Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656

    Crap Broken Frame

    Well the same day my new shock came for my XC704r this happened. So now I have a planned replacement which is going to be a one of a kind bike. I will keep everyone posted on the new bike when it is done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crap Broken Frame-photo0007.jpg  

    Last edited by Dremer03; 09-26-2010 at 01:30 PM.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTR2ebike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,881
    what year is your bike KHS has a 5 year frame warranty

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    59
    sorry dude . i guess my post about khs frame breaking that wasnt answered was correct. And 5 year frame warranty. dam. trek and redline have lifetime warranties.
    I think more should know of khs and there bad products.

    glad i bought a redline !!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    7 year old bike and I was the second owner of the frame.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,298
    Yeah , the 704's are plagued with breaks just like that one .

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by jesterz99
    sorry dude . i guess my post about khs frame breaking that wasnt answered was correct. And 5 year frame warranty. dam. trek and redline have lifetime warranties.
    I think more should know of khs and there bad products.

    glad i bought a redline !!
    Jesterz,
    5 years is a very standard warranty. Trek does have a life time on some of their bikes although they only do 3 years on swing arms. I understand this frame broke on the seat tube. KHS makes a super solid product I for one am extremely happy with my Velvet and my Solo one SE.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,491
    Dremer03: If you decide to trash that frame, mind if I have the rockers for the price of shipping? PM if you're interested.

  8. #8
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,707
    Well if you're disapointed on a 5 year warranty, don't know what you'd think then about all the 2 year warranties 5 years these days is actually very good
    Quote Originally Posted by jesterz99
    sorry dude . i guess my post about khs frame breaking that wasnt answered was correct. And 5 year frame warranty. dam. trek and redline have lifetime warranties.
    I think more should know of khs and there bad products.

    glad i bought a redline !!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Well if you're disapointed on a 5 year warranty, don't know what you'd think then about all the 2 year warranties 5 years these days is actually very good

    i would never buy i bike with a 2 year warranty. And if u check the trek or redline forums u will see people get warranties after 5 years. I liked the khs bikes also almost bought one before i googled them and seen how many people had frame problems.

    and check redline and trek websites they have lifetime warranties on most bikes!!!

  10. #10
    one less car
    Reputation: B@dKarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    491
    glad mine didn't crack there, and good thing that when it did, I was still well inside the warranty period. got sent what amounts to an upgrade, "06 XC104 to a "09 XC604.

    Dremer03, there's a fair chance you'll be "upgraded" as well
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

  11. #11
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,997
    Quote Originally Posted by B@dKarma
    Dremer03, there's a fair chance you'll be "upgraded" as well


    Dremer bought that frame used , there is not a warranty for second owners unfortunately .

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Dremer bought that frame used , there is not a warranty for second owners unfortunately .
    you are correct sir. I also have a new bike lined up already, so I am not worried about it.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by jesterz99
    i would never buy i bike with a 2 year warranty. And if u check the trek or redline forums u will see people get warranties after 5 years. I liked the khs bikes also almost bought one before i googled them and seen how many people had frame problems.

    and check redline and trek websites they have lifetime warranties on most bikes!!!
    I know the XC 204 and 704 are two different things, but I googled a TON before buying my KHS 204 frame because someone told me that KHS was plagued with frame problems.

    I found one person who had a frame break, and it was replaced under warranty. The overwelming masses of KHS owners were extremely happy with their frames.

    I'm also pretty sure the one person who told me about the KHS frame breaks was confused between KHS and Iron Horse. The Iron Horse MKIII is *extremely* similar in design except for the rear triangle. Guess what kept breaking on the Iron Horse? The rear triangle. :P

    To the OP - what exactly were you doing when it snapped? That's a helluva break...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dremer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    To the OP - what exactly were you doing when it snapped? That's a helluva break...
    I was pedaling out of some ruts when it snapped. thought it was the chain at first. For the whole ride the bike was creaking, but I figured my seat post just needed grease or something.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

  15. #15
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,707
    I'm going to take a rough stab in the dark and guess that frames uses a 31.6 post and a 34.9 clamp Several other manufacturers have gone this route and had similar issues because of too thin tubing for the skill of the welders fabricating them.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott
    Yeah , the 704's are plagued with breaks just like that one .
    Were the 704's the only ones plagued with this issue? I find it odd with all of the Googling I did I found literally nobody with continual issues with anything KHS related...

  17. #17
    one less car
    Reputation: B@dKarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Were the 704's the only ones plagued with this issue? I find it odd with all of the Googling I did I found literally nobody with continual issues with anything KHS related...
    me thinks there's a reason for that. KHS designs better bike than ppl give them credit for
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by jesterz99
    glad i bought a redline !!
    Did you get it at Target or Wal Mart?

  19. #19
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Were the 704's the only ones plagued with this issue? I find it odd with all of the Googling I did I found literally nobody with continual issues with anything KHS related...



    Yes , the 704's are the only ones . They are the "race" edition , substantially lighter , therefore more susceptible to failure . Overall you wont find many failures in anything else KHS .

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott
    Yes , the 704's are the only ones . They are the "race" edition , substantially lighter , therefore more susceptible to failure . Overall you wont find many failures in anything else KHS .
    Hm, good to know. Are 704's still made? I hear the 104, 204, 604, etc...

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BurnNotice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7
    Did you get it at Target or Wal Mart?

    LMAO!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •