Thread: Zed 20 Upgrades

mtbr member
    May 2007

Zed 20 Upgrades

Just bought my 7 yr old the Zed 20 (w/7 speeds). He's too small for a bigger bike with more gearing but our riding suggests he needs more. Can I upgrade the crankset and add a front derailur and shifter to this bike? If so, which crankset and components would be recommended? Thanks

Anthony

mtbr member
    My Kid has been able to ride with us using 6 speeds there is some waiting involved at times. Have you had you 7 year old out on the trail?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We've been on 5 or 6 rides so I'm sure he's still getting his riding legs under him... The last two rides were on more hilly terrain as well as some big sandy patches. Waiting is a given. By the way, does your kid wear any body armour? If so, what kind/model... My guy to a good grounding last time out. Nothing too bad... scrapped his elbow up but took a good shot to the chest. Thanks.

mtbr member
    No Usually just a helmet gloves and a hydration pack.
    My kid fell in front of the house just screwin around. This was
    5 days ago and except for her knee and a elbow she is all healed up.
    Last edited by doug4sail; 05-31-2007 at 01:03 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I hope she feels better...

mtbr member
    Thanks, Were going to ride bikes and Windsurf this weekend.

mtbr member
    Grimbot,

It should be possible to upgrade a Zed 20 with a double or triple crank and front derailleur, but it probably won't be easy or pretty. The two biggest obstacles to overcome will likely be routing a cable, housing and housing stop to pull the front derailleur, and finding the right combination of bottom bracket, crank and front derailleur that shifts well, but still work with and fit into the tight confines of such a small frame.

A freewheel swap would be a lot easier than adding a chainring up front. Recent Zed 20s have come with a standard 14-28T seven speed freewheel. Shimano makes a premium "MegaRange" seven speed freewheel in a 11-34T range that would give your son higher gears at the top end and a bail-out gear on the low end without a front derailleur. You will likely also need to swap out to a "MegaRange" compatible rear derailleur that can handle the shift to the 34T cog. You'll probably also need a longer chain. See links below for one source of these parts.

http://harriscyclery.net/itemlist.cfm?category=120
    http://harriscyclery.net/itemlist.cf...y&catalogId=39

I can't guarantee that this combination will work on the Zed 20, but it's a lot easier to source the parts and try it than changing to a multi-chain ring set-up. Good luck, and let us know what you learn.

Best Regards,
    The Kid
    T.K. Malone
    SMT Project Leader
    Proudly servicing and supporting BMC Swiss Cycling Technology