mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New question here. 204 vs 525 for my wife

My wife has expressed some intrest in riding with me and our son so I am looking for a bike for her. From listen to me and my riding buddies, she says she only wants a FS.

My LBS said they can give me a good deal on a new "old stock" KHS. Either the xc 204 or the xct 525 both 2009. The 525 seems to ahave a little bit better spec but is a larger bike both would be a size small, but the TT is ~1/2 inch longer and the SO is ~1.5 inches higher on the 525.

mtbr member
    A couple of things, what type of trails do you ride? How tall is your wife? Are they comparable in price?
    I started my wife on a low-end Mongoose, then quickly put her on an XCT535 (2008) last year. She is 5'4" and the small is fine. The fork on either bike is generally crummy, heavy, poor damping. The rear shocks are comparable for the most part. With all that said, if the price was identical, I'd get the 525, but if there was a price difference, the XC204 would do fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    RSabarese, My wife is 5'3" with an athletic build. We live in FL so there are no true up hills or down hills however there are a lot of steep up and downs. The local trail has quite a few roots mixed in between buff sections. The trails we would travel to range from very rocky and rooty ( Markham Park ) to buff and flowy ( Santos ). I would say Florida trails vary quite abit.

As far as price the 525 and 204 would be the exact same price.

She did ride Santos a couple of years ago on my Marin Mt Vision which is a 17" M frame. I dropped the seat and she seemed to manage fine on it. I know from experience having a proper fitting bike means a world of difference in how much you enjoy riding. Unfortunatley she can't test out either bike before buying it.

mtbr member
    The 525 would be a bit more capable trail bike with 5" of travel. The shock is decent, the rest of te components are Okay. If she really gets into it, the fork is the only suspect part. My wife at 5'4" has the seat up 3 inches from the bottom and she in no way looks stretched out by the 1/2" longer top tube. I'd go in the 525 direction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    RS, thanks man. Your wife is not to streached out? That is my concern the TT and the SO. I like the SRAM components and if she digs it I will through my REBA on her bike from my SS. Although I would prefer to get a fork with the correct amount of travel. I have been leaning towards the 525.

So you say the x-fusion shock is ok. The newest version of the O2 seems to get good reviews. Actually debated getting a x-fusion velvet instead of the Revelation I just got. Too good of a deal on the Rev to pass up a proven fork.

mtbr member
    No, my wife is not stretched out at all, the bike is relatively small. Differences of 1/2" is so minor and can be adjusted with a short stem (she is using a 90mm stem). Also, the Small 525 seems lower than it states of 30.4.
    On the shock, I have a lot of bikes, too many, and I have an 09 XCT525 in lrg that I alternate with my Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0, so both are 5" bike, On the Dakar, I have an RS Monarch 2.1 and on the XCT, the stock X-Fusion. They both feel good and in fact somewhat similar. There is not a ton of Platform in the X-Fusion, but I am heavier at 240 ish.
    Go for the XCT525, you won't regret it. I'd leave the stock forks rather than putting a 100mm reba, if will make the head angle steep. The Marz is rideable, just heavy and lacks sophistication.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks again for the info. I figured I could manipulate the TT with a shorter stem if needed. Is the stock 525 crazy heavy ? I know that no bike in my price range will be light. That also can be fixed later when she decides if likes it. Otherwise my son can take it over when he grows a bit.

My REBA is set a 115mm, but you are right I would just be better off getting a new fork when she surpasses the capabilities of the Marz.

Could you post up a pic of your 09 525? I would like to see what it looks like other than the catoluge pic. Thanks again man.

mtbr member
    It's kinda rainy here in the Northeast, but I try to take a photo over the weekend in it's current form. I've been using it on the road for the past month, so I have narrow tires on it and it may look a bit weird, but sure. It's a bright, hot red, and Chevy "hot red" touch-up paint matches it pretty good.
    As far as weight, it's not bad at all, around 31lbs and I have a Tora 318 Soloair. When I get done with a few builds I've got working for office bikes, friends bikes and etc, it's getting a 20mm Manitou Nixon @145 like my Dakar.

Below was the day I got it and a pic of the shock linkage since someone wanted to see my 08 and 09 compared.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 204 vs 525 for my wife-2009.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I dont know what the stock weigh is for the 525 but you could definitely build one thats sub-30 lbs. Mine came in right at 30.
    I'm hungry

www.sincycling.com
    Nov 2010
    if the xct is a bigger bike and the 204 fits her i would go 204 from my experience bigger isn't better in FS frame.

SC
    S.IN Cycling
    2023 W. Franklin
    Evansville IN 47712
    812-423-2524

Stocking Salsa, KHS, and Origin 8 products