Riding or Fishing

New fork and brakes for my Zed 2.0 SE

Well, after many months of research, I finally broke down and had a new fork installed.
    I decided to go with a 2008 Magura Menja 100mm. My LBS offered me an awesome deal, that I just couldn't pass up.
    Here's a couple pics:

I honestly haven't had a chance to ride it yet. I sort of threw my back out riding down to the shop, overcorrecting through the snow, so I plan on taking it easy for the next week or so.
    I love the adjustability, and the lock out. Should come in handy during my on road commute to work.
    I also picked up a set of 2008 Avid BB-7's and installed them a few weeks back. I have only put about 50kms on them, but what a difference from my old No Name bargain basement discs.
    Here's a pic

Notice the salt and rust? We have more snow here in Toronto than we've had in years! I'm starting to think that it will be August before all the snow is gone and the trails have dried up! Don't worry, it has been, will be cleaned up.
    Last edited by musky; 03-04-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Typo's

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    looks very nice
    Actually, I did not know magura makes forks until I saw your picture.
    I was looking at used fox fork but now I change my mind to save some money
    by the way, what was the price?

Expert Crasher
    nice upgrade!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Riding or Fishing
    Installed, about $500 Canadian. I have no idea what th US selling price is.
    The only other option I was considering was a Fox FX100 (I think) that was on sale for $800. I think I made the right choice

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    what is the cable on right side of fork?
    is it lock-out handlebar knob (shifter) cable?

Riding or Fishing
    It's my trip computer.
    I do believe that there is a remote lock out available, but thats another $100 plus installation. Nearly everything I have read says that the remote is nice, but not necessary. I'll probably only lock out the fork on long road rides.

Expert Crasher
    how's the fork working for you?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Riding or Fishing
    I wish I could tell you.
    I had some slight back issues before getting it installed. While I was riding to the shop, I over corrected in some snow and completely muffed it up. It's finally starting to feel better, but still a little too sketchy to get out. I am hoping for an Easter ride though
    I'll be sure to post opinions when I do though!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by musky
    I wish I could tell you.
    I had some slight back issues before getting it installed. While I was riding to the shop, I over corrected in some snow and completely muffed it up. It's finally starting to feel better, but still a little too sketchy to get out. I am hoping for an Easter ride though
    I'll be sure to post opinions when I do though!
    after I saw your fork, I keep dreaming of magura fork
    I just bought used 08 magura durin. the seller told me that it's very good condition ($375 Shipped). Hope it will arrive soon. I guess I am in same boat with you. I hurt my middle finger last week and I won't be able to ride my bike for a while though.

Riding or Fishing
    Thats a sweet fork too!
    The shop I deal with doesn't carry the Durin, but carries the Laurin and the Wotan.....oh, the Wotan. What a gorgeous fork...
    If you head over to Maguras US website, there are user forums for basically everything they make. Great place with some very knowledgeable folk!

cup
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    dude, my fork is due to reach the lbs around may, cant wait man, but curious, other than the good deal that u got, why didnt u take other fork, say reba ? or the talas ? by the way how heavy are you, is the fork difficult to set up, i only have sun and rain in my country, no winter seasons. sorry for bombarding u with so many questions, am just really stoked about this fork..

Riding or Fishing
    I didn't go with a Fox fork due to price. A comparable 100mm travel Fox would run me a couple hundred more than I paid for the Magura.
    I'm a clyde for sure, around 275, and dropping. The fork came from the shop with only about 50 psi. I pumped it up to about 130 and its rock hard. I need to heal up so I can really tune it in to the way I would like it. It's really easy to set up, again, I just need to heal first to really work on it.
    I can't wait to put it through some trails!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Did you get your Menja with the seperate compression unit so you would be able to use the handlebar remote lockout? Cause im torn between going with Menja or a Reba

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chwesley
    Did you get your Menja with the seperate compression unit so you would be able to use the handlebar remote lockout? Cause im torn between going with Menja or a Reba
    I think you can't use remote lock-out option in 08 menja. I saw someone posted about this matter at magura forum. I might be wrong though. the manufacture web site said it's optional but it's not.

anyway, Do you really need a handlebar remote lockout?
    I also thought about Reba between 08 magura slight used durin or new menja.
    I really wanted to have a handlebar remote lockout but I bought Durin without a remote lockout option. yesterday, I received the durin and tried the fork about 2 minutes (I injured my finger so I won't be able to ride my bike for a while). I could reach the lockout cap/knob very easily and could turn it on or off like a butter (remember I injured my finger and could turn on and off ). I guess you only add some weight on your bike. anyway the fork is really light I can't give exact review on the fork yet though.

Riding or Fishing
    At first I wanted a remote lock out as well. I finally decided that I wouldn't need to use it too often, and when I would it would be mostly on road rides. The trails I ride don't really have long enough ups to require locking it out...at least I don't think. Time will tell I suppose.
    It is easy enough to lock out though for when I do need it. And there is one less thing on my bars.

Riding or Fishing
    Finally got a chance to play around with my fork a little bit today.
    I had about 135-140 psi. Fork worked well, but was a little too stiff for my liking. I lowered it down to 100, which was way too plush. Added about 20 psi, and now it seems to work quite well. I'm very happy so far.
    On a side note, because it sat so long with me cleaning it, I have some surface rust on my rotors. Whats the best way to remove it? I used some alcohol, which took some off, but there is still a little left.
    Suggestions?

Riding or Fishing
    Allrighty.
    Well, it's been a couple weeks, but I'm finally feeling good enough to ride.
    I hit a local trail with a friend and rode it for a few hours. I gotta say, it felt great to be back on the ride.
    My new BB7's are stellar. Just to see what they could do, I hammered em on during what I consider a fairly steep decline, being carefull not to endo. Well, they actually stopped me dead in my tracks! Considering my size, thats quite amazing, at least to myself.
    They ran nice and quiet all day without any rub at all. My riding partner actually said when it's time for him to upgrade from his Shimano (LX I think) mechs, he will go Avid as well.
    This was also my first time to really put my Menja through it's paces. Man, what a difference having a decent fork makes. It ate up bumps that my old crappy Dart would have buckled under. It's amazing what having decent components (finally) does for ones riding confidence!
    Here's a couple pictures from the ride today. Enjoy!