Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    melman

KHS xc 204 bike build

The start of a beautiful thing. Have my KHS xc 204 frame on order and should arrive on 2/24/2010. Have all my parts picked out. Will post my progress. Frame size XL. Have also ordered the Rockshox Sid race dual air 100mm fork. Should arrive in a week or so. Was able to get a price match on this fork for 399.99 with the pushlock included. Realy helps to do your homework. Am realy looking forward to this build. Am currently riding a 2008 Diamondback Response Sport. Not very light. Upgraded fork from a spinner to a Rockshox Recon 351 with poplock(adjustable). Made a huge difference in the ride. Will be swapping some of the parts off of the Diamondback such as rems, tires (Kenda Karma), Ritchey comp seatpost, pure V saddle, Hayes mx4 brakes ect...

mtbr member
    I look forward to seeing progress on your bike build. As mentioned in my build thread, you need a low-clamp top pul front derailleur. Just a heads up, for the rear derailleur you probably want to go with a shimano shadow or sram derailleur. I am usin an older Deore, and have an issue with it hitting the lower pivot in rocky sections of trail. Perhaps a higher level derailleur with a stronger spring would work, but I plan on getting a shadow soon.

melman
    I figure that as long as I use similar parts that came with the bike fully assembled I should be ok. Have found specs on xc 204 from bikepedia. http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...C204&Type=bike I will not use all parts that came with this bike. Don't want to copy bike. Just want to build it properly. Trying to avoid any problems.

melman
    Have found many of these parts online for a very good price. I can show you where to purchase if you want. Found the Shimano Deore XT 772 SGS Shadow rear derailleur for $56.00. Have also found the Sram X.7 Trigger Shifter w/ X.7 Rear Derailleur COMBO 2009 that will also work for $84.98.

mtbr member
    I was originally going to go with SRAM shifters and derailleurs. I have X.7 on my hardtail and they have been great. I found some takeoff Deore shifters, derailleurs, and crankset on eBay for a very good price, so I went with them. I do like the Shimano front setup better than my Sram. Haven't decided which I prefer on the rear just yet. I would like to know where you found the XT 772 for $56.

melman
    Sorry, I jumped into that one too soon! Ended up being a company out of Denmark or something. Called Bikebuster. Wheelworld has one for 69.99 plus tax and shipping.
    Last edited by melman; 02-20-2010 at 06:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Welcome to the crowd. I look forward to seeing pics as well.

mtbr member
    I'm 31 right now and still have my Diamond Back Response Sport from about 1992 - 1993. It's not my main bike but I still pull it out and ride it sometimes - for some reason I can kick the trails @ss on that bike.

melman
    Tomarrow is the big day. Will be getting frame! Rockshox Sid dual air 100mm w/pushlock will be coming next. Getting pumped.

mtbr member
    Can't wait to see some pics!

melman
    Name:  KHS frame.JPG
Views: 1462
Size:  10.0 KB New frame arrival today. New Sid fork is on its way!

mtbr member
    Hey, no fair, you have a real workstand!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by melman
    Sorry, I jumped into that one too soon! Ended up being a company out of Denmark or something. Called Bikebuster. Wheelworld has one for 69.99 plus tax and shipping.
    FYI, Performance Bike has the M772 XT rear derailleur on for $69.99 as well (both long and mid cage). Right now they have 10% off, so they are $63. If you are a perfomance team member, you get another 10% back which brings the price to $56. Shipping is $10, but I had mine shipped to my local store for free (though I did have to pay sales tax).

melman
    Performance is a great store to shop! They do price match on most of their items. I'm going to see if they will price match on a lot of my parts to save me the shipping charges. Each time I shop there they ask me if I want to get the member card but I always refuse. Sounds like rite now would be a good time to purchase that card. Isn't it 25 bucks or something? They are always running some kind of saving specials.

How wide is your seat post. My seat post from my other bike seems too small. Its a 30.9. I think I need a 31.6. Can you confirm?

mtbr member
    How wide is your seat post. My seat post from my other bike seems too small. Its a 30.9. I think I need a 31.6. Can you confirm?
    Yes, you need a 31.6 seatpost.

melman
    My Sid fork came in last week. Will be getting my headset tomarrow. Still need to get my stem before I can get anything serious done.

mtbr member
    Sweet, how much does that SID weigh anyway?

melman
    Weighs 3.19lbs. I weigh round 260 so the less weight I have the better! Trying to keep bike round 25 lbs.

mtbr member
    Weighs 3.19lbs. I weigh round 260 so the less weight I have the better! Trying to keep bike round 25 lbs.
    Good goal, what crankset do you have in mind? Did you have a chance to weigh your frame/shock?

melman
    gonna go with the truvativ firex. Purchased my headset today. Need to return it and get a zero stack. The s3 I got will not fit. Bummer! Oh well.

melman
    Changed my mind on the crankset. Am now going with a Truvativ stylo team crankset. Also changed from the Sram x.7 derailleur to the Shimano shadow xt. This way both derailleurs, cassette and chain are all xt. Should have everything for the build within the next few weeks. There will be a lot of work to do. Performance didn't have the zero stack headset, so I'm going to swap the s3 headset for the front xt derailleur that I need. Haven't realy done anything yet but stare at the frame and fork for the last two weeks. Ready to get a move on it so I can get it out this spring. Very anxious to ride.

melman
    no progress so far
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    That SID sure looks nice! Are you going with XT shifters with your XT other parts?

melman
    No, just going with the Shimano LX rapidfire shifters. As long as the shifters are shimano 9 spd I should be ok

mtbr member
    Yeah, you'll be fine with the LX. I'm using plain 'ole Deore with my XT derailleur.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast