mtbr member

Plan on buying Lithium 3.0 online, have a few quick ?'s

I've been searching for quite sometime and I think the k2 lithium 3.0 is the "best bang for the buck" for the type of bike I want ($799 at randall scott). I've never bought a bike online before and I see they offer a professional build for an extra $60. Do you think it would be worth it? I feel pretty confident I could assemble the bike myself, and then I could get a tune up from the LBS after test riding it a little. I'm not opposed to the pro build if you think it's a good idea.

I'd also like to get some different platform pedals and wondering if you guys had any recommendations? Thanks

mtbr member
    Unless you have been working on bikes for a while for safety sake I would get the
    Pro build. If you have been biking along time and working on bikes do it yourself
    you would already know all there is to know.

Good luck looks like a really nice ride.

Doug

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    when I got my lithium 3.0, I also wanted to DIY.
    I open the box then I realized that I need to assemble a headset and fork.
    (many of online bike usually pre-assemble headset, stem and fork).
    I searched around our LBS then I found the place to do it for $55.
    so I brought my bike to LBS to assemble it.
    if you are totally noob in MTB, pro built might be worth the money.
    you should call your LBS and ask them how much they will charge for new bike assembly before order from RS. (don't like shipping company handling bikes so you never know you might need another tune up.)

I really did not like OEM pedal so I bought aniaml platform pedal and Like it.
    paid $34 shipped (unsealed).
    you can see the pictures on my previous post here.
    my 2006 K2 Lithium 3.0 upgrade

Expert Crasher
    Good choice on the Lithium.

If I were to get platforms, I'd get the CrankBrothers 50/50 platform pedals.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I ordered the Lithium 4.0 from rscycles.com earlier this summer. I had them pro-build it. Out of the box it took no more than 15 minutes to assemble. Well worth it in my opinion.

Expert Crasher
    how are you liking your 4.0?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I am very satisfied with the 4.0. The geometry suits my style of riding and I haven't had any problems at all. The trails I ride are not very well defined and bike can take a serious beating in the woods around here (about 25 min. into my first ride I snapped a dereullier (sp?) hanger ) but everything else is holding up well.

What I really like is the extra $grand$ I saved over my friend who bought a Jamis Dakar which has the Shimano version of the SRAM components that my Lithium came with!!

I would like to loose about a pound off the back end as the balance point is too far back right now. I'm considering options but will likely just replace parts with lighter options as they break .

mtbr member
    I seem to remember someone mentioning that you need to have an authorized dealer build the bike in order to use the warranty, but you might want to check on that.
    Hi!
    Style: XC, Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy
    Rides: '06 K2 Apache 6.0, '01 K2 Razorback Team

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian
    I am very satisfied with the 4.0. The geometry suits my style of riding and I haven't had any problems at all. The trails I ride are not very well defined and bike can take a serious beating in the woods around here (about 25 min. into my first ride I snapped a dereullier (sp?) hanger ) but everything else is holding up well.

What I really like is the extra $grand$ I saved over my friend who bought a Jamis Dakar which has the Shimano version of the SRAM components that my Lithium came with!!

I would like to loose about a pound off the back end as the balance point is too far back right now. I'm considering options but will likely just replace parts with lighter options as they break .
    good deal. derailleurhanger.com carries the right hanger for the Lithium, I bought 2 when I bent my OEM hanger so I carry a spare.

The only way to really lighten the rear would be a lighter wheelset. I installed a PG-990 cassette which is lighter than the OEM PG-950. When I broke my OEM front wheel on a bozo landing from a jump, I upgraded those too, and after installing a Stans conversion kit, only dropped maybe 70 more grams. Basically - I 'd have to get a really light wheelset to do any further lightening and really light probably doesn't work with my really bad riding style!

mtbr member

Muchos Gracias

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'm going to do the pro build when/if I order the bike but I have a new dilemma now: I found an 06 Haro Shift r5 in excellent condition for about $600, so I'm torn again.

Any recommendations/advice??

mtbr member
    They both look really good. The bonus on the K2 is 5 inches of travel front and rear.
    The Haro has 5 front 4.5 rear? The K2 is a 4 bar linkage Haro is a single pivot.
    If I were buying I would go with the Lithium. But I own two K2s and two Specialized so I might be a bit biased .

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    good deal. derailleurhanger.com carries the right hanger for the Lithium, I bought 2 when I bent my OEM hanger so I carry a spare.

The only way to really lighten the rear would be a lighter wheelset. I installed a PG-990 cassette which is lighter than the OEM PG-950. When I broke my OEM front wheel on a bozo landing from a jump, I upgraded those too, and after installing a Stans conversion kit, only dropped maybe 70 more grams. Basically - I 'd have to get a really light wheelset to do any further lightening and really light probably doesn't work with my really bad riding style!
    Yep, bought two meeself when I ordered from dh.com - one on the rig and one in the bag. I won't have to worry about breaking one now (Murphy's Law dictates that as long as I carry a spare it will never break!)

Thanks for the tips on the weight reduction. I figured a wheel set would be the biggest impact. I'd like to drop 400 grams or more at the end of the day, if possible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doug4sail
    They both look really good. The bonus on the K2 is 5 inches of travel front and rear.
    The Haro has 5 front 4.5 rear? The K2 is a 4 bar linkage Haro is a single pivot.
    If I were buying I would go with the Lithium. But I own two K2s and two Specialized so I might be a bit biased .
    Actually the K2 is a faux bar bike. I actually like the way the faux bar rides compared to my old high single pivot bike. It's personal preference though. Either one will get you where you want to go. Pick the one you like best and learn to ride it.