The need for singlespeed

How's your steel KHS hardtail ride?

I'm shopping around for a singlespeed frame and the 2006 KHS Solo One is on the list. Looks like it's the only year the Solo One was offered as a 26" hardtail.

I'm looking for a frame for 26" wheels, takes an 80mm fork, and has track ends and Vbrake studs. Also on the list are Soma 4one5, Jamis Exile, older Bianchis, Giant two2one, maybe the Redline Monocog although I understand even the Al ones were porkers.

Anyway, just wondering what your riding impressions of KHS's steel hardtails are, and if you could contrast them with other similar frames you've ridden.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I rode my 1993 KHS Montana Pro last week because my Cannondale was out of commission. It is a small frame and my C'dale is a medium, and the KHS has a rigid fork. It beat me up a little because of the lack of a front shock, but I am ready to through the C'dale in the garbage. I forgot how quick the KHS is. The steering was so precise, and the bike is over all just better. Of coure it cost more in 1993 than I paid for the 2011 Cannondale F5 last year. I know this is not the comparison you are looking for (Aluminum vs CroMo), but I found an '06 Solo One for sale, and I am all about it. I really want to know more about the Solo One. How much do they weigh?
    If my Montana Pro were not so old, I'd ride it all the time. It's just not as durable as it once was, and parts are harder to find.

The need for singlespeed
    Thanks for the input--are you looking at the one listed on the Detroit craigslist?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    yes. that's the bike. I bought it and just finished my second ride on it today. I'm loving it so far, I really love steel frames. they're light and strong and they do seem more compliant.

The need for singlespeed
    Lol, I was going to get just the frame from that guy. He was ready to part it out and ship it to me in MD but I hesitated, following up on some leads on other frames. Oh well, you snooze you lose. I was curious to ride a bike with such a low BB--according to the KHS site, 40mm BB drop. Should be able to rail some corners with that badboy.

Enjoy the bike--looks like it's practically new!

The perfessor
    ahh, man, my 29er is so sweet - if you're tall, you might decide to up-size........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How's your steel KHS hardtail ride?-dsc03697.jpg  

Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I still have my KHS Montana 1992, rigid frok with shimano lx 21 gears. The bike has soul, that I could not sell it. Now my 12 yrs old son wants it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    that is awesome! my 11 year old started riding my Montana this year. it's a small so he fits on it pretty good. next year it'll be a great fit

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My '94 Montana Comp is still a favorite of mine... downside was the 1" headtube was impossible to get a decent suspension fork a few yrs later. Still use it for fun sometimes and set it up witha baby trailer to pull my kid

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've got an alite 2000. It is a solid bike and I enjoy it. I've since moved to a full suspension. I just can't come to getting rid of it.