mtbr member

KHS Solo One Soft tail replacement elastomers?

Can anyone tell me if they've had success and where to find a replacement elastomer for the soft tail suspension on the 2005 model.
    Other than the soft tail rattling like crazy, it's a great bike. I am assuming that the elastomer has just gotten worn out because it used to be smooth and now it clunks.
    Any advice?

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Same question here. I still own a KHS ST Team (2003) which I used from new and really in need to refresh the suspension elastomer.
    I doubt KHS still have them in stock, so any after market replacement or compatible part would be good as well. Cheers
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

The need for singlespeed
    I'm in the market for a KHS softail and contacted KHS directly about this very issue. They said their dealers can still order them. There are apparently two available with different hardness.

mtbr member
    May 2006

2005 KHS Comp ST

I called my LBS and they said no dice from KHS so I then called KHS direct and Vince is going to do some searching around for the Elastomers this coming week. I'll keep you all posted what I find out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KHS Solo One Soft tail replacement elastomers?-khscatpark.jpg  

Last edited by A10 Wingman; 01-15-2012 at 09:41 PM.

mtbr member
    KHS dealer site says they are out of stock.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Great No wonder Vince from KHS has not returned my query. I'll look at some shock and seat post elastomers and make something work.

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was reading this thread with interest since I picked up a ST Team frame off of ebay a couple of months ago. I haven't built it up yet so I have no idea if the elastomer is any good or if it's the right one for my weight but I'm kind of skittish now about building it at all if I can't get parts for it.

I did come across this post from RBR though: "Replacement elastomers can be got..... OffRoadTourer
    Jul 31, 2003 1:40 AM
    I should start by clarifying that my experience with KHS soft-tails is limited to the mountain bike version, my girlfriend owns one and I service it.

Firstly, there is provision for preload. You need to remove the rear wheel and tighten the plate with hex-key fitting at the base of the shock.

Secondly, I found replacement bumpers from an unlikely source. Most fork bumpers are too small for the soft-tail shock. But the replacement bumpers for the Cane Creek Thudbuster seatpost are almost identical in size. They come in five durometers and are readily available from Cane Creek.

Again, this is speaking from my experience with the MTB but the CX bike appears to have the same shock." http://archive.roadbikereview.com/01/0EFD4395.php

So maybe this would work? I don't know much about Thudbusters so it's possible they've been redesigned since this post and the elastomers have changed size. It might be worth a shot though.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey thanks!!! That's great information. My 2005 Comp ST could use a fresh elastomer. I will be checking out a Thud Buster elastomer real soon.

mtbr "member"
    If the older Thudbuster elastomers aren't available (I think CC changed their shape), then you can also use the U.S.E. elastomers. I used them in my KHS soft tail years ago when I couldn't get a "firm" from KHS. The ones that look like a stack of squashed gumballs. I think you can still get them on Amazon.

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Are these the ones you're talking about: U.S.E. Suspension Seatpost Elastomer Coil Spring Kit 036904006100

Do you use the spring as well, or just the elastomer?

mtbr "member"

not the springs

Quote Originally Posted by dcb View Post
    Are these the ones you're talking about: U.S.E. Suspension Seatpost Elastomer Coil Spring Kit 036904006100

Do you use the spring as well, or just the elastomer?

thats the kit I've used in the past. Don't use the metal springs since they don't compress enough and you have a severely hard end point (I tried....)

The elastomers need to be cut to length, but they fit just fine and seemed to work nicely. I miss my old KHS ST frame, it broke at the chainstay after a bad chain suck episode. No warrantee for that. But I just picked up a nice clean half aluminum/half cromo model (I think one of the last model year they made them). So I'm sure I'll be ordering the elastomers as well.