Thread: KHS head sets

Just Ride !

KHS head sets

seems as though my alite 3000 frame has a intergrated style head set desighn , came with multi piece not so sealed factory head set . But im lookin for a nice set of sealed .... Any takes on this.
    Every time i walk into the LBS and see the price tags on new bikes it makes me enjoy and appreciate my Ol' ride even more.

cfx
    mtbr member
    Running a Cane Creek ZS-3 on my 604. Nothing but good things to say about it.

C..
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is finite .. the population keeps growing ..

mtbr member
    I'm using this in my XCT, also integrated. Because it's a take-off of a new bike, you get a $60 FSA Orbit Z series for $15.00.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...eadset+Oe.aspx

Just Ride !
    just purchaced a set of ritchey zs head set at a good deal.
    Every time i walk into the LBS and see the price tags on new bikes it makes me enjoy and appreciate my Ol' ride even more.

mtbr member
    Ditto on the ZS-3 Cane Creek... Seems like a quality product and fit was perfect.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Bump...

can anyone help me out? found a KHS Alite 300 in the woods made it into street/dj bike. had Dart 2 forks with it. anyway I am having trouble identifying what headset to use. Oh and I think its a 2005 model as its 7005 aluminium and strongly resembles that year color and decals. I narrowed it down to, what I believe it takes, Zero Stack 44. I have called several local bike shops. they need me to bring bike in. I live in Bear Creek mountains of PA and only drive a scooter. quite near impossible for me to take the bike.

mtbr member
    Look at the bearing cups, are they outside of the head tube or internal? ZS44 generally has minimal cup showing, typically a lip where as the standard 1 1/8 have approx. a 1/2" of cup showing above the head tube. This is just a generalization based on what I have seen. If you can post a photo we may be able to tell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresab View Post
    Look at the bearing cups, are they outside of the head tube or internal? ZS44 generally has minimal cup showing, typically a lip where as the standard 1 1/8 have approx. a 1/2" of cup showing above the head tube. This is just a generalization based on what I have seen. If you can post a photo we may be able to tell.
    the bearing cups that came on it were showing outside of the headtube. it had no headset just frame with forks hanging by the derailleur and brake lines. I can try to get pictures up later tonight when I get home. But I did do some measurements this morning.
    top id tube= 44mm
    bottom id tube= 44mm
    top bore depth= 8mm
    bottom bore depth= 4mm
    this seems to me like ZS44/28.6|ZS44/30

Forks are rockshox Dirt 2

mtbr member
    Agree, 44mm is typically ZS . I did not understand that it had no headset and the cups were showing, but if there were cups pressed in, you will see some cup outside, but it's typically very thin. The bearing sit in the cups inside the head tube. On a standard 1 1/8, the bearings do not fit inside the frame hence the cups and bearings are external. Looking at the KHS site, the 300 looks to be ZS.