mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Cracked the frame on my XC-604

So I had finished riding a local trail and as I was loading up the bike when I noticed this . I really loved that bike too.

Cracked the frame on my XC-604-khs-cracked.jpg

I just dropped it off at a local dealer and they are going to contact KHS.

Anyone have experience with their warranty process? Will they have any 26" frames to replace with?

I will update this post as things progress. And here she is in her former glory.

Cracked the frame on my XC-604-khs-bike.jpg

one less car
    what yr is it? would all depend on if the warranty expired. had a '06 104 that cracked at the seat/top tube weld; went thru LBS who sent pix and it was warrantied. KHS sent back a '09 604, until it outright broke for which the sent a crash replacement '09 XCT555, a sidways upgrade, again based on pix. I'm sure they'll fix ya up with SOMEthing. it's likely too that there're SOME 26's still lying around. sux that it happened, tho but better than at the WORST possible moment. hate to say it, cuz KHS has pretty decent bikes, but there won't be another one

604:
    sad, and yet not so sad
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hey BK - The bike is a 2012, but I purchased new in 2014 from an online retailer.

I took my bike to the local KHS dealer and he called be back the next day saying KHS was shipping a new frame. I don't know exactly what frame, but will update once I get my bike back. I am hoping sometime this week ... I can't wait.

one less car
    yeah, I'm rather curios as to what's being sent. being a '12, there's a SLIGHT chance it'll be an upgrade, assuming there're no '12's left or it's a known fault with that frame design. then again, it MIGHT be the same frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I got my bike back today. They hooked me up with an XC 104 frame, not sure what year but it is definitely newer and a better frame design. The bike build was even comp'ed so I didn't have to pay anything.

Thumbs up to KHS!

Cracked the frame on my XC-604-khs-new.jpg

one less car
    huh, wasn't expecting THAT, a 604 to 104. it's a bit of a downgrade. wonder why the did that. both frames LOOK to be the same yr, or only 1 yr apart. still, KHS got ya back on the trails in about a week

mtbr member
    All of the XC (an many other models) use the same frame within a line with the exception of Carbon models, they differ in component spec. I would not worry about whether its a 104 vs. 604. I have XCT 525, 535, and they 555, the shock was different, but the frames identical except for color and model. It does look to be a year newer, there are differences in the frame from what I can tell in the pictures.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The frame is newer, The tubing is shaped differently and there is no linkage bracket welded where it cracked on my old frame. It's hard to tell from this pic. Definitely an improved design. I am satisfied with it.