mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Fox Rear Shock Spacer Parts # Inside

I just ordered and received my spacers from Fox to replace the Rock Shox Bar with a Fox RP23 for my xc-204 (they are the same for other models).

Top spacers: Part # 803-03-090 : $15.00
    8mm, mounting width 1.960 ref. 213-46-015A

Bottom spacers: Part # 803-03-030 : $15.00
    8mm, mounting width 0.860 ref. 213-29-000-D

The top spacers are three piece with a full lenghth steel tube and aluminum spacers with rubber washers on each end.The washers fit in a recessed area of the aluminum spacer next to the shock so the spacer doesn't scratch your shock.

I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Good info in case I ever switch my Ario out. Thanks for posting it.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

NedwannaB

Ditto here too

Quote Originally Posted by 911white1
    I just ordered and received my spacers from Fox to replace the Rock Shox Bar with a Fox RP23 for my xc-204 (they are the same for other models).

Top spacers: Part # 803-03-090 : $15.00
    8mm, mounting width 1.960 ref. 213-46-015A

Bottom spacers: Part # 803-03-030 : $15.00
    8mm, mounting width 0.860 ref. 213-29-000-D

The top spacers are three piece with a full lenghth steel tube and aluminum spacers with rubber washers on each end.The washers fit in a recessed area of the aluminum spacer next to the shock so the spacer doesn't scratch your shock.

I hope this helps.
    Thx. I may feel the need to replace the Monarch 2.1 on my 555 at some point in time.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The rp23 really turns that bike around. Makes it as good as any other FSR bike IMO. My experience with Fox was a bit different as I didn't get any rubber washers that I can remember. I just pressed the spacers into the DU bushings and mounted the shock.

Are you referring to the DU bushings that go into the shock eyes?

mtbr member
    In the case of the Monarch, you can use the Rock Shox spacers, they are both 1/2". However, as the OP stated, you need spacers if you have a Bar shock. Unless you upgrade to a Manitou shock (or some X-Fusion models are 12mm as well).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    OK. I did replace a Manitou so maybe that was the reason for the different parts?

mtbr member
    MTNBIKER4LIFE has a good listing of the hardware sizes. Here is a listing from his bushing tool add:

--12mm DU Bushing which Fit Answer Manitou, Rock Shox models (Bar, Ario, MC3, MC3R, and Pearl), and X-Fusion (Vector, O2, and Glyde) Shocks

.--1/2 inch DU Bushing which Fit Fox, Cane Creek, Romic, Marzocchi Roco, 5th Element Coil, Rock Shox (Monarch and Vivid), and X-Fusion H3 Shocks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    The rp23 really turns that bike around. Makes it as good as any other FSR bike IMO. My experience with Fox was a bit different as I didn't get any rubber washers that I can remember. I just pressed the spacers into the DU bushings and mounted the shock.

Are you referring to the DU bushings that go into the shock eyes?
    There were two rubber O rings that went between the spacers and the shock body. I doubt they did anything at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I can't wait to upgrade my Bar to a Monarch or RP23. The bar is holding up okay for now though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jedc
    I can't wait to upgrade my Bar to a Monarch or RP23. The bar is holding up okay for now though.
    it makes a world of difference

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I bought a rp23. I don't think the Propedal is anything fantastic. I would get an older rp shock and take the money saved and have it PUSHED or something else important.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 911white1
    I bought a rp23. I don't think the Propedal is anything fantastic. I would get an older rp shock and take the money saved and have it PUSHED or something else important.
    I disagree with you. I had a high compression, med rebound rp23 and thought it was awesome. maybe you had the wrong tune on the one you bought? Push makes a big difference but if you want their pro tune, they are basically setting your compression based on bike and weight in additiona to a few other tricks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    I disagree with you. I had a high compression, med rebound rp23 and thought it was awesome. maybe you had the wrong tune on the one you bought? Push makes a big difference but if you want their pro tune, they are basically setting your compression based on bike and weight in additiona to a few other tricks.
    You were fortunate to have it work for you. I got the mid/mid tune. I respect your opinion. I would just rather have an older RP PUSHED for my personal settings than a new RP23 from off of the self. To each his own. I am now having to send a new RP23 in to get it PUSHED.

Cheers.

cfx
    mtbr member
    I bought the RP23 off of mnigro to put on my XC 604 build and replace the stock Ario 2.1 Have to say it's made a huge difference in the bikes manners in the rough stuff!

Not that it rode bad before, but the added plushness and reduced pedal bob (which wasn't bad before unless hammered on) makes the bike ride so much better. The ProPedal on the RP23 is nice addition to the bike, at least in my case. Being able to adjust it on the fly according to riding conditions really makes the bike shine.

I'll have to post up some pics of the build soon. Really like the bike!

C..

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

555 shock specs

Does anyone have the shock dimensions for the 555? I don't have one on hand to measure, and emails to KHS have returned nothing.

Also, I've seen that bike raced with a Fox coilover... anyone know if they used the stock shock dimensions on that one?

Lastly... has anyone seen the shock leverage ratio curve for the 555?

May be asking a lot...

mtbr member
    The shock is a 190mm by 50mm (7.5X2.0). If you have a 555, it most likely has an RS Monarch. If so, you can use the same hardware spacers for a Fox. Leverage is around 2.8 for the 2008/9? The 2010 has 127mm / 5 inches travel instead of 5.5 (accoring to the web and I confirmed with support) so that is 2.5 + or -.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Holy Moly Thank You.

Have you by chance experimented with a larger air can to diminish ramp up?

mtbr member
    Sorry, but no. I actually like the LV air can for the ramp up. They are great bikes the XCT5X5 series. I built my wife a 555. She loves it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

555 changes

Thanks again. Do you know why they changed the shock rate? Do the new style mounts relocate the shock? Were there any other changes to the 555 for 2010?

mtbr member
    I believe they do. The rate changes since the travel was reduced. My 08 555 has a totaly different linkage than the 09 525 I bought. The tech guy claimed the 09's started the change to 5.0. The orginal 09 website photo 5x5 looked more like the 08 linkage/shock mount, but mine looks more like the 10 linkage. I doubt .5 would make a difference. My guess is since the Velvet is 6.0, why have a 5.5?