Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bought my first KHS...

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Mugochap 
#1 ·
I bought a leftover '09 XC204 from Bob's Cycles in Boise today. It's my first KHS and really my first bike since I got back in mountain biking a month ago or so. My last real mountain bike was a Fisher hardtail with Mach 5 front fork and XT components.

I'm coming off a 10 year hiatus where I was riding/racing supersport motorcycles, so I'm trying to get used to this whole pedaling thing again. :D

Anyways, I unfortunately I won't be able to ride it until the 29th or so as the wife and I are heading to AZ for Thanksgiving but I'm very excited to have joined the KHS crew and the full suspension crew!

#5 ·
I'll post a pic as soon as I get it, which should be Tuesday the 30th. Dang these holidays! :D

aurorarob, funny thing is that I'm also 6'3 and purchased an XL. I'm coming off a 1997 Fisher Tassajara that I've owned since new... funny coincidences.

#6 ·
How much does the 604 weigh? I was suprised to see one that was black and grey in my LBS today. I might consider it for a second bike to ride around town and XC desert. Looks like it would make a decent trail bike, although I don't know if it would hold up to desert trail riding. Not sure what year bike it was, it was new though. I'm looking for a bike that I won't worry about losing as much as my main bike.

#7 ·
I haven't put mine on a scale yet, but it is fairly heavy.

Now that I have about 100 miles or so on it, I can say that its a very fun bike and it handles quite well. Took a while to get the rear shock dialed but, but its good to go now.

#9 ·
hillwilly said:
Thanks for the reply, the bike I saw at my LBS was an XC 204, and it was a 2010. I was pretty impressed how nice a bike it was for less than $1000. The welds and frame looked really good, I hope you enjoy your new bike!
The build quality is great, but the components are just average. I plan on upgrading the shifters/derailleurs and both front/rear shocks as they eventually reach the point of failure.

If you're ok with buying an 09 model (that's what mine is) then I'd recommend Bob's Bicycles in Boise, Idaho. That's who I bought mine from and their customer service was excellent. I believe they still have a few 09 XC204s left over for well under $1,000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.