some trails while there. The trail was 21 miles. Very flat. Very hot. Lots of sand. There was a stream though. Felt good to plow through it. There were some realy old orange trees. You could smell them about 30 yards away. Was definetely an experience. I'm use to rolling hills and lots of water. I feel like I need to travel more to ride some different terrain.

Have been riding at least once a week. Am going this thursday. Hope all has been well with all of you. Happy trails

mtbr member
    Good to hear your enjoying your bike, and good to see a KHS thread again!

Since we are on the subject, I replaced my bar 2.1 with a Monarch 4.2. I wasn't having any problems with my Bar, but I found a great deal on eBay for the monarch. I was pretty happy with the bar (the xc204 is my first FS bike). But I must say, the Monarch is so much nicer!

Goofing off?
    Here is my 08' XC204:
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D550/ry%3D400/

Lets see, I got the frame from Wheelworld.com for like $289 or something.
    Fork (Tora 302 85mm-130mm) from Pricepoint.com for $179
    FSA cranks and external bottom bracket from craigslist for $50.
    The rest came off my XC104.

I really like this build. It came with a RS Bar 2.1 that is garbage. I replaced that with a Swinger 3 Way which is nice. This is my do all only bike. I even raced a triathalon on it against the roadies. I locked out the fork and added some air to the rear.

This bike climbs really good and goes down nicely as well. I really like the geometry and low stand over height. I'm thinkin about putting some burlier wheels on it so I can do some DJ. We'll see.

Double XL! Double XL!
    Have not had any trouble with the bar. Am planning on waiting for the bar to go bad before replacing. You like the rp23? How much do you weigh. Also, what kind of riding do you do. May consider the rp23 when the time comes.

Just got back from Florida. Was able to take the bike and hit some trails while there. The trail was 21 miles. Very flat. Very hot. Lots of sand. There was a stream though. Felt good to plow through it. There were some realy old orange trees. You could smell them about 30 yards away. Was definetely an experience. I'm use to rolling hills and lots of water. I feel like I need to travel more to ride some different terrain.

Have been riding at least once a week. Am going this thursday. Hope all has been well with all of you. Happy trails
    I don't ride an rp23 but I have some serious considerations about buying one... Ever since I correctly changed the oil in mine it hasn't had the same flowiness and rebound... blah.

melman
    Well, I ended up having to change out my Rock Shox Sid Race fork with my old Rock Shox Recon 351. There is less room at the top of the tire and when I load all my weight for a jump or a creek crossing the tire catches. I can see the whole tire move to one side. This is due to putting my crappy rims from my old Diamondback on the KHS. The rims were one of the two things I didn't buy new. I let it go on for the whole year UNTIL... I did a flip over my bike(last night) and took the bike with me. I rolled tumbled and dove into a bunch of VERY SOLID roots. My knee hit the hardest rite on a root and swelled up instantly. Its still very swolen. That was the last straw for me. My Recon will give me a little more clearance for my tire. I never seemed to have this problem with the Recon on the old bike so I'm hoping this will solve the issue for now. Once I get some better rims(hopefully some Mavics) I'll put the Sid back on so I can loose the additional pound and a half.
    I'll post my results once I get couple good rides in.
    Happy trails to all, Mel

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm curious, what does your bike weigh now?

That sucks about the spill man!

Looking forward to your update! Nice build! I should have my 204 built up next week!

melman
    Had an awsome biking weekend. Rode 14 miles on saturday and 16 miles on sunday. Rode at momba in dayton. Pushing myself to the limit. It's nice to know I can get my 270 lb. body that far. The bike ran like a dream. Nice to know I can trust my bike. Switching my fork has been the best thing I've done to the khs. Anyone looking for a Rock Shox Sid Race Dual Air fork. I'm too heavy for it. I'll give you a good deal!

mtbr member
    Glad your enjoying the bike. I had a Tora 318 on mine, which is pretty much the same as the Recon 351 you have, just a bit heavier due to the steel stanchions. It was a really good fork. Now running a Reba Team and it is awesome! Congrats on your 30 mile weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It's interesting to see somebody else did the exact same thing as me, in terms of old bike vs new bike. It looks like you have a 2008 Diamondback Response Sport - am I right? That's what I had. I loaded the bike up with new parts and turned around and bought a new frame. My Diamondback will one day see the road again, but it'll just be a mediocre backup hardtail. Just last Thursday I built up my KHS and like you have had it on a few trails already. It's a great bike. Very happy with it and the way everything feels. It feels solid and robust, yet nimble and easy to maneuver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast