mtbr member
    Feb 2009

How tall are you/What size is your XC 204?

When I bought my hardtail, they only had 16" ones in stock, and I almost got one. I felt fine on it, but decided to travel to another location that said they had an 18" in stock. They did, and that's what I got. That was a medium.

I didn't think to check what size frames are small/med/large @ WheelWorld when I bought the frame, but I went for my first ride today and had a great time. I had the seat post adjusted properly and all was well.

I came home and on a hunch measured my medium frame, which came out to 17". I did a search on the forums and there were some users @ 6 ft who were asking what size frame they should get. Some users went as far to say 19" at a minimum. I'm 5'11.5" and I felt pretty good on the 17" KHS.

I went to the bike shop for some bolts and while I was there I stood over a few full suspension bikes there. There were some 21" ones that felt oddly comfortable while some 19" ones would make my jewels into pancakes. So I know each company can vary quite a bit, but I was just curious what your frame size is and how tall you are on your XC 104/204/604.

mtbr member
    6' with a large XC204.............

mtbr member
    6'1 L I believe 19 inch

cfx
    mtbr member
    6' with a large 604 ..

C..
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is finite .. the population keeps growing ..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    And just what I thought... Took the KHS for the first ride and while I loved it, I felt a little... small. It felt great on the road, but when I was manuvering through some single track I began to feel different about it... I have a medium frame, and I'm 5'11.5". Go me for assuming medium would work, since all of my other bikes I had were medium. Not so much the case here. :P

I called WheelWorld and talked to a friendly rep about exchanging my frame. The only catch is the frame has to be in perfect condition, as I expected. I looked over my frame when I disassembled it and it was in perfect shape, except for a few mud spots I carefully cleaned. :P

The only thing was there was some scuff marks from where the front derailleur mounted. I got too curious about it and called them back since I don't want to ship it out there and they're like lololol cannot exchange sorry. The same rep told me as long as the scuffs aren't anything major like dents, dings, scratches to the metal, etc, it's not a big deal. When I explained to him it was from where the front derailleur was mounted, he said that shouldn't be an issue since a new front derailleur would cover it anyway. He also mentioned that a lot of the frames they sell were from fully built bikes they disassembled, and made the comment it very well may have had some marks in that location from when it (could have been) in the store fully built anyways.

Anyway, it's good timing because this week I can't ride due to a heavy work schedule and next week is the beach for a week. I'll be a happy Large XC 204 frame owner when I get back from the beach.

Also - they even offered to pay for half of my shipping on the return frame, which I thought was commendable since WheelWorld did *nothing* wrong and it was completely me wanting to change the frame to a different size. Very commendable, and I'll certainly be ordering from them in the future.

I'd also like to note that despite the above, I had a fantastic time on the trail with that bike today. I definitely gave the rear suspension a workout, and it definitely turned me into a believer. I love my hardtail, but there's a new sheriff in town.

mtbr member
    I too finally got the new build out yesterday on some nice single track with roots and rocks and all that good stuff. I found myself staying seated more due to the rear suspension. The only thing I did find at times when really mashing the pedals were slight pedal bob. That is where when I wear the currect shock out I will replace with a shock that has lockout.

But other than that the bike got dirty and even some horse poop on it from the trails! Yikes, and my dogs were curious to that smell as well when I got home.

The bike with my mix of components did very well though. Since this was the first ride there may be some fine tuning left to be done. I did have to adjust the angle of the brakes and shifters. I had them a tad too high of an angle.

Kudos to WW for taking back your frame. Now get that thing in and built up so you can go and trash it and not worry about scratches.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hahaha yeah, I hear that. WheelWorld has a 15 day return policy, and I was well within that range so exchanges and stuff are within their policy. It's just cool they helped out with return shipping a little bit. He flat out said you're responsible and I said oh yeah I expected to be since it's not your mistake. Then he fired out, tell ya what, I'll go halfway on return shipping.

It's funny because when I was riding, I wasn't concerned about the bike at all. I was just mashing through everything and almost had a couple nasty spills, but always recovered in time. Then halfway through I began to get ehhhhhhhh but I kept telling myself, naw dude you have a medium that's what you need. Came home, measured it, WOW that's a small medium... etc. Then one thing lead to another from there.

mtbr member
    5'10" on a medium here and with stem/seatpost/etc, it fits me perfectly.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

mtbr member
    5'11" and I ride a Large, though I do prefer longer toptubes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm 6'4" and ride an XL. Perfect fit until you are riding a cross-cutting trail on a steep slope and try to put your downhill foot down, The twig and berries were not amused.

cfx
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Hahaha yeah, I hear that. WheelWorld has a 15 day return policy, and I was well within that range so exchanges and stuff are within their policy. It's just cool they helped out with return shipping a little bit. He flat out said you're responsible and I said oh yeah I expected to be since it's not your mistake. Then he fired out, tell ya what, I'll go halfway on return shipping.

It's funny because when I was riding, I wasn't concerned about the bike at all. I was just mashing through everything and almost had a couple nasty spills, but always recovered in time. Then halfway through I began to get ehhhhhhhh but I kept telling myself, naw dude you have a medium that's what you need. Came home, measured it, WOW that's a small medium... etc. Then one thing lead to another from there.
    Very cool of Wheelworld indeed! I think you'll enjoy the large frame alot more. I ride a large in most frames and tried a medium with my Giant full susser .. just a no go. I stretched it out with a setback seatpost and a longer stem, but it just never felt right. I could flick it around like mad, but on long rides it just cramped me. Sold it and moved to my current KHS!

Quote Originally Posted by 911white1
    I'm 6'4" and ride an XL. Perfect fit until you are riding a cross-cutting trail on a steep slope and try to put your downhill foot down, The twig and berries were not amused.
    LMAO! I've not heard anyone use that expression except myself in quite a while! I feel for ya .. been there and done that!
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is finite .. the population keeps growing ..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm beginning to get a nervous feeling for some reason. I shipped back the frame today, they're supposed to have it by Friday. I just have the feeling that they could be super anal and refuse to swap it due to the marks the front derailleur made when it was mounted. It's a crappy situation because A - I couldn't know the frame would be too small until I built the bike to try it out and B - if they refuse to take it, that's 52 dollars I spent to get it shipped to me in the first place, then 60 dollars to ship it back to them, then another 50-60 dollars to get the same denied frame back to me... At which point I will probably just buy a large frame @ 350 shipped and hope/pray I can sell the medium for 300 bucks on Craigslist to get some of my money back.

I just hope they're not super anal about it. Granted there are marks all the way around the tube in that area, but a front derailleur clamp should cover it up. It was unavoidable. All of my bikes have these same marks simply from the derailleur being mounted. Even if they're cool about it, it'll still be an expensive lesson learned on my part. But DAMN it'll be quite a few dollars if they don't take it back...

I hope they're cool about it. I miss the KHS already.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    I'm beginning to get a nervous feeling for some reason. I shipped back the frame today, they're supposed to have it by Friday. I just have the feeling that they could be super anal and refuse to swap it due to the marks the front derailleur made when it was mounted. It's a crappy situation because A - I couldn't know the frame would be too small until I built the bike to try it out and B - if they refuse to take it, that's 52 dollars I spent to get it shipped to me in the first place, then 60 dollars to ship it back to them, then another 50-60 dollars to get the same denied frame back to me... At which point I will probably just buy a large frame @ 350 shipped and hope/pray I can sell the medium for 300 bucks on Craigslist to get some of my money back.

I just hope they're not super anal about it. Granted there are marks all the way around the tube in that area, but a front derailleur clamp should cover it up. It was unavoidable. All of my bikes have these same marks simply from the derailleur being mounted. Even if they're cool about it, it'll still be an expensive lesson learned on my part. But DAMN it'll be quite a few dollars if they don't take it back...

I hope they're cool about it. I miss the KHS already.
    So it is KHS's fault somehow that you ordered a frame, built the whole bike up, and rode it, and only then realized that it was too small for you? You also posted: " I'd also like to note that despite the above, I had a fantastic time on the trail with that bike today. I definitely gave the rear suspension a workout" Then you want them to take it back, give you another new frame , and sell that frame that YOU scratched and used to someone else as a new frame or take a loss on it? AND you are whining about the f'ing shipping?

