cool dude

some funky monkey questions

i had some questions i was hoping somebody could answer for me. first off what size seatpost does this bike use? also, i need a TOP PULL, TOP SWING front derailleur, is this correct? thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    i had some questions i was hoping somebody could answer for me. first off what size seatpost does this bike use? also, i need a TOP PULL, TOP SWING front derailleur, is this correct? thanks for any help.
    Hi Grant. I just finished building up my own Funky Monkey frame. Did you get yours from E Discount Bike?

The Seat post size you need is 27.2 - very common

The Front Der. is going to be a top pull 31.8.

I am planning on posting pix of mine soon. Hope you do the same with yours. Mine ended up as a freeride/urban bike... Looks great but I have yet to ride her due to the rains we've had here in So Cal.

cool dude
    i sure did get mine from ediscountbikes, i was pretty impressed with the service and very impressed with the price. thanks for the help. i am planning on setting mine up for mostly agressive XC but i want to build it tough enough to be able to drop the seat and do some urban/freeriding. what wheels are you using? i am looking for a decore disc/ sun rhyno lite set or something comprable and i am looking for cheap. any recomendations, jenson seems to have the best price for what i'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    i sure did get mine from ediscountbikes, i was pretty impressed with the service and very impressed with the price. thanks for the help. i am planning on setting mine up for mostly agressive XC but i want to build it tough enough to be able to drop the seat and do some urban/freeriding. what wheels are you using? i am looking for a decore disc/ sun rhyno lite set or something comprable and i am looking for cheap. any recomendations, jenson seems to have the best price for what i'm looking for.
    I was also very impressed with the service and price at e-disc. bikes.

I am using Shimano XT hubs front and rear, with Mavic 321 rims, straight gauge spokes and brass nipples. Built by Universal Cycles. I get a lot of stuff there. Nice people and fast shipping. Good prices too. Check em out... http://www.universalcycles.com/index.php WTB Timberwolf 2.5 up front, and a WTB weirwolf out back. You can see the full specs of mine at http://www.blackrune.com/ciaran/monkey.htm .

I think the way she is set up now is very aggressive XC/Freeride. Some stuff I am going to change... I want to put a derailleur up front and put an Evil bashring/chain device.

I am still getting used to her but so far she rocks! Super solid. I am going to take her out and give her a thorough testing this weekend.

gnar, brah
    I'm using that wheelset. Best imaginable price/strenght/weight ratio (can you even do a ratio with three things... ) Anyway, it hauls. Never have to worry about truing, esp. with disc stoppers. Gotta love that.
    Trestle Bike Park