mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Noleen Mega Air Question

I've got a 2000 Razorback RSX with the Noleen pull shock. Does anyone know what size of allen (hex) key fits the tiny, tiny setscrew below the rebound adjuster knob? This setscrew holds in a tiny spring and ball bearing to create the small clicks at each adjustment position. I need to know what size wrench is required to remove that set screw and put the ball and spring back. You can take it apart to rebuild the shock without removing them, but after they fall out you need to put them back in from the outside. The setscrew is smaller than the 1.5mm in my metric set and also even smaller than the 0.050" in the english set. I found smaller ones available for individual purchase from McMaster-Carr, and they're cheap. But I'd like to order a couple of the correct size, instead of one of each of the 5 sizes smaller than what I have. I'm hoping someone here can help. I think Noleen provides the correct wrench with their rebuild kit, but I sourced my own seals since I only needed to do the air side. Hopefully someone who has done a rebuild can tell me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    For anyone that needs this info - I found that you need a 0.035" allen wrench for this setscrew on the rebound adjuster. It cost less than 50 cents at a local industrial tool supply store. Also can be ordered online from McMaster-Carr.

My rear Noleen shock got fresh grease in the air cylinder (I used Dumonde MR grease), new O-rings under the rebound adjuster knob and schraeder valve (I think they were both size -008), and a new schraeder valve. No more leaks. I'm pretty sure the schraeder valve was the culprit, but I'm glad I went a little further into it and put in fresh grease. I left the oil side alone since it's never leaked or caused any other concerns.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Where did you find the O-rings? Mine won't hold air. I was just about to send it off for a $100 rebuild, but this might be worth a try. I guess I'll also check out the schrader valve, though I don't think it is the problem in my case.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Before you send it off, try it yourself. First replace the schraeder valve and the o-ring under the schraeder valve. These are the most likely culprits. You can do both without even opening the shock. I got the new schraeder valve from Auto Zone. You can find o-rings at a variety of places. Hardware stores, Tractor Supply (TSC), Industrial suppliers of hydraulic fittings, etc. They probably carry o-rings at Auto Zone too.

Or you can order a complete rebuild seal kit from Noleen.
    http://shop.noleenj6.com/category.sc?categoryId=6

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I accidentally turned the rebound all the way to the negative position and thought that the shock would not hold air. Once I tightened it all the way to positive it now holds air perfectly.