Maybe you should buy your bikes/frames at a LBS. Man up and quit whining/stressing about this. You brought this all on yourself. This is not KHS's problem. If they help you... it is out of the good nature of the company. BTW, how old are you? Take responsbility for your decisions.

You also put them on the spot for your bad decisions by making a thread about it on the largest MTB forum and continue to perpetuate it. How is this helping the KHS brand? It's not like they sold you a defective product.
    Last edited by 911white1; 08-16-2010 at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 911white1
    So it is KHS's fault somehow that you ordered a frame, built the whole bike up, and rode it, and only then realized that it was too small for you? You also posted: " I'd also like to note that despite the above, I had a fantastic time on the trail with that bike today. I definitely gave the rear suspension a workout" Then you want them to take it back, give you another new frame , and sell that frame that YOU scratched and used to someone else as a new frame or take a loss on it? AND you are whining about the f'ing shipping?

Maybe you should buy your bikes/frames at a LBS. Man up and quit whining/stressing about this. You brought this all on yourself. This is not KHS's problem. If they help you... it is out of the good nature of the company. BTW, how old are you? Take responsbility for your decisions.

You also put them on the spot for your bad decisions by making a thread about it on the largest MTB forum and continue to perpetuate it. How is this helping the KHS brand? It's not like they sold you a defective product.
    If you would have read my other posts clearly and carefully, you would have noticed I did indeed accept responsibility for the fact that this was my mistake. I'm not blaming WheelWorld for this at all. I'm simply stating that it sucks having to deal with an issue like this with a company that is in California. It definitely makes me think twice about ordering something of this size from that far away again.

And yes. I did build the bike. I did ride it. I did take it on the trail. And guess what? That frame is absolutely spotless with the exception of the marks by the front derailleur. And if you must know, when I called them the rep told me my frame was more than likely built on their showroom floor and indicated there were more than likely a few marks there prior that I didn't notice. This was something that was done by the act of bolting on the derailleur and not by trail riding. That's what kind of sucks about this, is it's not like I wiped out and it's like, ahh I'll just deal with it now. It's the fact that I put a legit part on the bike and... that's it. There was no epic wipeout. There was no, oops I hit a tree. Just what I described above.

The bottom bracket shell thing did kind of irritate me, because I called them prior to getting the frame and they said it's faced and ready to go. That's one of the reasons that pushed me to get it because I did not have a facing tool and the bike shops in the area were charging quite a bit to get it done. When I called back about returning the frame I also asked them why it wasn't faced. They said all of their frames are faced. I was like, why wasn't mine? Then the conversation went from there. It wasn't a big deal that it wasn't faced, as I took it upon myself to get it done. But the fact is, it wasn't done, and I was assured it was done prior to me ordering. Therefore, the product was not as described. It's not a big deal, otherwise I would have called them right away about it. But guess what? I took it upon myself to spend the money and do it without turning it into a big fiasco.

It's just if they throw a big stink about a scratch about a part I mounted on the bike that would be re-covered by another front derailleur being mounted (a part that was more than likely already mounted on the bike before when it was in their shop) yet I didn't make a big deal about it not meeting the full description when I received it, it'll certainly make me think twice about ordering again...

So please, read through my posts here. This was not WheelWorld's fault, as I've stated many times. It was not KHS's fault, as I've stated many times. It's just a downer to have to deal with shipping prices of this magnitude when I had no money to begin with after already buying the product. Again, so it's understood, not KHS's problem. Not WheelWorld's problem. It's just a blah situation in general.

And about the LBS comment - I would have loved to support my LBS. But nobody in the area had this particular bike/frame available. The nearest one was a few hours away. Believe me, I did what homework I could. I took a chance, made a goof, and this is what happened. I just hope it works out.

Worst case scenario I will probably just buy another large frame outright and end up selling the other one on Craigslist. There seems to be enough builders in my area on Craigslist that somebody would bite.

The bottom line is, even if you've ridden 100 medium frames in your day and they've all fit you like a glove, that 101th medium you're looking at may be radically different than the standard medium you're used to.